This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Deterministic Method for Real Time Detection of Misfire for Smaller Capacity Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 05, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As per the OBD II regulations, it is essential to detect and monitor the misfire event in an I.C. engine. Misfire in the engine causes incomplete combustion or no combustion, which results into increase in emission of exhaust gases as well as early aging of 3W catalytic converter. Misfire event can be categorized as partial or full, based on amount of combustion occurred during that particular engine cycle. There are several techniques available in previously published work for the detection of misfire based on measurements of crankshaft speed, in-cylinder pressure, crankshaft torque, etc. However, low mechanical inertia and stochastic load disturbances of smaller capacity S.I. engine causes several challenges for these techniques and may not be accurate for detection of misfire in all the operating regions of the engine. Ion current sensing can be one of the most prominent method for detection misfire for smaller capacity S.I. engine. The time-varying ion current signal is captured with the help of ion current measurement circuit proposed by the author in her previous publication. The captured signal needs to be processed to detect misfire. Multiple techniques are explored in time domain to differentiate the misfire from normal combustion event with the help of the ion current signal. Real time Fast Fourier transform (RTFFT) is the method proposed in this paper to detect any kind of misfire for the mentioned engine type. The novelty of the proposed method lies in processing the signal information within a very short time window for the identification and classification of misfire events. Ion current signal shows lot of dynamics in normal combustion condition compared to that of misfire conditions. Frequency spectrum of the signal can be used to extract the essential information and to differentiate between no misfire and misfire conditions. RTFFT is performed to observe the features of signal in frequency domain. The misfire can be detected by extracting the information from the FFT spectrum of the ion current signal in every spark event. In order to capture misfire event at all engine speed, large sample sizes are required in traditional frequency domain approach. A design of FFT for real time processing of ion current signal demands very high speed and large memory hardware system. This paper investigate and propose a method to efficiently implement the RTFFT algorithm. Hardware implementation of RTFFT algorithm on the field programmable gate array (FPGA) platform is presented in this paper for high speed and accurate detection of misfire.
CitationBagade, M., Das, H., and Jabez Dhinagar, S., "A Deterministic Method for Real Time Detection of Misfire for Smaller Capacity Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2021-24-0031, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-24-0031.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Bagade , M. , Das , H. , Raveendranath , A. Sr. , and Jabez Dhinagar , S. A Novel Design of Engine Misfire Detection System Suitable for Small Capacity S.I. Engine for Two Wheeled Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0267 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0267
- Cavina , N. , Poggio , L. , and Sartoni , G. Misfire and Partial Burn Detection Based on Ion Current Measurement SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2011 2451 2460 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0142
- Plapp , G. , Klenk , M. , and Moser , W. Methods of On-Board Misfire Detection SAE Technical Paper 900232 1990 https://doi.org/10.4271/900232
- Förster , J. , Lohmann , A. , Mezger , M. , and Ries-Müller , K. Advanced Engine Misfire Detection for SI-Engines SAE Technical Paper 970855 1997 https://doi.org/10.4271/970855
- Sendyka , B. and Filipczyk , J. Simulation of the Characteristic of a Carburettor of an IC Engine SAE World Congress 1995
- Klenk , M. , Moser , W. , Mueller , W. , and Wimmer , W. Misfire Detection by Evaluating Crankshaft Speed - A Means to Comply with OBDII SAE Technical Paper 930399 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/930399
- Tsai , H.-C. , Gao , B.-Y. , Chiang , M.-H. , Chen , B.-C. et al. Misfire Diagnostic Strategy for Motorcycles SAE Technical Paper 2013-32-9058 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9058
- Siano , D. and D’Agostino , D. Knock Detection in SI Engines by Using the Discrete Wavelet Transform of the Engine Block Vibrational Signals Energy Procedia 81 2015 673 688
- Kearney , M. Knock Signal Conditioning Using the Discrete Fourier Transform and Variable Detection Window Length SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1509 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1509
- Lonari , Y. , Polonowski , C. , Naber , J. , and Chen , B. Stochastic Knock Detection Model for Spark Ignited Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1421 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1421
- Wilstermann , H. , Greiner , A. , Hohner , P. , Kemmler , R. et al. Ignition System Integrated AC Ion Current Sensing for Robust and Reliable Online Engine Control SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0553 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0553
- Abd-Alla , T. , Pucher , G. , Bardon , M. , and Gardiner , D. Effects of Spark Characteristics on Engine Combustion with Gasoline and Propane SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3264 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3264
- Yu , X. , Yu , S. , Yang , Z. , Tan , Q. et al. Improvement on Energy Efficiency of the Spark Ignition System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0678 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0678
- Jerzy , M. , Piotr , B. , and Rafal , G. Overview Of Engine Misfire Detection Methods Used in on Board Diagnostics Journal of Kones. Combustion Engines 8 1-2 2001
- Nakata , K. ; Mogi , K. et.al.
- Lee , A. and Pyko , J. Engine Misfire Detection by Ionization Current Monitoring SAE Technical Paper 950003 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950003
- Förster , J. , Günther , A. , Ketterer , M. , and Wald , K. Ion Current Sensing for Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0204 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0204
- Grimaldi , A. , Mucciarella , L. , and Virgilii , F. Study of Ion Current Based Misfire Detection in Motorcycle Applications SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0011 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-32-0011
- Raymond , B. Jr.
- Lakshmipathi , S.M. and Deshpande , S.
- Gerardin , R. , Huallpa , B. , Alves , M. , and de França Arruda , J. Analysis of Spark Ignition Engine Knock Signals using Fourier and Discrete Wavelet Transform SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0312 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0312
- Brigham , E.O. and Morrow , R.E. The Fast Fourier Transform IEEE Spectrum 4 12 Dec. 1967 63 70 10.1109/MSPEC.1967.5217220
- Gürbüz , H. Experimental Evaluation of Combustion Parameters with Ion-Current Sensor Integrated to Fast Response Thermocouple in SI Engine Journal of Energy Engineering 143 2 2017 10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000401