This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Assessment of an After-Treatment System Equipped with a Burner to Speed-Up the Light-Off during Engine Cold Start
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 05, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the next years, the upcoming emission legislations are expected to introduce further restrictions on the admittable level of pollutants from vehicles measured on homologation cycles and real drive tests. In this context, the strict control of pollutant emissions at the cold start will become a crucial point to comply with the new regulation standards. This will necessarily require the implementation of novel strategies to speed-up the light-off of the reactions occurring in the after-treatment system, since the cold start conditions are the most critical one for cumulative emissions. Among the different possible technological solutions, this paper focuses on the evaluation of the potential of a burner system, which is activated before the engine start. The hypothetical burner exploits the lean combustion of an air-gasoline mixture to generate a high temperature gas stream which is directed to the catalyst section promoting a fast heating of the substrate. In this work, an experimental test bench has been adopted to characterize the thermal transient of the after-treatment system when the burner-like system is activated, monitoring the temperature of the gas flow and the temperature of the metallic walls at different locations. Moreover, a CFD model has been developed to investigate the light-off of the reactions during the initial operation of the burner and the subsequent start of the engine. The model, developed on the basis of the OpenFOAM code, resorts to a multi-region approach, where different meshes are employed to describe the fluid domain and the solid regions, namely the catalytic porous substrates and the metallic walls constituting pipes and canning. Specific submodels are implemented to consider flow resistance, heat transfer, mass transfer and catalytic reactions occurring in the catalyst region. The CFD framework has been initially validated on the experimental data acquired on the test bench. The methodology has been then applied to the preliminary analysis of the catalyst light-off at engine cold start, considering a full exhaust line equipped with burner-like system.
- Augusto Della Torre - Politecnico di Milano
- Loris Barillari - Politecnico di Milano
- Gianluca Montenegro - Politecnico di Milano
- Angelo Onorati - Politecnico di Milano
- Federico Rulli - Ferrari S.p.A.
- Stefano Paltrinieri - Ferrari S.p.A.
- Vincenzo Rossi - Ferrari S.p.A.
- Francesco Pulvirenti - Ferrari S.p.A.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Sterlepper , S. , Claßen , J. , Pischinger , S. , Görgen , M. et al. Relevance of Exhaust Aftertreatment System Degradation for EU7 Gasoline Engine Applications SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0382 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0382
- Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Int. J. Advances & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2 5 2020 2479 2507
- Yusuf , A.A. and Inambao , F.L. Effect of Cold Start Emissions from Gasoline-Fueled Engines of Light-Duty Vehicles at Low and High Ambient Temperatures: Recent Trends Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 14 100417 2019
- Raman , V. , Viollet , Y. , and Chang , J. Development of Fast Idle Catalyst Light-Off Strategy for Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine - Part 1 SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0316 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0316
- Luo , X. , Hashemi , S. , Subramanian , R. , and Arvanitis , A. Fast Catalyst Light-Off with Dynamic Skip Fire SAE Int. J. Advances & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2 4 2020 1849 1861
- Hofstetter , J. , Boucharel , P. , Atzler , F. , and Wachtmeister , G. Fuel Consumption and Emission Reduction for Hybrid Electric Vehicles with Electrically Heated Catalyst SAE Int. J. Advances & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 3 1 2021 702 714
- Della Torre , A. , Montenegro , G. , Onorati , A. , and Cerri , T. CFD Investigation of the Impact of Electrical Heating on the Light-off of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0961 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0961
- Hepburn , J. , Adamczyk , A. , and Pawlowicz , R. Gasoline Burner for Rapid Catalyst Light-Off SAE Technical Paper 942072 1994 https://doi.org/10.4271/942072
- Hayashi , S. , Akai , M. , and Iwai , N. Study on the Intermittent Dual-Fluid Exhaust Burner (Ideb)-Burner System Without Fuel Supply Device and Air Blower for Rapid Catalyst Heating SAE Technical Paper 958621 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/958621
- zu Schweinsberg , A. , Klenk , M. , and Degen , A. Engine-Independent Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment Using a Burner Heated Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3401 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3401
- Weller , H. , Tabor , G. , Jasak , H. , and Fureby , C. A Tensorial Approach to CFD using Object Orientated Techniques Computers in Physics 12 6 1998 620
- Della Torre , A. , Montenegro , G. , Onorati , A. , Cerri , T. et al. Numerical Optimization of a SCR System Based on the Injection of Pure Gaseous Ammonia for the NOx Reduction in Light-Duty Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0356 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0356
- Churchill , S.W. Comprehensive Correlating Equations for Heat, Mass and Momentum Transfer in Fully Developed Flow in Smooth Tubes Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 16 1977 109 116
- Montenegro e , G. and Onorati , A. 1D Thermo-Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Reacting Flows inside Three-Way Catalytic Converters SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 2009 1444 1459
- Wieting , A.R. Empirical Correlations for Heat Transfer and Flow Journal of Heat Transfer 97 1975 488 490
- Koltsakis , G. , Konstantinidis e , P. , and Stamatelos , A. Development and Application Range of Mathematical Models for 3-Way Catalytic Converters Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 12 2-3 1997 161 191
- Tsinoglou , D. , Koltsakis , G. , and Jones , G.P. Oxygen Storage Modeling in Three-Way Catalytic Converters Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 41 5 2002 1152 1165
- Menter , F.R. Two-Equation Eddy-Viscosity Turbulence Models for Engineering Applications AIAA Journal 32 8 1994 1598 1605
- Della Torre , A. , Montenegro , G. , Onorati , A. , Paltrinieri , S. et al. Calibration of the Oxygen Storage Reactions for the Modeling of an Automotive Three-Way Catalyst Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 20 18 2021 6653 6661