This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Aero Covers on Underfloor Wind Noise; Conclusions from a Wind Tunnel Validated Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Low frequency interior wind noise is typically dominated by underfloor flow noise. The source mechanisms are fluctuating surface pressure loading from both flow turbulence and acoustic field levels developed in the semi-reverberant cavity between floor and road. Previous studies have used computation fluid dynamics (CFD) to estimate the aero-acoustic loading applied to a vibro-acoustic model, which is then used to predict the transmitted interior wind noise. This paper reports a new perspective in two respects. First it uses novel surface pressure microphone arrays to directly measure the underfloor aero-acoustic loading in the wind tunnel. Second, it considers two different underfloor aerodynamic configurations - with and without lightweight aero cover panels, which are installed primarily to reduce aerodynamic drag. Results are presented showing the relative contributions of turbulence versus acoustic sources and demonstrating validation of the aero-vibro-acoustic model for predicting floor vibration response and interior wind noise. The model explains the measured effectiveness of lightweight aero cover panels in reducing underfloor wind noise. The model is then used to identify design changes capable of improving the noise reduction performance of aero covers.
CitationTerakado, S. and Bremner, P., "Effect of Aero Covers on Underfloor Wind Noise; Conclusions from a Wind Tunnel Validated Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Model," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0310, 2022.
- George , A.R. Automobile Aerodynamic Noise SAE Technical Paper 900315 1990 https://doi.org/10.4271/900315.
- Fahy , F. Sound and Structural Vibration Academic Press 1987
- Lyon , R.H. and DeJong , R.G. Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis Butterworth -Heinemann 1995
- Bremner , P.G. Vibro-Acoustics of Ribbed Structures - A Compact Modal Formulation for SEA Models Proc. Noismn 94 Florida 1994
- Cimerman , B. , Bremner , P. , Qian , Y. , and Van Buskirk , J. Incorporating Layered Acoustic Trim Materials in Body Structural-Acoustic Models SAE Technical Paper 951307 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/951307.
- Hucho , W.-H. Aerodynamics of Rad Vehicles 4th SAE International 1998
- Barnard , R.H. Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design; An Introduction MechAero 2009
- DeJong , R.G. , Bharj , T.S. , and Lee , J.J. Vehicle Wind Noise Analysis Using a SEA Model with Measured Source Levels SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1629 2001 https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1629.
- Bremner , P.G. and Wilby , J.F. Aero-Vibro-Acoustics: Problem Statement and Model-based Design Methods Paper No. AIAA 2002-2551, Proc. AIAA Aeroacoustics Conf Breckenridge, CO 2002
- Arguillat , B. , Ricot , D. , Robert , G. and Bailly , C. Measurements of the Wavenumber-Frequency Spectrum of Wall Pressure Fluctuations under Turbulent Flows Paper No. AIAA 2005-2855, 26th AIAA Aeroacoustics Conf Monterey CA May 2005
- Van Herpe , F. , Bordji , M. , Baresch , D. and La Fon , P. Wavenumber-Frequency Analysis of the Wall Pressure Fluctuations in the Wake of a Car Side Mirror Paper AIAA-2011-2936, AIAA Aeroacoust. Conf Portland OR June 2011
- Bremner , P.G. Vibro-acoustic Source Mechanisms under Aero-Acoustic Loads Paper No AIAA 2012-2206, 33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conf Colorado Springs 2012
- Powell , R. , Moron , P. , Balasubramanian , G. , Neuhierl , B. et al. Simulation of Underbody Contribution of Wind Noise in a Passenger Automobile SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1932 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1932.
- Todter , C. and Bremner , P.G. 2018
- Bremner , P.G. , Todter , C. , and Clifton , S.M. Sideglass Turbulence and Wind Noise Sources Measured with a High Resolution Surface Pressure Array SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2325 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2325.
- Eiselt , M. , Prill , O. and Bauer , E. Coupling CFD with Vibroacoustic FE Models for Vehicle Interior Low-Frequency Wind Noise Prediction SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2330 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2330.
- Okutsu , Y. , Akaike , Y. , Hamamoto , N. , Morinaga , Y. et al. Transmission Mechanism of Automobile Underbody Wind Noise San Diego NoiseCon 2019
- Shin , H. and Bolton , J.S. The Identification of Minimum-Weight Sound Packages Noise Control Eng. J. 66 6 2018
- Cordioli , J.A. , Stumpf , C. , Calçada , M. , Rocha , T. , et al Prediction of Sound Transmission through Door Seals Using the Hybrid FE-SEA Method SAE Tech. Paper 2010-36-0531 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0531.
- Yin , G.G. , Parrett , A. , Salazar Prieto , F.G. , and Roggenkamp , T.J. Experimental Study of Acoustic and Thermal Performance of Sound Absorbers with Micro-perforated Aluminum Foil SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1580 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1580.
- Teagle-Hernandez , A. , Ide , F. , Ichikawa , S. , Yabe , K. et al. Modeling of Micro-Perforated Heat Baffle SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1582 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1582.