This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Active Safety System for Motor Graders
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Safety of the operators in any equipment can be achieved by both passive and active systems. Passive safety system includes Seat belt, air bag, bumper, and other structural components which protects the operator from injuries during accidents. On the other hand, Active safety systems like Braking, Steering, Collision avoidance system, operator fatigue monitoring systems, etc., minimize and eliminate the accidents among which the Brake system is primarily used to control and stop the equipment. Considering the field operating conditions of motor grader, it is very essential to provide fool proof braking system to control and stop the equipment. In order to obtain maximum productivity the equipment speed is kept substantially high. Brake systems are operated using Air, Hydraulics, etc., among which the Air brake system offers simple and easy serviceability over hydraulic system. Integrated air operated service brakes and hydro pneumatic parking brake system designed and developed for 12 feet working blade class motor grader with BSIV emission electronic engine. Two independent criss-cross service brake lines designed to be fail-safe. As one service brake line fails, even equipment can be controlled and stopped by another service brake line. An internally expandable shoe brakes at all four driving wheels of the tandem axle provides effective braking without any brake lag. Low pressure warning signals in two independent service brake lines provided. Fool-proof sliding disc spring applied hydraulic release type parking brake at transmission output shaft actuated by Patented hydro pneumatic system prevents faulty usage by the operator. Electronic interlock provided to avoid gear shifting when parking brake is applied. Service and parking brakes are tested as per ISO 3450 standard and found satisfactory.
CitationKUMARAN, R. and hs, s., "Integrated Active Safety System for Motor Graders," SAE Technical Paper 2021-26-0137, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-26-0137.
- Rajasekar , K. , Karthikeyan , S. , Kumar , V. , and Satish Chandra , H.S. Hydro Pneumatic Parking Brake Actuation System for Motor Grader Application Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering - Trends in Mechanical and Bio-Medical Design Springer Publication 569 576 2020
- Mckinlay , A.J. The Phenomenon of Vehicle Park Brake Rollaway 2007
- Ishak , M.-R. , Taib , J.-M. , Bakar , A.-R.A. , Omar , W.-Z.W. et al. Brake Torque Analysis of Fully Mechanical Parking Brake System: Theoretical and Experimental Approach IngenIería InvestIgacIón y tecnología 19 1 2018 37 49
- Noble , V. , Frampton , R. , and Richardson , J. Er-gonomics of Parking Brake Application: Factors to Fail Proceedings of 2014 International Conference on Ergonomics and Human Factors: Contemporary Ergonomics and Human Factors Great Britain Loughborough University 2014 481 488
- Rozainia , A.H. , Ishak , M.R. , Abu Bakar , A.R. , and Mohd Zain , M.Z. Performance of a Fully Mechanical Parking Brake System for Passenger Cars 2nd International Conference on Mechanical Engineering Research Malaysia IOP Publishing 2013 1 10
- Thivagar , S. and Nantha Kumar , C. Automatic Hand Brake System International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science 4 1 2016 214 221
- Hong-Liang , W. , Nan , L. , Fan-Qin , G. , and Xiao-Ming , D. Research on the Hill-Start Control of Vehicles based on the Pneumatic Auto Parking Brake System International Conference on Mechatronics, Controls and Electronic Engineering China Atlantis Press 2014 42 49
- Amit , B. , Maske , S.B. , and Tuljapure , P.K. Satav.: Design & Analysis of Parking Brake System of Car International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology 5 7 2016 12578 12590
- The Central Motor Vehicles Rules, India 1989
- ISO 3450
- Scales , W. , and McCulloch , D.M. Best Practices for Compressed Air Systems, Compressed Air Challenge 2007