This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using PC-Crash to Analyze Motorcycle Slide to Stop Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
PC-Crash is an accident reconstruction program that enables the user to analyze vehicle collision dynamics and trajectory models. This research paper presents the utilization of PC-Crash to analyze motorcycle slide-to-stop dynamics.
For this study, existing motorcycle slide-to-stop data from SAE 2019-01-0426 will be simulated and analyzed in PC-Crash. The selected dataset consists of three motorcycles: a 2002 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, a 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6, and a 2013 Ninja EX300. Six of the thirteen slide-to-stop tests collected by Fatzinger  were simulated and analyzed in PC-Crash. The motorcycle initial ground contact speeds range from 37-52 mph. Parameters such as vehicle weight, sliding friction factor, motorcycle sliding trajectory, and yaw trajectory will be accounted for in each PC-Crash simulation. All tests were simulated using a 2D and 3D motorcycle model in PC-Crash. Additionally, calculated averaged slide-to-stop decelerations and slide-to-stop distances based on physical evidence were used and verified in the PC-Crash simulation.
CitationNguyen, B., Fatzinger, E., Tovar, J., and Landerville, J., "Using PC-Crash to Analyze Motorcycle Slide to Stop Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0822, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0822.
- Fatzinger , E. , Landerville , J. , Bonsall , J. , and Simancek , D. An Analysis of Sport Bike Motorcycle Dynamics during Front Wheel Over-Braking SAE Technical Paper 2019-04-02 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0426.
- Datentechnik , S. Operating and Technical Manual Version 12.1 PC-Crash Manuel 2019 https://www.pc-crash.com
- Cliff , W. and Montgomery , D. Validation of PC-Crash - A Momentum-Based Accident Reconstruction Program SAE Technical Paper 960885 https://doi.org/10.4271/960885.
- Rose , N. and William , N. Motorcycle Accident Reconstruction SAE International 2018-12-10 R-483
- Medwell , C. , McCarthy , J. , and Shanahan , M. Motorcycle Slide to Stop Tests SAE Technical Paper 970963 1997 https://doi.org/10.4271/970963.
- Thomas , C. , Enderle , B. , Gambardella , C. , and Trester , R. Measurement of Motorcycle Slide Coefficients SAE Technical Paper 961017 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/961017.