This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Hardware in the Loop Testing of AEB Controllers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 29, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Current ADAS systems can improve vehicle safety directly influencing its dynamics, reducing the impact of human error while driving. These functionalities have a high impact on the complexity of each unit installed on the car, potentially increasing the development time. In this work, a Hardware in the Loop testing bench and methodology for Autonomous Emergency Braking system is presented, aiming to enable a faster system development process. A commercial production brake by wire unit has been installed on a real-time driving simulator. The AEB functionality of the unit is activable in real-time during the simulation, by the means of a customizable control strategy. Two different AEB controllers have been implemented: the first one reproduces the unit stock functionality, while the second computes the requested deceleration using a PID control strategy. The two controllers have been tested in standardized EuroNCAP Car-to-Car Rear (CCR) collision scenario, implemented on the static simulator. The performances are then compared in terms of time to collision threshold necessary to avoid the impact, deceleration request and jerk, and vehicle-obstacle distance. The proposed methodology highlights the role of the static simulator as a development tool, allowing complete and immersive testing of both hardware and control strategies, greatly reducing the development time.
CitationAlfatti, F., Garinei, M., Annicchiarico, C., and Capitani, R., "Design and Hardware in the Loop Testing of AEB Controllers," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0099, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0099.
- Khan , I. 2018 https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/specialist/observatory_en
- Cicchino , J.B. Effectiveness of Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking Systems in Reducing Front-to-Rear Crash Rates Accident Analysis & Prevention 99 2017 142 152 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2016.11.009
- Seacrist , T. , Sahani , R. , Chingas , G. , Douglas , E.C. et al. Efficacy of Automatic Emergency Braking among Risky Drivers Using Counterfactual Simulations from the SHRP 2 Naturalistic Driving Study Safety Science 128 2020 104746 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2020.104746
- Grover , C. , Knight , I. , Okoro , F. , Simmons , I. et al. n.d.
- Winner , H. , Hakuli , S. , Lotz , F. , and Singer , C. Handbook of Driver Assistance Systems Cham Springer International Publishing 2016 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-12352-3
- Maurer , M. , Christian Gerdes , J. , Lenz , B. , and Winner , H. Autonomous Driving Berlin, Heidelberg Springer 2016 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-48847-8
- Sinha , P. Architectural Design and Reliability Analysis of a Fail-Operational Brake-by-Wire System from ISO 26262 Perspectives Reliability Engineering & System Safety 96 10 2011 1349 1359 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2011.03.013
- Gong , X. , Ge , W. , Yan , J. , Zhang , Y. et al. Review on the Development, Control Method and Application Prospect of Brake-by-Wire Actuator Actuators 9 1 2020 15 https://doi.org/10.3390/act9010015
- Pugi , L. , Alfatti , F. , Berzi , L. , Favilli , T. et al. Fast Modelling and Identification of Hydraulic Brake Plants for Automotive Applications International Journal of Fluid Power 2020 https://doi.org/10.13052/ijfp1439-9776.2122
- D’hondt , T. , Forrier , B. , Sarrazin , M. , Favilli , T. et al. Modeling and Identification of an Electric Vehicle Braking System: Thermal and Tribology Phenomena Assessment SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1094 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1094
- Sorniotti , A. and Velardocchia , M. Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) Testing of ESP (Electronic Stability Program) Commercial Hydraulic Units and Implementation of New Control Strategies SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2770 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2770
- Soltani , A. and Assadian , F. A Hardware-in-the-Loop Facility for Integrated Vehicle Dynamics Control System Design and Validation IFAC-PapersOnLine 49 21 2016 32 38 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.10.507
- Ye , Y. , Zhao , J. , Wu , J. , Zhu , B. et al. Real-Time Automatic Test of AEB with Brake System in the Loop SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1450 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1450
- Montani , M. , Capitani , R. , Fainello , M. , and Annicchiarico , C. Use of Driving Simulator to Develop a Brake by Wire System Designed for Electric Vehicles and Car Stability Controls n.d.
- Stellet , J.E. , Vogt , P. , Schumacher , J. , Branz , W. et al. Analytical Derivation of Performance Bounds of Autonomous Emergency Brake Systems 2016 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) Gotenburg, Sweden IEEE 2016 220 26 https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2016.7535389
- Fischer , D. n.d.
- n.d. https://www.euroncap.com:443/en/for-engineers/protocols/safety-assist/
- IIHS-HLDI n.d. https://www.iihs.org/
- Shin , S.-G. , Ahn , D.-R. , Baek , Y.-S. , and Lee , H.-K. Adaptive AEB Control Strategy for Collision Avoidance Including Rear Vehicles* 2019 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC) Auckland, New Zealand IEEE 2019 2872 78 https://doi.org/10.1109/ITSC.2019.8916988
- Vinattieri , F. , Wright , T. , Capitani , R. , Annicchiarico , C. et al. Target Setting and Structural Design of an EPS-in-the-Loop Test Bench for Steering Feeling Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1559 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1559
- Talarico , E.M. , Raimondi , G. , Alfatti , F. , Vitaliti , D. et al. A Virtual Development Approach Using Advanced HiL Steering Bench Springer Vieweg n.d. 16
- Pančík , J. and Beneš , V. Emulation of Wheel Speed Sensors for Automotive Electronic Control Unit Industry 4.0: Trends in Management of Intelligent Manufacturing Systems: EAI/Springer Innovations in Communication and Computing Knapčíková , L. and Balog , M. Cham Springer International Publishing 2019 111 20 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14011-3_10
- Pusch , S. New Generation of Intelligent Wheel Speed Sensors for ABS Application SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0082 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0082
- Alfatti , F. , Annicchiarico , C. , and Capitani , R. Vehicle Stability Controller HiL Validation on Static Simulator IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 1214 1 2022 012044 https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/1214/1/012044