This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on SS 304 Sheet Metal for Bending Process Optimization using Response Surface Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Productivity plays a vital role in manufacturing processes as well as in service. Sheet metal bending process is a type of forming process that has been used by the wide range in industries. There are several tangible and intangible factors affecting the production rate during the bending process. Spring back is one of the severe factors which affects the production rate, especially in stainless steel material. The spring back is mostly affected by material properties, sheet thickness, bending radius, die sizes and component geometry. In this paper, the spring back is studied by the effect of various parameters such as rectangle/oblong slots with varying pitch distance and without slots and bending time in the stainless-steel material 304 grade in V-air bending machine. The experimental data are evaluated by means of the Response Surface Method (RSM). Finally, it was observed that explored results have the betterment of the production rate with connection to spring back. The study reveals that the open slots on the bending line with pitch distance has a significant effect on spring back and eventual betterment in productivity.
CitationNATARAJAN PhD, B., SUBRAMANIAN, B., KANAGARAJ, K., and R, S., "Experimental Study on SS 304 Sheet Metal for Bending Process Optimization using Response Surface Method," SAE Technical Paper 2021-28-0268, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-28-0268.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Farsi , M.A. and Arezoo , B. Bending Force and Spring-Back in V-Die-Bending of Perforated Sheet-Metal Components Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Science and Engineering 33 1 2011 45 51
- Farsi , M.A. , Arezoo , B. The Effect of Punch Radius and Hole Location on the Spring Back of Components with Holes on Bending Surfaces 5th International Advanced Technologies Symposium 13 15 2009
- Nasrollahi , V. and Arezoo , B. Prediction of Spring Back in Sheet Metal Components with Holes on the Bending Area, using Experiments, Finite Element and Neural Networks Materials and Design 36 2012 331 336
- Gau , J.-T. and Kinzel , G.L. A New Model for Springback Prediction for Aluminum Sheet Forming Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 127 2005 279 288
- Bahloul , R. , Mkaddem , A. , Dal Santo , P. , and Potiron , A. Sheet Metal Bending Optimisation using Response Surface Method, Numerical Simulation and Design of Experiments International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 48 2006 991 1003
- Bahloul , R. , Ayed , L.B. , Potiron , A. , and Batoz , J.-L. Comparison Between Three Optimization Methods for the Minimization of Maximum Bending Load and Spring Back in Wiping Die Bending Obtained by an Experimental Approach International Journal of advanced Manufacturing Technology 48 2010 1185 1203
- Tekaslan , O. , Gerger , N. , and Seker , U. Determination of Spring-Back of Stainless-Steel Sheet Metal in “V” Bending Dies Materials and Design 29 2008 1043 1050
- Chan , W.M. , Chew , H.I. , Lee , H.P. , and Cheok , B.T. Finite Element Analysis of Spring-Back of V-Bending Sheet Metal Forming Processes Journal of Materials Processing Technology 148 2004 15 24
- Duc-Toan , N. , Seung-Han , Y. , Dong-Won , J. , Tien-Long , B. et al. A Study on Material Modeling to Predict Spring-Back in V-Bending of AZ31 Magnesium Alloy Sheet at Various Temperatures International Journal of advanced Manufacturing Technology 62 2012 551 562
- Lepadatu , D. , Hambli , R. , Kobi , A. , and Barreau , A. Optimisation of Spring Back in Bending Processes Using FEM Simulation and Response Surface Method International Journal of advanced Manufacturing Technology 27 2005 40 47