This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of FE Modeling Procedures for Laser Welded Aluminum Structures in An Electric Vehicle Battery Module and Validation by Test Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High strength and thin materials are widely adopted in modern electric vehicles for lightweight design to achieve high energy efficiency. For battery modules, 5000 and 6000 aluminum are typically utilized as a structural material with a thickness range between 1 to 5 mm. Laser welding is one of the most optimum welding tools for joining such a thin material due to its unique advantages, e.g., high welding speed, high accuracy, high energy yet the smallest possible heat affect zone, etc.
This paper aims to develop a simplified yet effective FE modeling procedure to simulate the laser welding effects on the aluminum structures used in electric vehicle battery modules. A sequentially-coupled thermo-mechanical analysis procedure is developed to determine the softened zone size for aluminum weldments. Then a tie-rupture weld model incorporates the softened zone to predict the weld failure strength. The effectiveness of the developed modeling procedures is confirmed by a large number of coupon level weld strength tests. Finally, a module-level box pull test is simulated and validated by the test data with the knowledge obtained from the developed welding modeling procedure.
CitationSong, S., Jiang, W., and Ding, P., "Development of FE Modeling Procedures for Laser Welded Aluminum Structures in An Electric Vehicle Battery Module and Validation by Test Data," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0317, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0317.
- Braga , D.F.O. , Tavares , S.M.O. , da Silva , L.F.M. , Moreira , P.M.G.P. , de Castro , P.M.S.T. Advanced Design for Lightweight Structures: Review and Prospects Progress in Aerospace Sciences 69 2014 29 39
- Shawn Lee , S. , Kim , T.H. , Hu , S.J. , Cai , W.W. et al. Joining Technologies for Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Manufacturing - A Review, MSEC2010-34168, Erie Pennsylvania, USA
- Sasabe , S. , Eguchi , N. , Ema , M. , and Matsumoto , T. Laser Welding Characteristics of Aluminum Alloys for Automotive Applications Welding International 17 11 2003 870 878
- Zhao , H. , White , D.R. , and DebRoy , T. Current Issues and Problems in Laser Welding of Automotive Aluminum Alloys International Materials Reviews 44 1999 238 266
- Hong , K.-M. and Shin , Y.C. Prospects of Laser Welding Technology in the Automotive Industry: A Review Journal of Materials Processing Technology 245 2017 46 96
- Loveborn , D. , Larsson , J.K. , and Persson , K.-A. Weldability of Aluminum Alloys for Automotive Applications Physics Procedia 89 2017 89 99
- AlShaer , A.W. , Li , L. , and Mistry , A. Effect of Filler Wire Properties on Porosity Formation in Laser Welding of AC-170PX Aluminum Alloy for Lightweight Automotive Component Manufacture Journal of Engineering Manufacture 231 6 2017 994 1006
- Wang , L. , Gao , M. , Zhang , C. , and Zeng , X. Effect of Beam Oscillating Pattern On Weld Characterization of Laser Welding of AA6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy Materials and Design 108 2016 707 717
- Li , S. , Mi , G. , and Wang , C. A Study on Laser Beam Oscillating Welding Characteristics for the 5083 Aluminum Alloy: Morphology, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties Journal of Manufacturing Processes 53 2020 12 20
- Huang , L. , Hua , X. , Dongsheng , W. , Fang , L. et al. Effect of Magnesium Content on Keyhole-Induced Porosity Formation and Distribution in Aluminum Alloys Laser Welding Journal of Manufacturing Processes 33 2018 43 53
- Kim , Y.-G. , Kim , M.-H. , and Joo , S.-M. Experimental Investigation on the Laser Welding Characteristics of 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy Sheets The Japan Institute of Metals and Materials 2018 10.2320/matertrans.M2018048
- El-Batahgy , A. and Kutsuna , M. Laser Beam Welding of AA5052 AA5053, AA6061 aluminum alloys Advances in Materials Science and Engineering 2019 974182 9
- Hirose , A. , Todaka , H. , Yamaoka , H. , Kurosawa , N. et al. Quantitative Evaluation of Softened Regions in Weld Heat-Affected Zones of 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy - Characterizing of the Laser Beam Welding Process Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 30A 1999 2115 2120
- Tsirkas , S.A. Numerical Simulation of the Laser Welding Process for the Prediction of Temperature Distribution on Welded Aluminum Aircraft Components Optics and Laser Technology 100 2018 45 56
- Ramos , H.M.E. , Tavares , S.M.O. , de Castro , P.M.S.T. Numerical Modeling of Welded T-Joint Configurations using SYSWELD Science and Technology of Materials 2018 30 6 15
- Gooroochurn , Y. , Jiang , W. , Dwarampudi , R. , Tunga , V. et al. Coupled Weld-Rupture Analysis of Automotive Assemblies: A Study to Demonstrate the Impact of Welding Processes on the Performance of Weldments SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1076 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1076
- Dong , P. , Song , S. , and Pei , X. An IIW Residual Stress Profile Estimation Scheme for Girth Welds in Pressure Vessel and Piping Components Welding in the World 60 2 2016 283 298
- Song , S. , Dong , P. , and Zhang , J. A Full-Field Residual Stress Estimation Scheme for Fitness-For-Service Assessment of Pipe Girth Welds: Part I: Identification of Key Parameters International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 126-127 2015 58 70
- Song , S. , Dong , P. , and Zhang , J. A Full-Field Residual Stress Estimation Scheme for Fitness-For-Service Assessment of Pipe Girth Welds: Part II: A Full-Field Estimation Scheme International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 128 2015 8 17
- Song , S. and Dong , P. A Framework for Estimating Residual Stress Profile in Seam-Welded Pipe and Vessel Components Part I: Weld Region International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 146 2016 74 86
- Song , S. and Dong , P. A Framework for Estimating Residual Stress Profile in Seam-Welded Pipe and Vessel Components Part II: Outside of Weld Region International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 146 2016 65 73
- Pei , X. , Song , S. and Dong , P. An Analytical Method for Estimating Welding-Induced Plastic Zone Size for Residual Stress Profile Development ASME 2015 PVP Conference (PVP2015-45750) Boston, MA July 19-23, 2015
- Song , S. and Dong , P. Residual Stresses at Weld Repairs and Effects of Repair Geometry Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 22 4 265 277
- Song , S. , Paradowska , A.M. , and Dong , P. Investigation of Residual Stress Distribution in Titanium Weldments Materials Science Forum 777 2014 171 175
- Dong , P. , Song , S. , and Zhang , J. Analysis of Residual Stress Relief Mechanisms in Post-Weld Heat Treatment International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 122 2014 6 14