This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pollutant Emissions from the Latest Generation of Heavy-Duty Vehicles in Europe and China
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pollutant emissions from heavy-duty vehicles impact air quality and have substantial adverse health effects. Regulation is in place to limit the pollutant emissions of trucks and buses, to protect public health and the environment. In this study, we investigated the on-road emissions of modern heavy-duty vehicles in Europe and China compliant with current emission standards, Euro VI and China VI. Two buses and two trucks were measured over several different routes, and the analysis investigated the effect on NOx, PN, NH3, N2O, CO, and CO2 emissions. Additional NOx measurements were performed on seven trucks in Europe.
The emissions performance was evaluated using the provisions of the current Euro VI/China VI standards and the available, yet unofficial, Euro VII proposals. The analysis showed that vehicles exhibit high emissions in certain use cases that would be included in the regulatory scope based on the proposed Euro VII approach.
To comply with the available, yet unofficial, Euro VII proposal, NOx emissions from the tested HDVs would need to be 83% to 95% lower. For PN, the average reduction is 4%, with a maximum of 70%. Regarding NH3, the emissions should decrease by 43% and up to 79%. N2O emissions must have to improve by 37% and 89%.
CitationZacharof, N., Kazemi Bakhshmand, S., Niu, T., Rodriguez, F. et al., "Pollutant Emissions from the Latest Generation of Heavy-Duty Vehicles in Europe and China," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-1024, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-1024.
- Muncrief , R. and Sharpe , B. https://theicct.org/publication/overview-of-the-heavy-duty-vehicle-market-and-co2-emissions-in-the-european-union/
- Delgado , O. and Rodríguez , F. https://theicct.org/publication/co2-emissions-and-fuel-consumption-standards-for-heavy-duty-vehicles-in-the-european-union/
- Aminzadegan , S. , Shahriari , M. , Mehranfar , F. , and Abramović , B. Factors Affecting the Emission of Pollutants in Different Types of Transportation: A Literature Review Energy Rep. 8 2508 2529 2022 10.1016/j.egyr.2022.01.161
- European Commission http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=SWD:2018:185:FIN
- EC, Commission Regulation (EU) No. 582/2011 of 25 May 2011 implementing and amending Regulation (EC) No. 595/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council with respect to emissions from heavy duty vehicles (Euro VI) and amending Annexes I and III to Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council.
- Off. J. Eur. Union http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg/2019/1939/oj
- Yang , L. and He , H. https://www.theicct.org/publications/china%E2%80%99s-stage-vi-emissions-standard-heavy-duty-vehicles-final-rule
- Rodríguez , F. and Posada , F. https://theicct.org/publication/future-heavy-duty-emission-standards-an-opportunity-for-international-harmonization/
- CLOVE Consortium https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/e0063651-4e84-4b95-aac4-edb85a719764/AGVES-2021-04-27-HDV_Exhaust-v6b.pdf
- Kelly , S. and Sharpe , B. https://theicct.org/publication/california-us-hdv-omnibus-reg-jan22/
- Fuel consumption test methods for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (English Version) - Code of China https://www.codeofchina.com/standard/GBT27840-2021.html
- Rodriguez , F. and Badshah , H. x https://theicct.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/performance-EuroVII-recommendations-jul2021-2.pdf
- Guan , B. , Zhan , R. , Lin , H. , and Huang , Z. Review of State of the Art Technologies of Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx from Diesel Engine Exhaust Appl. Therm. Eng. 66 1 395 414 2014 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.02.021
- Ragon , P.-L. and Rodríguez , F. https://theicct.org/publication/co2-emissions-from-trucks-in-the-eu-an-analysis-of-the-heavy-duty-co2-standards-baseline-data/