This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overmodulation Strategies for Dual Three-Phase PMSM Drives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A comparative analysis of overmodulation methods is performed in the generalized form in this paper. The generalized form is based on four segmented formulae, which streamlines the execution of the PWM module. The comparative analysis considers five aspects: actual modulation index, harmonic content, transition to six-step operation, modulation index linearization, and execution complexity. The main contributions of this paper are twofold. Firstly, a thorough assessment of conventional overmodulation strategies for dual three-phase PMSM drives is undertaken. Secondly, a modified Minimum Phase Error (MPE) overmodulation method is proposed to extend the overmodulation to six-step operation. The modified MPE is introduced with advantages of wider modulation index range, low harmonic components in voltages and currents, smooth transition to six-step operation, and simple implementation. The comparative analysis and the modified MPE method are validated on a dual three-phase PMSM with two three-phase modulators.
CitationZhang, Z., Taha, W., Mohamadian, M., Nahid-Mobarakeh, B. et al., "Overmodulation Strategies for Dual Three-Phase PMSM Drives," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0722, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0722.
- Halasz , S. , Varjasi , I. , and Zacharov , A. Overmodulation Strategies of Inverter-Fed AC Drives Proceedings of the Power Conversion Conference-Osaka 2002 (Cat. No.02TH8579) 3 1346 1351 2002
- Prieto , J. , Barrero , F. , Dur´an , M.J. , Mar´ın , S.T. et al. SVM Procedure for n-Phase VSI with Low Harmonic Distortion in the Overmodulation Region IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 61 1 2014 92 97
- Guo , X. , He , M. , and Yang , Y. Over Modulation Strategy of Power Converters: A Review IEEE Access 6 2018 69528 69544
- Abouzeid , A.F. , Guerrero , J.M. , Endema˜no , A. , Muniategui , I. , et al. Assessment of Overmodulation Strategies for AC Drives Considering Harmonics Content and Switching Losses 2021 IEEE International Electric Machines Drives Conference (IEMDC) 1 6 2021
- Zhao , Y. and Lipo , T. Space Vector PWM Control of Dual Three-Phase Induction Machine Using Vector Space Decomposition IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 31 5 1995 1100 1109
- Zhou , C. , Yang , G. , and Su , J. PWM Strategy with Minimum Harmonic Distortion for Dual Three-Phase Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motor Drives Operating in the Overmodulation Region IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 31 2 2016 1367 1380
- Paul , S. and Basu , K. A Three-Phase Inverter Based Overmodulation Strategy of Asymmetrical Six-Phase Induction Machine IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 36 5 2021 5802 5817
- Paul , S. and Basu , K. Overmodulation Techniques of Asymmetrical Six-Phase Machine with Optimum Harmonic Voltage Injection IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 68 6 2021 4679 4690
- Bolognani , S. and Zigliotto , M. Novel Digital Continuous Control of SVM Inverters in the Overmodulation Range IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 33 2 1997 525 530
- Hava , A. , Kerkman , R. , and Lipo , T. Carrier-Based PWM-VSI Overmodulation Strategies: Analysis, Comparison, and Design IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 13 4 1998 674 689
- Hadiouche , D. , Baghli , L. , and Rezzoug , A. Space-Vector PWM Techniques for Dual Three-Phase AC Machine: Analysis, Performance Evaluation, and DSP Implementation IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 42 4 2006 1112 1122
- Stumpf , P. and Hal´asz , S. Optimization of PWM for the Overmodulation Region of Two-Level Inverters IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 54 4 2018 3393 3404
- Kwon , Y.-C. , Kim , S. , and Sul , S.-K. Six-Step Operation of PMSM with Instantaneous Current Control IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 50 4 2014 2614 2625
- Lee , D.-C. and Lee , G.-M. A Novel Overmodulation Technique for Space-Vector PWM Inverters IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 13 6 1998 1144 1151
- Lee , H. , Hong , S. , Choi , J. , Nam , K. et al. Sector-Based Analytic Overmodulation Method IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 66 10 2019 7624 7632
- Taha , W. , Valencia , D.F. , Zhang , Z. , Nahid-Mobarakeh , B. , and Emadi , A. Adaptive Flux Weakening Controller for Dual Three-Phase PMSM Drives in Vector Space Decomposition IECON 2021 - 47th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society 2021