This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automatic Calibration for Road Side Lidar and Camera Using Planar Target
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 15, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, vehicle-intelligent road cooperation is gaining an increasing attention from both academia and industry, which require deployment of a large scale of road side sensors such as lidar and camera. For the road side sensors, calibration is indispensable to obtain transformation between sensor coordinate frame and geographic coordinate frame. Currently, manual measuring using RTK and marking correspondent feature points in sensors’ field of view is the commonly used method of calibration, which is far too complicated. To simplify the calibration task and improve efficiency, an automatic calibration method for road side lidar and camera using a planar calibration target is proposed in this paper. The feature of planar target is designed to be easily identified by the sensors, and an Integrated Navigation System (INS), which acquires the geographic coordinate of itself in real time at an accuracy of centimeter level, is fixed on the target. The calibration target as well as the INS is fixed on a movable platform to improve mobility and thus improve the efficiency of data collection. Then automatic feature extraction procedure is conducted to detect feature points from point cloud and image generated from sensors. And coordinate transformation procedure is conducted to calculate the geographic coordinates of feature points on calibration target from coordinates of INS. Thus, the 2D and 3D feature points coordinates of target as well as geographic coordinates are able to be extracted and matched with each other automatically, and finally the calibration procedure is conducted. The experiment results show that the proposed calibration method is able to calibrate road side lidar and camera efficiently and accurately.
CitationWang, Q., Wang, Y., Zhang, Y., and Yin, C., "Automatic Calibration for Road Side Lidar and Camera Using Planar Target," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-7023, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-7023.
- Dhall , A. , Chelani , K. , Radhakrishnan , V. , and Krishna , K.M. 2017
- Zhou , L. , Li , Z. , and Kaess , M. Automatic Extrinsic Calibration of a Camera and a 3D LiDAR Using Line and Plane Correspondences 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) 5562 5569 2018 10.1109/IROS.2018.8593660
- Guindel , C. , Beltrán , J. , Martín , D. , and García , F. Automatic Extrinsic Calibration for Lidar-Stereo Vehicle Sensor Setups 2017 IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) 1 6 2017 10.1109/ITSC.2017.8317829
- Domhof , J. , Kooij , J. , and Gavrila , D. A Joint Extrinsic Calibration Tool for Radar, Camera and Lidar IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles 2021 10.1109/TIV.2021.3065208
- Deng , Z. , Xiong , L. , Yin , D. , and Shan , F. Joint Calibration of Dual LiDARs and Camera Using a Circular Chessboard SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0098 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0098
- Persic , J. , Markovic , I. , and Petrovic , I. Extrinsic 6DoF Calibration of a Radar-LiDAR-Camera System Enhanced by Radar Cross Section Estimates Evaluation Robotics and Autonomous Systems 114 2019 217 230 10.1016/j.robot.2018.11.023
- Xie , Y. , Shao , R. , Guli , P. , Li , B. et al. Infrastructure Based Calibration of a Multi-Camera and Multi-LiDAR System Using Apriltags 2018 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 605 610 2018 10.1109/IVS.2018.8500646
- Garrido-Jurado , S. , Muñoz Salinas , R. , Madrid-Cuevas , J. , and Marín-Jiménez , J. Automatic Generation and Detection of Highly Reliable Fiducial Markers Under Occlusion Pattern Recognition. 47 2014 2280 2292 10.1016/j.patcog.2014.01.005
- Gao , X. , Hou , X. , Tang , J. , and Cheng , H. Complete Solution Classification for the Perspective-Three-Point Problem IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 25 8 2003 930 943 10.1109/TPAMI.2003.1217599
- Lepetit , V. , Moreno-Noguer , F. , and Fua , P. EPnP: An Accurate O(n) Solution to the PnP Problem International Journal of Computer Vision 81 2 2009 155 166 10.1007/s11263-008-0152-6
- Kammerl , J. , Blodow , N. , Rusu , R. , Gedikli , S. et al. Real-Time Compression of Point Cloud Streams 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 778 785 2012 10.1109/ICRA.2012.6224647
- Kanungo , T. , Mount , D. , Netanyahu , N. , Piatko , C. et al. An Efficient k-Means Clustering Algorithm: Analysis and Implementation IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 24 7 2002 881 892 10.1109/TPAMI.2002.1017616
- Fischler , M. and Bolles , R. Random Sample Consensus: A Paradigm for Model Fitting with Applications to Image Analysis and Automated Cartography Readings in Computer Vision Elsevier 1987 726 740
- Alexa , M. , Behr , J. , Cohen-Or , D. , Fleishman , S. et al. Computing and Rendering Point Set Surfaces IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 9 1 Jan.-March 2003 3 15 10.1109/TVCG.2003.1175093
- Barber , C. , Dobkin , D. , and Huhdanpaa , H. The Quickhull Algorithm for Convex Hulls ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software 22 4 1993 10.1145/235815.235821
- Besl , P. , and McKay , N. A Method for Registration of 3-D Shapes IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 14 2 239 256 1992 10.1109/34.121791
- Sorkine , O. , and Rabinovich , M. 2009