This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Optimization of Battery Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
High vehicle emission resulting in increasing the air pollution day by day has challenged and forced the automotive industry to look for alternate and more environment friendly technologies. The transformation of the automotive industry in near future towards green energy solutions has also fuelled the technological advancement in this industry. In order to fulfil this requirement, Electrical Vehicles (EVs) have emerged as the best solution available till now. It has become very popular because of the zero emission and higher wheel-drive efficiency. The vehicle has some limitations in terms of performance, cost, lifespan & battery safety. The EVs have lithium ion batteries incorporated to cater the drive power requirement. In order to maximize the vehicle performance, thermal management of the batteries becomes very critical. The battery thermal management system (BTMS) has crucial role in controlling the thermal behaviour of the batteries. Several cooling methods are used for battery thermal management systems such as air-cooling system, liquid cooling system, direct refrigerant cooling system, phase change material cooling system, and thermo-electric cooling as well as heating system.
The present study describes the battery thermal management using the coolant i.e. liquid cooling system & demonstrates the battery performance at various conditions. The paper analyses the thermal heat load requirement of the battery with respect to various ambient conditions and optimize it accordingly. Typically, the cooling systems are designed to cater the thermal heating of the battery for both high & low ambient conditions. This paper shows the correlation between various parameter to its thermal performance. The overall system has been tested and performance were validated in the laboratory.
CitationSuman, S., Goel, A., and Kushwah, Y., "Design Optimization of Battery Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2021-28-0123, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-28-0123.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Huang , C.K. , Sakamoto , J.S. , Wolfenstine , J. , and Surampudi , S. The Limits of Low-Temperature Performance of Li-Ion Cells J. Electrochem. Soc. 147 2000 2893 2896
- Pesaran , A.A. Battery Thermal Models for Hybrid Vehicle Simulations J. Power Sources 110 2 2002 377 382
- Kim , H.S. , Cho , B.W. , and Cho , W.I. Cycling Performance of LiFePO4 Cathode Material for Lithium Secondary Batteries J. Power Sources 132 2004 235 239
- Vetter , J. , Novák , P. , Wagner , M.R. , Veit , C. et al. Ageing Mechanisms in Lithium-Ion Batteries J. Power Sources 147 2005 269 281
- Alaoui , C. and Salameh , Z.M. A Novel Thermal Management for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles IEEE Trans. Veh. Technology 2005
- Bandhauer , T.M. , Garimella , S. , and Fuller , T.F. A Critical Review of Thermal Issues in Lithium-Ion Batteries J. Electrochem. Soc. 158 3 2011 R1
- Alaoui , C. Solid-State Thermal Management for Lithium-Ion EV Batteries IEEE Trans. Veh. Technology 2013
- Ellabban , O. , Abu-Rub , H. , and Blaabjerg , F. Renewable Energy Resources: Current Status, Future Prospects, and their Enabling Technology Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2014
- Liu , X. , Deng , Y.D. , Chen , S. , Wang , W.S. et al. A Case Study on Compatibility of Automotive Exhaust Thermoelectric Generation System, Catalytic Converter and Muffler Case Stud. Therm. Eng. 2014
- Kim , S.Y. , Lee , K. , Park , S. , and Kim , J. Thermal Design Analysis and Performance Test of a 1 KW Thermoelectric Battery Cooler Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems-Proceedings of the Intersociety Conference 2014
- Maral , Y. , Aktas , M. , Erol , O. , Ongun , R. et al. An Examination About Thermal Capacities of Thermoelectric Coolers in Battery Cooling Systems J. Eng. Res. Appl. Sci. 6 2017 703 710
- Siddique , A.R.M. , Mahmud , S. , and Heyst , B.V. A Comprehensive Review on a Passive (Phase Change Materials) and an Active (Thermoelectric Cooler) Battery Thermal Management System and Their Limitations J Power Sources 401 2018 224 237
- Zhang , C. , Xu , K.-J. , Li , L.-Y. , Yang , M.-Z. et al. Study on a Battery Thermal Management System Based on a Thermoelectric Effect Energies 11 2018 279
- Li , X. , Zhong , Z. , Luo , J. , Wang , Z. et al. Experimental Investigation on a Thermoelectric Cooler for Thermal Management of a Lithium-Ion Battery Module Int. J. Photoenergy 2019 1 10 http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2019/3725364