This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Utilizing A Hybrid Engineering Approach for NVH Drive Evaluations in Virtual Prototypes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 12th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
As pressures mount to remove physical prototyping from the vehicle development process, there is a growing need for subjective evaluations of virtual prototypes. Virtually assessing NVH vehicle targets and using driving simulators to make those early critical design decisions is becoming a larger part of the NVH engineering process. Today this is only possible if you put a driving simulator at the center of your development process. Being able to drive and evaluate both test and simulation results simultaneously in a simulator allows engineering teams to leverage a hybrid engineering approach. By starting with measured on-road data from a physical vehicle, engineers can build virtual prototypes. By using this hybrid engineering process to incorporate CAE and test data together an engineer can create a virtual vehicle model with the desired NVH characteristics as a physical vehicle. While collecting test data can typically be a limiting factor without a prototype vehicle, the hybrid engineering approach allows for flexibility while gaining context from expanding the frequency range of evaluation using CAE and surrogate test data sets. This paper will share a generic example of how using the NVH Simulator allows for a vehicle subsystem to be substituted into a different vehicle virtually and make it possible to drive and assess subjectively NVH targets and performance at an early stage.
CitationBogema, D., Adriano, G., Hodgkins, J., Allman-Ward, M. et al., "Utilizing A Hybrid Engineering Approach for NVH Drive Evaluations in Virtual Prototypes," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0980, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0980.
- Williams , R. et al Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Capture and Understand Customer Opinions about Vehicle Sound Quality Proceedings of SIAT 2007
- Jennings , P. et al. Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Understand Driver Behaviour during Sound Evaluations SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2393 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2393
- Kavarana , F. , Taschuk , G. , Schiller , T. , and Bogema , D. An Efficient Approach to Improving Vehicle Acceleration Sound Quality using an NVH Simulator SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2190 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2190
- Bogema , D. Auralization of Vehicle Sound in Development and Production SAE Technical Paper 2014-36-0804 2014 10.4271/2014-36-0804
- Bogema , D. The Benefits of Experience NVH and CAE Data from Pre-Concept to Production Proceedings of the SIA Automotive NVH Comfort Conference Le Mans 2016
- Weilnau , K. , Horikawa , A. , Freeman , T. , Yamashina , K. et al. Virtual Powertrain Swap for Interactive NVH and Sound Quality Evaluation SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1476 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1476
- Hadjit , R. , Histed , T. , Joshi , S. , Talbot , A. et. al. Interactive Sound Quality Evaluation of an EV Virtual Prototype Inter-Noise and Noise-Con Congress and Conference Proceedings, Internoise20 2020