This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multidimensional CFD Studies of Oil Drawdown in an i-4 Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computational study based on unsteady Reynolds-Averaged-Navier-Stokes that resolves the gas-liquid interface was performed to examine the unsteady multiphase flow in a 4 cylinder Inline (i-4) engine. In this study, the rotating motion of the crankshaft and reciprocating motion of the pistons were accounted for to accurately predict the oil distribution in various parts of the engine. Three rotational speeds of the crankshaft have been examined: 1000, 2800, and 4000 rpm. Of particular interest is to examine the mechanisms governing the process of oil drawdown from the engine head into the case. The oil distributions in other parts of the engine have also been investigated to understand the overall crankcase breathing process. Results obtained show the drawdown of oil from the head into the case to be strongly dependent on the venting strategy for the foul air going out of the engine through the PCV system. Results also show the dynamic holdup of oil in the steady operation to be highest near the crankshaft and pistons. Results are presented to show how the rotational speed of the crankshaft affects the nature of multiphase flow inside the engine and its influence on the drawdown of oil from the head into the case. The computational study was validated by comparing the computed volume of oil in the sump in steady state operation with the experimental measurements. The computational strategy presented in this study to simulate the crankcase breathing process can be most useful in guiding the design and development of engines.
CitationPandey, A., Schlautman, J., and Nichani, V., "Multidimensional CFD Studies of Oil Drawdown in an i-4 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0397, 2022.
- Dhar , S. , Afjeh , H. , Srinivasan , C. , Ranganathan , R. et al. Transient, Three Dimensional CFD Model of the Complete Engine Lubrication System SAE Int. J. Engines 9 3 2016 1854 1862
- Ranganathan , R.P. Engine Crankcase Pumping Flow Model SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0215 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0215
- Deighan , T. and Zuhdi , N. Crankcase Flow Modeling for a Racing Motorcycle Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0266 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0266
- Cunningham , G. , Kee , R.J. , and Boyall , J. CFD Prediction of Crankcase Flow Regimes in a Crankcase Scavenged Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 970361 1997 https://doi.org/10.4271/970361
- Oliva , A. and Wachtmeister , G. Numerical Simulation of the Multiphase Flow Phenomena in the Crankcase of an Internal Combustion Engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 231 12 2017 1718 1731
- Creaven , J.P. , Fleck , R. , Kenny , R. , and Cunningham , G. Laser Doppler Velocimetry Measurements of Flow within the Cylinder of a Motored Two-Stroke Cycle Engine-Comparison with Some Computational Fluid Dynamics Predictions International Journal of Engine Research 4 2 2003 103 128
- Fansler , T.D. and French , D.T. The Scavenging Flow Field in a Crankcase-Compression Two-Stroke Engine—A Three-Dimensional Laser-Velocimetry Survey SAE Technical Paper 920417 1992 https://doi.org/10.4271/920417
- Jorda Juanos , A. , Schlatman , J. , Parsons , N. , and Pandey , A. Numerical Study of an I4 Engine Oil Ejection During an Accidental Cap-off Running Condition for Two Baffle Designs SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0398 2022
- Launder , B.E. and Spalding , D.B. The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows Numerical Prediction of Flow, Heat Transfer, Turbulence and Combustion Pergamon 1983 96 116
- Hirt , C.W. and Nichols , B.D. Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries Journal of Computational Physics 39 1 1981 201 225
- Ahmed , R. and Lim , H. Study of Air-Core Vortical Flow Structure Induced by a Plughole Vortex Journal of Fluid Mechanics 823 2017 787 818
- Yin , X. , Zarikos , I. , Karadimitriou , N.K. , Raoof , A. et al. Direct Simulations of Two-Phase Flow Experiments of Different Geometry Complexities Using Volume-of-Fluid (VOF) Method Chemical Engineering Science 195 2019 820 827
- Pandey , A. , Khan , S. , Dekker , R. , and Shih , T.I. Multiphase Flow in a Liquid-Ring Vacuum Pump Journal of Fluids Engineering 143 1 2021 011404
- Srinivasan , C. , Yang , X. , Schlautman , J. , Wang , D. et al. Conjugate Heat Transfer CFD Analysis of an Oil Cooled Automotive Electrical Motor SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0168 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0168