This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology to Validate the V-band Clamp Used in High-Temperature Sealing Joint of a Light-Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The stringent emission regulations demand highly complex after-treatment systems. The packaging and functional requirements of the after-treatment system demand very close coupling of the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) with the turbocharger outlet. The sealing effectiveness between the turbocharger and DOC is ensured by the V-band grooved clamp along with the suitable gasket. This V-band grooved clamp is widely used in diesel engines due to its ease of assembly and low cost. Since the V-band grooved clamp is subjected to a very high temperature, vibration, thermal shock, a robust and holistic validation is required to ensure the functional and safety requirements. Despite its wide range of applications, the testing and validation methodologies required to effectively validate the strength and other aspects of the clamp are not fully defined. In the present work, the authors discuss the various design validation methods involved during the development of the V-band grooved clamp.
Detailed finite element analysis was performed to determine the axial load generated by the V-band grooved clamp for the specified torque. The cross-section profile of the V-band grooved clamp was optimized to improve the axial contact pressure for the specified tightening torque. Moreover, the conical surfaces of the interface parts (turbocharger, DOC) were optimized together to achieve better results. The predicted axial load was validated by the experimental method and found to be having a good correlation. The typical construction of the V-band grooved clamp is to have a bridge at the middle which is welded to the clamp shells at both ends. Hence, validation of the welding joint is extremely important to assess the durability of the clamp design. A unique method was adapted to test the welding strength such as weld pull and weld-peel. The structural integrity of the V- band grooved clamp was confirmed by tightening it up to 125% of the nominal torque to ensure robustness. This was done to increase Factor of Safety (FOS) with higher loading to cater to the harsh real-world usage patterns. The part level inspection and sealing pressure measurements (Fuji-film) confirm that the design of the V-band grooved clamp was robust enough for the given application. The present work also gives an insight into the criticalities involved while developing a V-band grooved clamp for a mass-production light-duty diesel engine meant for Bharat Stage VI (BS-VI) emission regulations.
CitationGhadei, S., Dharan R, B., Vinaya Murthy, V., and Vellandi, V., "A Methodology to Validate the V-band Clamp Used in High-Temperature Sealing Joint of a Light-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0637, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0637.
- Hudson , C. Vee-Clamps Solve Flange Coupling Problems Diesel Engineering 1977 203 204
- Mountford , R. January 1980 37 40
- Shoghi , K. , Barrans , S.M. , and Rao , H.V. Classical and Finite Element Analysis of V-Band Retainers In NAFEMS World Congress 2003
- Barrans , S. , Khodabakhshi , G. , and Xu , Q. Contact Pressure Distribution in Joints Formed by V-Band clamps Advanced Materials Research 1016 2014 34 38
- Ladisa , P. and Santonico , G. Non Linear Finite Element Verification Approach for Marman Fitting in Space AIT Operations SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 7 2 2014 292 308 10.4271/2014-01-2268
- Barrans , S.M. and Muller , M. Finite Element Prediction of the Ultimate Axial Load Capacity of V-Section Band Clamps Journal of Physics: Conference Series 181 1 2009, August 012072
- Shoghi , K. , Barrans , S.M. , and Ramasamy , P. Axial Load Capacity of V-Section Band Clamp Joints 8th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging London 2006
- Guo , H. , Wang , D. , and Liang , E. A Methodology to Predict Axial Clamping Force and Anti-rotating Torque for V-band Joint SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1813 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1813
- Muller , M. and Barrans , S. Ultimate Axial Load Capacity of v-Band Clamp Joints Proceedings of Computing and Engineering Annual Researchers’ Conference 2009: CEARC’09 University of Huddersfield Huddersfield 14 18
- Guo , H. , Ahdad , F. , and Xie , D. A New Design of Low Cost V-band Joint SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2128 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2128
- Lin , Z. and Lin , P. Geometric Functions of Stress Intensity Factor Solutions for Spot Welds in Coach-Peel Specimens Eng Fract Mech 156 2016 141 160