This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Hybrid Approach Combining LSTM Networks and Kinematic Rules for Vehicle Velocity Estimation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle speeds, in both longitudinal and lateral directions, are vital signals for vehicular electronic control systems. In in-wheel motor-driven vehicles (IMDVs), because no slave wheel can be used for reference, it becomes more challenging to conduct velocity estimation, especially when all wheels turn to slip. To reduce the dependence of speed estimation on physical plant parameters and environment perception, in this work, we develop a new method that estimates the longitudinal and lateral velocities of an IMDV by using the kinematic model with the Kalman Filter. For longitudinal velocity measurement, we propose a hybrid approach combining Long-Short Term Memory (LSTM) networks and the kinematic rules to obtain a reliable estimation. More specifically, when at least one effective driven wheel is available, that is, no-slip happening, the longitudinal velocity can be derived using the average of those effective wheels' rotational speeds. When all driven wheels slip, the information of longitudinal velocity can be provided by the LSTM network. The previous longitudinal velocity is augmented in the input features to improve the learning accuracy of the estimation. Moreover, the cumulative errors caused by acceleration integration are avoided, and the precision is thus improved. Finally, hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) tests are carried out on dSPACE/SCALEXIO to verify the feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed method.
CitationChen, H., Huang, W., and Lv, C., "A Hybrid Approach Combining LSTM Networks and Kinematic Rules for Vehicle Velocity Estimation," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0157, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0157.
- Imsland , L. , Johansen , T.A. , Fossen , T.I. , Grip , H.F. et al. Vehicle Velocity Estimation Using Nonlinear Observers Automatica 42 12 2006 2091 2103
- Wielitzka , M. , Dagen , M. , and Ortmaier , T. Sensitivity-Based Road Friction Estimation in Vehicle Dynamics Using the Unscented Kalman Filter 2018 Annual American Control Conference (ACC) Milwaukee, WI, USA August 16, 2018
- Welch , G. and Bishop , G. An Introduction to the Kalman Filter 1995 127 132
- Guo , H. , Chen , H. , Xu , F. , Wang , F. et al. Implementation of EKF for Vehicle Velocities Estimation on FPGA IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 60 9 2012 3823 3835 10.1109/TIE.2012.2208436
- Bloesch , M. , Omari , S. , Hutter , M. , and Siegwart , R. Iterated Extended Kalman Filter Based Visual-Inertial Odometry Using Direct Photometric Feedback The International Journal of Robotics Research 36 10 2017 1053 1072 10.1177/0278364917728574
- Zong , X.-Y. and Deng , W.-W. Study on Velocity Estimation for Four-Wheel Independent Drive Electric Vehicle by UKF 2013 Fifth International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation Hong Kong, China April 4, 2013 10.1016/j.inffus.2020.08.005
- Hu , G. , Ni , L. , Gao , B. , Zhu , X. et al. Model Predictive Based Unscented Kalman Filter for Hypersonic Vehicle Navigation with INS/GNSS Integration IEEE Access 8 2019 4814 4823
- Hu , G. , Gao , B. , Zhong , Y. , and Gu , C. Unscented Kalman Filter with Process Noise Covariance Estimation for Vehicular INS/GPS Integration System Information Fusion 64 2020 194 204
- Liang , C. , et al. Vehicle Lateral and Longitudinal Velocity Estimation Based on Adaptive Kalman Filter 2010 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (ICACTE) Chengdu, China September 20, 2010
- Huang , Y. , Zhang , Y. , Xu , Z. , Wu , Z. et al. A New Adaptive Extended Kalman Filter for Cooperative Localization IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 54 1 2017 353 368 10.1109/TAES.2017.2756763
- Ding , X. , Wang , Z. , Zhang , L. , Wang , C. et al. Longitudinal Vehicle Speed Estimation for Four-Wheel-Independently-Actuated Electric Vehicles Based on Multi-Sensor Fusion IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 69 11 2020 12797 12806 10.1109/TVT.2020.3026106
- Bevly , D.M. Global Positioning System (GPS): A Low-Cost Velocity Sensor for Correcting Inertial Sensor Errors on Ground Vehicles Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 126 2 2004 255 264 10.1115/1.1766027
- Caron , F. , Duflos , E. , Pomorski , D. , and Vanheeghe , P. GPS/IMU Data Fusion Using Multisensor Kalman Filtering: Introduction of Contextual Aspects Information Fusion 7 2 2006 221 230
- Leung , K.T. , Whidborne , J.F. , Purdy , D. , and Dunoyer , A. A Review of Ground Vehicle Dynamic State Estimations Utilising GPS/INS Vehicle System Dynamics 49 1-2 2011 29 58 10.1080/00423110903406649
- Gräber , T. , Lupberger , S. , Unterreiner , M. , Schramm , D. et al. A Hybrid Approach to Side-Slip Angle Estimation with Recurrent Neural Networks and Kinematic Vehicle Models IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 4 1 2018 39 47 10.1109/TIV.2018.2886687
- Hochreiter , S. and Schmidhuber , J. Long Short-Term Memory Neural Computation 9 8 1997 1735 1780
- Vig , J.S. Improved Navigation of a Vehicle Using INS/GPS with Line of Sight Measurements State University of New York at Buffalo 2005 ISBN 978-0-542-27156-4