This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Ethanol-Blended Fuel on Combustion Characteristics, Gaseous and Particulate Emissions in Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ethanol fuel blends with gasoline for spark ignition (SI) internal combustion engines are widely used on account of their advantages in terms of fuel economy and emissions reduction potential. The focus of this paper is to study the effects of these blends on combustion characteristics such as in-cylinder pressure profiles, gas-phase emissions (e.g., unburned hydrocarbons, NOx) and particulates (e.g., particulate matter and particle number) using both measurement campaigns and digital engineering workflows.
Nineteen load-speed operating points in a 1L 3-cylinder GDI SI engine were measured and modelled. The measurements for in-cylinder pressure and emissions were repeated at each operating point for three types of fuel: gasoline (E0, 0% by volume of ethanol blend), E10 (10 % by volume of ethanol blend) and E20 (20% by volume of ethanol blend). A digital engineering workflow combining high-fidelity physico-chemical modelling with advanced machine learning techniques was adopted to cover the entire load-speed operating window of the engine within practical computational times. Model parameter estimation and validation against measurements were performed with respect to the in-cylinder pressure profiles and emissions. Subsequently, the validated model was applied for further investigations.
The study demonstrates that the digital engineering workflow is capable of accurately simulating the effects of ethanol blended fuels on in-cylinder pressure profiles and trends in emissions, by simply modifying the chemical fuel composition to reflect the ethanol content in the blended fuel. Secondly, the calibrated model parameters behave well over the entire operating window, which is useful in simulating in-cylinder pressure profiles and emissions at new load-speed operating points, thus demonstrating the capability of the digital workflow to populate data and thus augment measurements. Finally, it was observed that the effects of ethanol content vary according to the operating conditions, e.g., particle number (PN) was found to decrease with increasing ethanol percentages for most of the engine operating points except at high engine load.
CitationLai, J., Lee, K., Yap, J., Yadollahi, B. et al., "Effects of Ethanol-Blended Fuel on Combustion Characteristics, Gaseous and Particulate Emissions in Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2021-26-0356, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-26-0356.
- Bhowmick , G. , Sahoo , T. , Bhat , A. , and Mathur , G. Approach for CO2 Reduction in India’s Automotive Sector SAE Technical Paper, 2019-28-2388 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2388
- Sarwal , R. , Kumar , S. , Mehta , A. , Varadan , A. , Singh , S.K. , Ramakumar , S.S.V. , and Mathai , R. Roadmap for Ethanol Blending in India 2020-2025 NITI Aayog 2021
- Awad , O.I. , Mamat , R. , Ibrahim , T.K. , Hammid , A.T. et al. Overview of the Oxygenated Fuels in Spark Ignition Engine: Environmental and Performance Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 91 2018 394 408
- Eyidogan , M. , Ozsezen , A.N. , Canakci , M. , and Turkcan , A. Impact of Alcohol-Gasoline Fuel Blends on the Performance and Combustion Characteristics of an SI Engine Fuel 89 10 2010 2713 2720
- Aleiferis , P.G. and Behringer , M.K. Flame Front Analysis of Ethanol, Butanol, Iso-Octane and Gasoline in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using Laser Tomography and Integral Length Scale Measurements Combustion and Flame 162 12 2015 4533 4552
- Lai , J. , Parry , O. , Mosbach , S. , Bhave , A. et al. Evaluating Emissions in a Modern Compression Ignition Engine using Multi-Dimensional PDF-based Stochastic Simulations and Statistical Surrogate Generation SAE Technical Paper, 2018-01-1739 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1739
- Lee , K.F. , Eaves , N. , Mosbach , S. , Ooi , D. et al. Model Guided Application for Investigating Particle Number (PN) Emissions in GDI Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper, 2019-26-0062 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0062
- Kraft , M. Stochastic Modeling of Turbulent Reacting Flow in Chemical Engineering Nummer 391 in Fortschrittsberichte des VDI 1998
- Kraft , M. , Maigaard , P. , Mauss , F. , Christensen , M. et al. Investigation of Combustion Emissions in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Injection Engine: Measurements and a New Computational Model Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28 1 2000 1195 1201
- Balthasar , M. , Mauss , F. , Knobel , A. , and Kraft , M. Detailed Modeling of Soot Formation in a Partially Stirred Plug Flow Reactor Combustion and Flame 128 4 2002 395 409
- Maigaard , P. , Mauss , F. , and Kraft , M. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine: A Simulation Study on the Effects of Inhomogeneities Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 125 2 2003 466 471
- Bhave , A. , Balthasar , M. , Kraft , M. , and Mauss , F. Analysis of a Natural Gas Fuelled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Exhaust Gas Recirculation Using a Stochastic Reactor Model The International Journal of Engine Research 5 1 2004 93 104
- Bhave , A. and Kraft , M. Partially Stirred Reactor Model: Analytical Solutions and Numerical Convergence Study of a PDF/Monte Carlo Method SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 25 1 2004 1798 1823
- Bhave , A. , Kraft , M. , Montorsi , L. , and Mauss , F. Sources of CO Emissions in an HCCI Engine: A Numerical Analysis Combustion and Flame 144 2006 634 637
- Bozza , F. , Gimelli , A. , Merola , S.S. , and Vaglieco , B.M. Validation of a Fractal Combustion Model Through Flame Imaging SAE Technical Paper, 2005-01-1120 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1120
- Poinsot , T.J. , Haworth , D.C. , and Bruneaux , G. Direct Simulation and Modeling of Flame-Wall Interaction for Premixed Turbulent Combustion Combustion and Flame 95 1 1993 118 132
- Lai , J. and Chakraborty , N. Effects of Lewis Number on Head on Quenching of Turbulent Premixed Flames: A Direct Numerical Simulation Analysis Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 96 2 2016 279 308
- Grasreiner , S. , Neumann , J. , Luttermann , C. , Wensing , M. et al. A Quasi-dimensional Model of Turbulence and Global Charge Motion for Spark Ignition Engines with Fully Variable Valvetrains International Journal of Engine Research 15 7 2014 805 816
- Kim , I.Y. and De Weck , O.L. Adaptive Weighted Sum Method for Multiobjective Optimization: A New Method for Pareto Front Generation Struct. Multidisc. Optim. 31 2006 105 115
- Regner , G. , Teng , H. , Van Wieren , P. , Park , J. et al. Performance Analysis and Valve Event Optimization for SI Engines Using Fractal Combustion Model SAE Technical Paper, 2006-01-3238 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3238
- Trimbake , S. , Malkhede , D. , and Devkate , P. Combustion Characterizations of Ethanol/Gasoline Blended Fuel in SI Engine Using Fractal Combustion Model SAE Technical Paper, 2017-26-0041 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0041
- Stein , R.A. , Anderson , J.E. , and Wallington , T.J. An Overview of the Effects of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on SI Engine Performance, Fuel Efficiency, and Emissions SAE International Journal of Engines 6 1 2013 470 487
- Yu , C. , Seslija , M. , Brownbridge , G. , Mosbach , S. et al. Deep Kernel Learning Approach to Engine Emissions Modeling Data-Centric Engineering 1 2020