This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SCV Chassis Performance Optimization Through Parametric Beam Modelling & Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In automotive product development, design and development of the chassis plays an important role since all the internal and external loads pass through the vehicle chassis. Durability, NVH, Dynamics as well as overall vehicle performance is dependent on the chassis structure. Even though passenger vehicle chassis has a ladder frame or a monocoque construction, small commercial vehicle chassis is a hybrid chassis with the cabin welded to the ladder frame. As mileage is critical for sale of SCVs, making a light-weight chassis is also important. This creates a trade-off between the performance and weight which needs to be optimized.
In this study, a parametric beam model of the ladder frame & the cabin of the vehicle is created in COMSOL Multiphysics. The structure has been parameterized into the long member & crossmember geometry & sections. The model calculates the first 12 natural frequencies, global stiffness, and weight. It has been validated and further used for optimization study for the above-mentioned trade-off. The results give direction on critical crossmembers where the cross-sections should not be compromised and give a direction which crossmembers will be able to take the defined loads with a decrease in sectional property. Similarly, for long members it identifies critical load carrying zones and gives a scope of optimizing the cross-sectional properties. The study aids the design engineer in the development of the chassis. This method of beam modelling and subsequent optimization enhances the chassis performance which in turn also improves the overall vehicle performance.
CitationTHANAPATI, A., Bhalerao, M., Deshmukh, C., and Krishnan, H., "SCV Chassis Performance Optimization Through Parametric Beam Modelling & Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2021-28-0183, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-28-0183.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Annual Report April 2021 https://www.siam.in
- Shintani , K. , Abe , A. , and Yamamoto , Y. A Target Cascading Method Using Model Based Simulation in Early Stage of Vehicle Development SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0836 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0836
- Liang , J. , Powers , J. , and Stevens , S. Structural Optimization of a Pickup Frame Combining Thickness, Shape and Feature Parameters for Lightweighting SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 11 3 2018 183 192 https://doi.org/10.4271/05-11-03-0018
- Uhm , T. Body Cross-Sectional Stiffness Criteria for the Optimal Development of the BIW Weight and Torsional Stiffness SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0797 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0797
- Galos , J. and Sutcliffe , M. Material Selection and Structural Optimization for Lightweight Truck Trailer Design SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 12 4 2019 281 297 https://doi.org/10.4271/02-12-04-0022
- Uwe , T. , Rakesh , N. , and Inderjit , C. Base Frame Design of Lightweight Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0071 2009 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-26-0071
- Rajesh , H. , Patwardhan , M. , Karanth , N. , Bhatkhande , M. et al. LCV Chassis Frame Optimization Using Combined Simulation and Experimental Approach SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0289 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0289
- Bhalerao , M. , Krishnan , H. , Rawte , S. and Jeyevijeyan , R. Concept Level Performance Improvement in Frame with Light-Weighting FISITA Web Congress 2020, FISITA https://www.fisita.com/library/fisita-world-congress/2020/f2020-mml-026
- Bhosale , S. , Malladi , A. , and Londhe , A. Comparing Various Multi-Disciplinary Optimization Approaches for Performance Enhancement and Weight Reduction of a Vehicle Chassis Frame SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 9 2 2016 430 435 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0305
- Choi , Y. , Freeman , S. , and Letailleur , F. Constructing a Concept Vehicle Structure Optimized for Crashworthiness SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0613 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0613