This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Modeling of Single-Piston CR Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The injection strategy as well as the overall efficiency of the diesel engine are tightly related to the performance of the high-pressure injection pump. The paper deals with the modeling of a latest generation Common Rail injection pump, aiming at the characterization of its performance in terms of volumetric- and torque-efficiency. A lumped parameter approach is adopted; with reference to a commercial pump widely used in the field of light diesel engines, a dynamic model of the piston-cylinder pair is built, taking its mechanical drive, the hydraulic supply and delivery systems into account. Based on in-depth experimental activities that provide the performance diagrams of pump, the lumped-parameter model is built and assessed. Given the current strong interest in the use of alternative fuels that limit CO2 emissions, the pump model has been implemented to simulate, beside the standard diesel, the use of biofuel. The modeling assumption have been thoroughly described and the details of the pump loss models have been discussed, providing fundamental reference data for high-pressure pump simulation.
CitationCavallo, D., Chiavola, O., Frattini, E., and Palmieri, F., "On the Modeling of Single-Piston CR Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0502, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0502.
- Petrea , N.D. , Bujoreanu , C. , Ripanu , I.E. Influence of Ball-Seat Contact on the Noise Emissions from Common-Rail Pump Outlet VALVE Opening IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering IOP Publishing Bristol, UK 2018 042012 10.1088/1757-899X/444/4/042012
- Petrea , N.D. , Bujoreanu , C. , and Alaci , S. Analysis of the Noise Emissions of a Common-Rail Pump before and after an Endurance Test IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering IOP Publishing Bristol, UK 2019 10.1088/1757-899X/591/1/012064
- Qi , B. and Yong , Z. Tribological Study of Piston-Cylinder Interface of Radial Piston Pump in High-Pressure Common Rail System Considering Surface Topography Effect Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part J J. Eng. Tribol. 234 2020 1381 1395
- Wang , H. , Xiang , J. , and Wang , C. Simulation of Micro Motion of Common Rail High-Pressure Fuel Pump Plunger Neiranji Gongcheng/Chin. Intern. Combust. Engine Eng. 40 2019 65 71
- Iordache , R.C. , Petrea , N.D. , and Bujoreanu , C. Wear’s Issues on High-Pressure Common Rail Pumps IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 2020 724
- Ferrari , A. and Vitali , R. Instantaneous Torque, Energy Saving and Flow Rate Ripple Analysis of a Common Rail Pump Equipped with Different Delivery-Pressure Control Systems Int. J. Engine Res. 19 2018 1036 1047
- Cavallo , M. , Frattini , E. , and Palmieri , F. Fuel Influence on Single-Piston Common Rail Pump Performance SAE Technical Paper 2021-24-0063 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-24-0063
- Catania , A.E. and Ferrari , A. Experimental Analysis, Modeling and Control of Volumetric Radial-Piston Pumps J. Fluids Eng 133 8 Aug 19, 2011 081103 12 10.1115/1.4004443
- Chiavola , O. , Frattini , E. , Lancione , S. , Palmieri , F. Operation Cycle of Diesel CR Injection Pump via Pressure Measurement in Piston Working Chamber Energies 2021 14 5385 http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/en14175385
- Winterborne , D.E. Theory of Engine Manifold Design: Wave Action Methods for IC Engines Professional Engineering Publishing 2000
- Wilson , W.E. Performance Criteria for Positive-Displacement Pumps and Fluid Motors ASME Transactions 71 2 1949 115 120
- Nervegna , N. Oleodinamica e Pneumatica Torino Politeko 2003
- Blackburn , J.F. , Reethof , G. , and Shearer , J.L. Fluid Power Control John Wiley & Sons