This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Derivation of a Theoretical Reactionless Drive, Using the Abraham-Lorentz Force (SAE Paper 2022-01-0054)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will briefly review the idea of a reactionless drive. It will then analytically derive a reactionless drive based on a specific application of the Abraham-Lorentz force. Simulated data on such a drive and its key characteristics will be discussed. A benchtop working model of the theoretical drive derived in this paper will be presented. Most schemes for a reactionless drive being proposed today rely on emissions of ions, particles, or light; however while these schemes work in theory, they produce minuscule amounts of thrust, even at perfect conditions. No reactionless drive has ever been demonstrated to work in practice at any scale. When such a drive is developed, space travel will open up tremendously due to the fact that spacecraft will not have to carry propellant fuel while cruising. Findings demonstrate how this reactionless drive is mathematically feasible.
CitationChen, E. and Cronin, T., "Derivation of a Theoretical Reactionless Drive, Using the Abraham-Lorentz Force (SAE Paper 2022-01-0054)," SAE Technical Paper 2022-01-0054, 2022, https://doi.org/10.4271/2022-01-0054.
- McClymer , J. arXiv e-prints 2019
- Higgins , A.J. arXiv preprint arXiv:1506.00494,
- Lobo , F.S.N. and Visser , M. Fundamental Limitations on "Warp Drive" Spacetime Classical and Quantum Gravity 21 2004 5871 5892 10.1088/0264-9381/21/24/011
- Smith , W.D. 1999
- White , H. et al. Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio-Frequency Cavity in Vacuum Aerospace Research Central 17 November 2016 10.2514/1.B36120
- Peyre , H. Straightforward EMDrive Setup with NASA-Like Cavities Progress In Electromagnetics Research M 101 2021 1 8 10.2528/PIERM20120902
- Cronin , C. https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-738312/v1
- Daboul , J. On Generalising Abraham-Lorentz Equation International Journal of Theoretical Physics 11 3 1974 145 147
- Jiménez , J.L. and Campos , I. A Critical Examination of the Abraham-Lorentz Equation for a Radiating Charged Particle American Journal of Physics 55 11 1987 1017 1023
- McCulloch , M.E. Testing Quantised Inertia on the Emdrive EPL (Europhysics Letters) 111 6 2015 60005
- Shawyer , R. EmDrive Thrust/Load Characteristics. Theory, Experimental Results and a Moon Mission Proceedings of the International Astronautical Congress . 2019
- Shawyer , R. Second Generation EmDrive Propulsion Applied to SSTO Launcher and Interstellar Probe Acta Astronautica 116 2015 166 174
- Steane , A.M. Reduced-Order Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac Equation and the Consistency of Classical Electromagnetism American Journal of Physics 83 3 2015 256 262
- Tajmar , M. , and Fiedler , G. Direct Thrust Measurements of an Emdrive and Evaluation of Possible Side-Effects 51st AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2015
- Tajmar , M. , Neunzig , O. , and Weikert , M. High-Accuracy Thrust Measurements of the EMDrive and Elimination of False-Positive Effects CEAS Space Journal 2021 1 14
- Williams , S. Mission Design and Trade Study Considerations for Reactionless Thrusters 53rd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2017
- Wu , Y. Reactionless Drive Mechanism and Its Stability Problems 17th Fluid Dynamics, Plasma Dynamics, and Lasers Conference 1984