This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methane Conversion and Ammonia Formation Model over a Pd-Rh Three-Way Catalyst for CNG Heavy-Duty Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 05, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Research activities in the development of reliable computational models for aftertreatment systems are constantly increasing in the automotive field. These investigations are essential in order to get a complete understanding of the main catalytic processes which clearly have a great impact on tailpipe emissions.
In this work, a 1D chemical reaction model to simulate the catalytic activity of a Pd/Rh Three-Way Catalyst (TWC) for a Natural Gas heavy-duty engine is presented.
An extensive database of tests carried out with the use of a Synthetic Gas Bench (SGB) has been collected to investigate the methane abatement pathways, linked to the lambda variation and oxide formation on palladium surface. Specific steady-state tests have shown a dynamics of the methane conversion even at fixed λ and temperature conditions, essentially due to the Pd/PdO ratio. Furthermore, combining the results of such test with dedicated Rich-Lean λ transitions it has been demonstrated that the presence of NO reduces the rate of the methane oxidation reaction.
Given the high reliability of the experimental data and the possibility of managing the chemical composition of the gas entering the catalyst, important aspects related to the NH3 formation were analyzed. In the proposed kinetic scheme, NH3 decomposition phenomena are also present at high temperature due to the presence of Rh in the catalyst.
Reactions involving Cerium for oxygen storage and release characterization are included in the proposed model in addition to the surface reaction mechanism, reasonably determining the TWC conversion efficiency of the main species.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Thiruvengadam , A. , Besch , M. , Padmanaban , V. , Pradhan , S. et al. Natural Gas Vehicles in Heavy-Duty Transportation-A Review Energy Policy 122 2018 253 259 10.1016/j.enpol.2018.07.052
- Koltsakis , G.C. and Stamatelos , A.M. Catalytic Automotive Exhaust Aftertreatment Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 23 1 1997 1 39 10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00003-8
- Tsinoglou , D.N. , Koltsakis , G.C. , and Peyton Jones , J.C. Oxygen Storage Modeling in Three-Way Catalytic Converters Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 41 5 2002 1152 1165 10.1021/ie010576c
- Holder , R. , Bollig , M. , Anderson , D.R. , and Hochmuth , J.K. A Discussion on Transport Phenomena and Three-Way Kinetics of Monolithic Converters Chemical Engineering Science 61 2006 8010 8027 10.1016/j.ces.2006.09.030
- Papetti , V. , Dimopoulos Eggenschwiler , P. , Emmanouil , V. , and Koltsakis , G. Analysis of TWC Characteristics in a Euro6 Gasoline Light Duty Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0162 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0162
- Tsinoglou , D.N. and Weilenmann , M. A Simplified Three-Way Catalyst Model for Transient Hot-mode Driving Cycles Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 48 4 2009 1772 1785 10.1021/ie8010325
- Raj , B.A. A Review of Mobile and Stationary Source Emissions Abatement Technologies for Natural Gas Engines Johnson Matthey Tech 60 2016 228 235 10.1595/205651316x692554
- Stotz , H. , Maier , L. , Boubnov , A. , Gremminger , A.T. et al. Surface Reaction Kinetics of Methane Oxidation over PdO Journal of Catalysis 370 2019 152 175 10.1016/j.jcat.2018.12.007
- Stotz , H. , Maier , L. , and Deutschmann , O. Methane Oxidation over Palladium: On the Mechanism in Fuel-Rich Mixtures at High Temperatures Topics in Catalysis 60 2017 83 109 10.1007/s11244-016-0717-5
- Groppi , G. , Cristiani , C. , Lietti , L. , and Forzatti , P. Study of PdO/Pd Transformation over Alumina Supported Catalysts for Natural Gas Combustion Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis 130 2000 3801 3806 10.1016/S0167-2991(00)80615-1
- Farrauto , R.J. , Hobson , M.C. , Kennelly , T. , and Waterman , E.M. Catalytic Chemistry of Supported Palladium for Combustion of Methane Applied Catalysis A: General 81 2 1992 227 237 10.1016/0926-860X(92)80095-T
- Di Maio , D. , Beatrice , C. , Fraioli , V. , Napolitano , P. et al. Modeling of Three-Way Catalyst Dynamics for a Compressed Natural Gas Engine during Lean-Rich Transitions Applied Science 9 21 2019 4610 10.3390/app9214610
- Adam , F. , Schoenhaber , J. , and Wagner , A. Synthetic Gas Bench (SGB) Tests Simulating Real and Dynamic Driving Conditions: A New and Cost Attractive Method for TWC Evaluation SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1066 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01- 1066
- Hayes , R.E. , Kolaczkowskib , S.T. , Li , P.K.C. , and Awdry , S. Evaluating the Effective Diffusivity of Methane in the Washcoat of a Honeycomb Monolith Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 25 2-3 2000 93 104 10.1016/S0926-3373(99)00122-8
- Axisuite 2017
- Voltz , S.E. , Morgan , C.R. , Liederman , D. , and Jacob , S.M. Kinetic Study of Carbon Monoxide and Propylene Oxidation on Platinum Catalysts Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev. 12 1973 294 10.1021/i360048a006
- Möller , R. , Votsmeier , M. , Onder , C. , Guzzella , L. et al. Is Oxygen Storage in Three-Way Catalysts an Equilibrium Controlled Process? Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 91 1-2 2009 30 38 10.1016/j.apcatb.2009.05.003
- Bounechada , D. , Groppi , G. , Forzatti , P. , Kallinen , K. et al. Effect of Periodic Lean/rich Switch on Methane Conversion over a Ce-Zr Promoted Pd-Rh/Al 2 O 3 Catalyst in the Exhausts of Natural Gas Vehicles Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 119-120 2012 91 99 10.1016/j.apcatb.2012.02.025
- Ferri , D. , Elsener , M. , and Kröcher , O. Methane Oxidation over a Honeycomb Pd-only Three-way Catalyst under Static and Periodic Operation Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 220 2018 67 77 10.1016/j.apcatb.2017.07.070