This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Green Light Optimized Speed Advisory (GLOSA) with Traffic Preview
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
By utilizing the vehicle to infrastructure communication, the conventional Green Light Optimized Speed Advisory (GLOSA) applications give speed advisory range for drivers to travel to pass at the green light. However, these systems do not consider the traffic between the ego vehicle and the traffic light location, resulting in inaccurate speed advisories. Therefore, the driver needs to intuitively adjust the vehicle's speed to pass at the green light and avoid traffic in these scenarios. Furthermore, inaccurate speed advisories may result in unnecessary acceleration and deceleration, resulting in poor fuel efficiency and comfort. To address these shortcomings of conventional GLOSA, in this study, we proposed the utilization of collaborative perception messages shared by smart infrastructures to create an enhanced speed advisory for the connected vehicle drivers and automated vehicles. Two different algorithms were designed by utilizing the available traffic preview (Signal Phase and Timing (SPAT), MAP, and Collaborative Perception Messages), predicted traffic preview from these messages, and measurements from onboard range sensors. While in the first algorithm, the vehicle is controlled with a rule-based approach, a reinforcement learning-based approach is used in the second algorithm. The designed algorithms are then simulated in a simulation environment created in a MATLAB Simulink. Our simulation results demonstrated the effectiveness of the developed algorithms with better fuel efficiency performance and more comfortable ride performance.
CitationCantas, M., Surnilla, G., and Sommer, M., "Green Light Optimized Speed Advisory (GLOSA) with Traffic Preview," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0152, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0152.
- Cantas , M.R. , Kavas , O. , Tamilarasan , S. , Gelbal , S.Y. et al. Use of Hardware in the Loop (HIL) Simulation for Developing Connected Autonomous Vehicle (CAV) Applications SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1063 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1063.
- Altan , O.D. , Wu , G. , Barth , M.J. , Boriboonsomsin , K. et al. GlidePath: Eco-Friendly Automated Approach and Departure at Signalized Intersections IEEE Trans. Intell. Veh. 2 4 2017 266 277 10.1109/TIV.2017.2767289
- Balke , R.K. , Florence , D. , Feng , Y. , Leblanc , D. , Wu , G. , Guenther , H. , Moradi-Pari , E. , Probert , N. , Vijaya Kumar , V. , Williams , R. , Yoshida , H. , Yumak , T. , Deering , R. , and Goudy Traffic Optimization for Signalized Corridors (TOSCo) Phase 1 Project Report 1 11 2019 https://pronto-core-cdn.prontomarketing.com/2/wp-content/uploads/sites/2896/2020/02/TOSCo_Phase_1_Final_Report_-_CAMP_WEBSITE.pdf
- Asadi , B. and Vahidi , A. Predictive Cruise Control : Utilizing Upcoming Traffic Signal Information for IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol. 19 3 2011 707 714
- Jia , Y. , Wu , J. , and Xu , M. Traffic Flow Prediction with Rainfall Impact using a Deep Learning Method J. Adv. Transp. 2017 2017 10.1155/2017/6575947
- Bae , B. Real-time Traffic Flow Detection and Prediction Algorithm: Data-Driven Analyses on Spatio-Temporal Traffic Dynamics 2017 https://trace.tennessee.edu/utk_graddiss/4840/
- Cui , T. 2019
- Treiber , M. , Hennecke , A. , and Helbing , D. Congested Traffic States in Empirical Observations and Microscopic Simulations Phys. Rev. E - Stat. Physics, Plasmas, Fluids, Relat. Interdiscip. Top. 62 2 2000 1805 1824 10.1103/PhysRevE.62.1805
- Hegde , B. , O'Keefe , M. , Muldoon , S. , Gonder , J. et al. Real-World Driving Features for Identifying Intelligent Driver Model Parameters SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0436 . 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0436.
- Bae , I. , Moon , J. , and Seo , J. Toward a Comfortable Driving Experience for a Self-Driving Shuttle Bus Electron 8 9 Aug. 2019 943 10.3390/ELECTRONICS8090943
- Conventional Vehicle Reference Application - MATLAB & Simulink https://www.mathworks.com/help/autoblks/ug/conventional-vehicle-reference-application.html 2021
- ODOT, Marysville to Test Smart Intersections, 1,200 Connected Vehicles to Develop Road Safety Blueprint for U.S. Cities - Columbus Business First https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/11/20/marysville-to-test-smart-intersections-1-200.html
- Gelbal , S.Y. , Cantas , M.R. , Aksun Guvenc , B. , and Guvenc , L. Virtual and Real Data Populated Intersection Visualization and Testing Tool for V2X Application Development SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0164 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0164.
- Train DDPG Agent for Adaptive Cruise Control - MATLAB & Simulink https://www.mathworks.com/help/reinforcement-learning/ug/train-ddpg-agent-for-adaptive-cruise-control.html 2021
- Cantas , M.R. , Fan , S. , Kavas , O. , Tamilarasan , S. et al. Development of Virtual Fuel Economy Trend Evaluation Process SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0510 . Apr. 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0510.