This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding the Transient Behavior and Consistency Evolution of PEMFC from the Perspective of Temperature
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The temperature of proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) is the key factor restricting fuel cell’s performance. A deep understanding of temperature on stack voltage consistency and transient characteristics is necessary for improving the output performance of fuel cell. In this paper, the variation trend of consistency and transient characteristics of 20kW PEMFC stack at different temperatures is studied by experiment. In consistency, the amplitude of voltage changes and voltage difference (voltage coefficient variation σV) under different thermal loading conditions is examined. In transient characteristics, discussing the trends of transient voltage at different thermal loading. As the result, once the stack temperature increases from 65 °C to 70 °C, the stack performance and dynamic response are significantly improved, which may be caused by the rise in temperature promoting the establishment of the internal quality transmission channel. While, as the temperature further increases to 75 °C, the voltage coefficient variation σV rises from 0.029 to 0.031 at 1.0 A·cm-2, and the average voltage of single-cell decreased from 0.625v to 0.618v. This shows that the further increase of temperature will not lead to the increase of PEMFC stack performance. The results make known that temperature has two sides to the performance of the stack. The higher temperature improves the catalytic activity, aggravates the nonuniformity of water and heat distribution in the stack, but also leads to local hot spots and mass transfer loss, and reduces the consistency and transient characteristics of the PEMFC. These works provide a deep insight into the dynamic behaviors of the PEMFC and can help thermal management system controller design.
CitationWei, T., Chang, G., Dai, H., Yuan, H. et al., "Understanding the Transient Behavior and Consistency Evolution of PEMFC from the Perspective of Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0189, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0189.
- Li , Q. , Chen , W. , Wang , Y. , Shukui , L. et al. Parameter Identification for PEM Fuel-Cell Mechanism Model Based on Effective Informed Adaptive Particle Swarm Optimization IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 58 6 2011 2410 2419
- Askarzadeh , A. and Rezazadeh , A. Optimization of PEMFC Model Parameters with a Modified Particle Swarm Optimization International Journal of Energy Research 35 14 2011 1258 1265
- Ohenoja , M. and Leiviskä , K. Validation of Genetic Algorithm Results in a Fuel Cell Model International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 22 2010 12618 12625
- Gong , W. and Cai , Z. Accelerating Parameter Identification of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Model with Ranking-Based Differential Evolution Energy 59 2013 356 364
- Dai , C. , Chen , W. , Cheng , Z. , Qi , L. et al. Seeker Optimization Algorithm for Global Optimization: A Case Study on Optimal Modelling of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC) International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems 33 3 2011 369 376
- Chang , K.Y. The Optimal Design for PEMFC Modeling Based on Taguchi Method and Genetic Algorithm Neural Networks International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 21 2011 13683 13694
- Pukrushpan , J.T. , Stefanopoulou , A.G. , and Peng , H. Control of Fuel Cell Power Systems: Principles, Modeling, Analysis and Feedback Design London, U.K. Springer-Verlag 2004
- Xu , L. , Fang , C. , Hu , J. , Cheng , S. et al. Parameter Extraction of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Based on Quasi-Dynamic Model and Periphery Signals Energy 122 2017 675 690
- Priya , K. , Sathishkumar , K. , and Rajasekar , N. A Comprehensive Review on Parameter Estimation Techniques for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Modelling Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 93 2018 121 144
- Hu , X.S. , Yuan , H. , Zou , C.F. , Li , Z. et al. Co-Estimation of State of Charge and State of Health for Lithium-Ion Batteries Based on Fractional-Order Calculus IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 67 11 2018 10319 10329
- Yuan , H. , Dai , H. , Wei , X. , and Ming , P. A Novel Model-Based Internal State Observer of a Fuel Cell System for Electric Vehicles Using Improved Kalman Filter Approach Applied Energy 268 2020 115009
- Rezaei Niya , S.M. and Hoorfar , M. Study of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells Using Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Technique - A Review Journal of Power Sources 240 2013 281 293
- Heinzmann , M. , Weber , A. , and Ivers-Tiffée , E. Impedance Modelling of Porous Electrode Structures in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells Journal of Power Sources 444 2019
- Pivac , I. , Šimić , B. , and Barbir , F. Experimental Diagnostics and Modeling of Inductive Phenomena at Low Frequencies in Impedance Spectra of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells Journal of Power Sources 365 2017 240 248
- Malevich , D. , Halliop , E. , Peppley , B. , Pharoah , J. et al. Effect of Relative Humidity on Electrochemical Active Area and Impedance Response of PEM Fuel Cell ECS Transactions 16 2 2019 1763 1774
- Danzer , M.A. and Hofer , E.P. Analysis of the Electrochemical Behaviour of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells Using Simple Impedance Models Journal of Power Sources 190 1 2009 25 33
- Yuan , H. , Haifeng , D. , Xuezhe , W. , and Pingwen , M. Model-Based Observers for Internal States Estimation and Control of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell System: A Review Journal of Power Sources 468 2020