This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1D-3D Coupled Analysis for Motor Thermal Management in an Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Motor thermal management of electric vehicles (EVs) is becoming more significant due to its close relations to vehicle aerodynamic performance and power consumption, while computer aided engineering (CAE) plays an important role in its development. A 1D-3D coupled model is established to characterize transient thermal performance of the motor in an electric vehicle on a high performance computer (HPC) platform. The 1D motor thermal management model is integrated with the 1D powertrain model, and a 3D thermal model is established for the motor, while online data exchange is realized between the 1D and 3D models. The 1D model gives boundaries such as inlet coolant temperature, mass flowrate and motor heat generation to the 3D model, while the 3D model gives back boundaries such as heat transfer to coolant simultaneously. Transient simulations are performed for the 140kph(20°C) driving cycle, and the model is calibrated with experimental data. The calibrated model is then applied to the WLTC (15°C) cycle without further parameter modification, and the simulation results are compared with experiments. The comparison shows that the model can predict the system’s performance with satisfactory accuracy for engineering applications. Sensitivity analysis is performed for control parameters including cooling fan level and electric pump speed to investigate potential optimization opportunities. Effects of these two parameters on motor coolant and stator temperatures are shown and discussed. This work proves the 1D-3D online coupling method to be useful tool in motor thermal management design, especially at early stages of development.
- Heng Yi - Chang'an Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Ang Li - Changan New Energy Automotive Technology Co. Ltd.
- Richard Sun - Chang'an Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Yuanzhi Hu - Chongqing University of Technology
- Anjian Zhou - Changan New Energy Automotive Technology Co. Ltd.
- Jianming Zan - Chang'an Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Qianlei Peng - Changan New Energy Automotive Technology Co. Ltd.
CitationYi, H., Li, A., Sun, R., Hu, Y. et al., "1D-3D Coupled Analysis for Motor Thermal Management in an Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0214, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0214.
- Boulanger , G. , Chu , A.C. , Maxx , S. , and Waltz , D.L. Vehicle Electrification: Status and Issues Proceedings of the IEEE 99 6 2011 1116 1138
- Chan , C.C. , Bouscayrol , A. , and Chen , K. Electric, Hybrid, and Fuel-Cell Vehicles: Architectures and Modeling IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 59 2 2009 589 598
- Wang , Y. , Gao , Q. , Zhang , T. , Wang , G. et al. Advances in Integrated Vehicle Thermal Management and Numerical Simulation Energies 10 10 2017 1636
- Wang , S.W. , Zhang , Y. , and Hu , J.M. Thermal Analysis of Water-Cooled Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor for Electric Vehicles Applied Mechanics and Materials Trans Tech Publ 2014
- Xia , G. , Cao , L. , and Bi , G. A Review on Battery Thermal Management in Electric Vehicle Application Journal of Power Sources 367 2017 90 105
- Reyes , J.R.M.D. , Parsons , R.V. , and Hoemsen , R. Winter Happens: The Effect of Ambient Temperature on the Travel Range of Electric Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65 6 2016 4016 4022
- Tian , Z. , Gan , W. , Zhang , X. , Gu , B. et al. Investigation on an Integrated Thermal Management System with Battery Cooling and Motor Waste Heat Recovery for Electric Vehicle Applied Thermal Engineering 136 2018 16 27
- Kimotho , J.K. and Hwang , P. Thermal Management of Electric Vehicle BLDC Motor SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0134 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0134
- Chang , J. , Fan , Y. , Wu , J. , and Zhu , B. A Yokeless and Segmented Armature Axial Flux Machine with Novel Cooling System for In-Wheel Traction Applications IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 68 5 2021 4131 4140
- Lu , Q. , Zhang , X. , Chen , Y. , Huang , X. et al. Modeling and Investigation of Thermal Characteristics of a Water-Cooled Permanent-Magnet Linear Motor IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 51 3 2015 2086 2096
- Boglietti , A. , Cavagnino , D. , Staton , M. , Shanel , M.M. et al. Evolution and Modern Approaches for Thermal Analysis of Electrical Machines IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 56 3 2009 871 882
- Nategh , S. , Huang , Z. , Krings , A. , Wallmark , O. et al. Thermal Modeling of Directly Cooled Electric Machines Using Lumped Parameter and Limited CFD Analysis IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 28 4 2013 979 990
- Sun , Y. , Zhang , S. , Chen , G. , Tang , Y. et al. Experimental and Numerical Investigation on a Novel Heat Pipe Based Cooling Strategy for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors Applied Thermal Engineering 170 2020 114970
- Melka , B. , Smolka , J. , Hetmanczyk , J. , Bulinski , Z. et al. Experimentally Validated Numerical Model of Thermal and Flow Processes within the Permanent Magnet Brushless Direct Current Motor International Journal of Thermal Sciences 130 2018 406 415
- Fawzal , S. , Cirstea , R.M. , Gyftakis , K.N. , Woolmer , T.J. et al. Fan Performance Analysis for Rotor Cooling of Axial Flux Permanent Magnet Machines IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 53 4 2017 3295 3304
- Polikarpova , M. , Lindh , P. , Gerada , C. , Rilla , M. et al. Thermal Effects of Stator Potting in an Axial-Flux Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator Applied Thermal Engineering 75 2015 421 429
- Zheng , P. , Liu , R. , Thelin , P. , Nordlund , E. et al. Research on the Cooling System of a 4QT Prototype Machine Used for HEV IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 23 1 2008 61 67
- Liu , Y. , Gao , Q. , Zhang , T. , Cui , C. et al. Exploration of Interactive Thermal Influence Characteristics of Power and Air Conditioning System Based on 1D/3D Coupling Calculation in Electric Vehicle Underhood Applied Thermal Engineering 167 2020 114717
- Singh , S. and Abbassi , H. 1D/3D Transient HVAC Thermal Modeling of an Off-Highway Machinery Cabin Using CFD-ANN Hybrid Method Applied Thermal Engineering 135 2018 406 417
- Yi , H. , Sun , R. , Deng , C. , Zan , J. et al. 1D/3D Coupled Analysis for Battery Pack Thermal Management System in a Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle Chinese Journal of Automotive Engineering 9 06 2019 432 435
- Lu , P. , Gao , Q. , and Wang , Y. The Simulation Methods Based on 1D/3D Collaborative Computing for the Vehicle Integrated Thermal Management Applied Thermal Engineering 104 2016 42 53
- Lan , K.T. , Xiao , L. , Srinivasan , K. , and Rahman , S.S. The Impact of Vehicle Front End Design on AC Performance SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0859 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0859
- Bayraktar Computational Simulation Methods for Vehicle Thermal Management Applied Thermal Engineering 36 2012 325 329
- Yi , H. , Deng , C. , Gong , X. , Deng , X. et al. 1D-3D Online Coupled Transient Analysis for Powertrain-Control Integrated Thermal Management in an Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0237 2021 10.4271/2021-01-0237