This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Endurance Limit of Fasteners in Automotive Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fasteners, commonly used in automotive industry, play an important role in the safety and reliability of the vehicle structural system. In practical application, bolted joints would never undergo fully reversed loading; there always will be positive mean stress on bolt. The mean stress has little influence on the fatigue life if the maximum stress is lower than a threshold which is near the yield stress of the bolt. However, when the sum of the mean stress and the stress amplitude exceeds the threshold, the endurance limit stress amplitude decreases fast as the mean stress increases. The purpose of this paper is to research the fatigue endurance limit of a fastener and establish the threshold for safe design in automotive application. In order to obtain the fatigue endurance limit at different mean stress levels, various mechanical tests were performed on M12x1.75 and M16x1.5 Class 10.9 fasteners using MTS test systems. Results show that the fatigue failure mode of a bolt is different from that of uniaxial tensile failure mode while the fatigue endurance limit curves of the two specific fasteners are very similar. Through this study, a safe fastener design zone is proposed for automotive bolted joint design.
CitationMao, J., Lin, B., and Wu, Z., "Fatigue Endurance Limit of Fasteners in Automotive Application," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0260, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0260.
- Burguete , R.L. and Patterson , E.A. The Effect of Mean Stress on the Fatigue Limit of High Tensile stress Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Proc Instn Mech Engrs 209
- Yoshimoto , I. Fatigue Test by Staircase Method with Small Samples Bulletin of JSME 5 18 1962
- Dixon , W.J. and Mood , A.M. A Method for Obtaining and Analyzing Sensitivity Data Journal of the American Statistical Association 43 1948 109 126
- Lieberman , G.J. Tables for One-Sided Statistical Tolerance Limits Industrial Quality Control. 14 10 1958 7 9
- Juvinall , R.C. and Marshek , K.M. Fundamentals of Machine Component Design 5th New York John Wiley & Sons 2011
- Chiang , Y. , Nassar , S.A. , and Barber , G.C. Multi-Variable Effects of Fastening Parameters on Stress Development at Bolt Threads Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 115 5 2006 842 856
- Cioto , R. , Collares , A. , and Zuffo , C. The Effect of Delta Ferrite on the Fatigue Behavior of High Resistance Threaded Fastener SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0063 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0063
- Nassar , S. , Munn , B. , and Yang , X. Effect of Threaded Fastener Condition on Low Cycle Fatigue Failures in Metric Bolts under Transverse Loading SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0700 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0700