This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Vehicle Active Hood for Pedestrian Protection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 15, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pedestrian passive safety and active safety both develop rapidly, such as new structural hoods/airbags for pedestrian protection and emergency automatic braking/forward collision warning are used in advanced driver assistance system (ADAS). In this study, improved pedestrian passive safety is to obtain optimal hood structural parameters and add an active pop-up hood. Headform impactor, hood model, simplified vehicle and head impaction models were established, and nine key test points were selected for crash simulation tests. After the simulation, the pedestrian protection performance of the initial hood is evaluated and analyzed based on the head injury criterion (HIC) values. Combined with the orthogonal experimental design method, this study acquired the best structural parameters scheme and applied to the active pop-up hood. The validation results show that after applying the optimal structural parameters to the active pop-up hood, the pedestrian protection performance of the hood is improved and the pedestrian passive safety performance of the smart vehicle is enhanced.
CitationYang, Z., Deng, T., and Zhan, Z., "Design and Analysis of Vehicle Active Hood for Pedestrian Protection," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-7019, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-7019.
- Wallner , D. , Eichberger , A. , and Hirschberg , W. A Novel Control Algorithm for Integration of Active and Passive Vehicle Safety Systems in Frontal Collisions Journal of Systemics Cybernetics & Informatics 8 5 2010 6 11
- Akhlaq , M. , Sheltami , T.R. , Bo , H. , and Shakshuki , E.M. Designing an Integrated Driver Assistance System Using Image Sensors Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 23 6 2012 2109 2132
- Yu , C. , Lin , B. , Guo , P. , He , R. et al. Deployment and Dimensioning of Fog Computing-Based Internet of Vehicle Infrastructure for Autonomous Driving IEEE Internet of Things Journal 2018 1 1
- Ercan , O. and Samet , G. Literature Review of Industry 4.0 and Related Technologies Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 2018
- Sun , C. , Zheng , S. , Ma , Y. , Xu , T. et al. An Active Safety Control Method of Collision Avoidance for Intelligent Connected Vehicle Based on Driving Risk Perception Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 32 2021
- Li , H. , Li , J. , Su , Z. et al.
- Lange , R.D. , and Tandler , J. 2007
- Fredriksson , R. and Rosén , E. Integrated Pedestrian Countermeasures - Potential of Head Injury Reduction Combining Passive and Active Countermeasures Safety Science 50 3 2012 400 407
- Dominik , D.I. , Hamacher , M. , Zlocki , A. , and Eckstein , L. Integrated Assessment of Active Pedestrian Protection Systems Atz Worldwide 2015
- Kausalyah , V. , Shasthri , S. , Abdullah , K.A. , Idres , M. et al. Optimisation of Vehicle Front-End Geometry for Adult and Pediatric Pedestrian Protection Int J Crashworthiness 19 2014 153 160
- Krishnamoorthy , R. , Takla , M. , Subic , A. , and Scott , D. Design Optimisation of Passenger Car Hood Panels for Improved Pedestrian Protection Advanced Materials Research 633 2013 62 76
- Jintao , S. , Jianping , L. , and Xiaolu , J. Overview of Intelligent Vehicle Core Technology and Development IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 769 4 2021
- Zhi , J. and Ge , D.-Y. Detection and Recognition Method of Monocular Vision Traffic Safety Information for Intelligent Vehicles Journal of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems 39 4 2020 5017 5026
- Gerónimo , D. and López , A.M. Vision-based Pedestrian Protection Systems for Intelligent Vehicles New York, NY Springer 2014
- Hamacher , M. , Eckstein , L. , Kühn , M. , and Hummel , T. 2011
- Wei , W. The Structure and Principle of Intelligent Network Assisted Driving System Advances in Higher Education 5 1 2021
- Jin , K.J. and Ho , C.K. The Design and Implementation of Driver Safety Assist System by Analysis of Driving Behavior Data The Journal of Advanced Navigation Technology 17 2 2013 165 170
- Konosu , A. , Ishikawa , H. , and Kant , R. Development of Computer Simulation Models for Pedestrian Subsystem Impact Tests JSAE Rev 21 2000 109 115
- Kerkeling , C. , Schäfer , J. , and Thompson , G.-M.
- Lee , C.-R. and Jeong , H.-Y. Development of Headform Impactor Finite Element Model Considering the Hyperelastic and Viscoelastic Responses of Rubber[J] International Journal of Automotive Technology 19 3 2018 523 534
- Shojaeefard , M.H. and AmirNajibi , M.R.A. Pedestrian Safety Investigation of the New Inner Structure of the Hood to Mitigate the Impact Injury of the Head Thin-Walled Structures 77 Apr 2014 77 85
- Shojaeefard , M.H. , Najibi , A. , and Rahmati , A.M. Pedestrian Safety Investigation of the New Inner Structure of the Hood to Reduce the Impact Injury of the Head Thin-Walled Structure 77 2014 77 85
- Schwarz , D. , Bachem , H. , and Opbroek , E. Comparison of Steel and Aluminium Hood with Same Design in View of Pedestrian Head Impact SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1605 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1605
- Krenn , M. , Mlekusch , B. , Wilfling , C. , Dobida , F. et al. Development and Evaluation of a Kinematic Hood for Pedestrian Protection SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0897 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0897
- Study on Engine Hood with Negative Poisson's Ratio Architected Composites Based on Pedestrian Protection SAE International Journal of Engines 10 2 2017 391 404
- Ying , Z. , Zhang , Q. , Li , Y. , Wang , B. et al. Theoretical, Emulation and Experimental Analysis on Auxetic Re-Entrant Octagonal Honeycombs and Its Applications on Pedestrian Protection of Engine Hood Composite Structures 2021 113534
- Yin , S. , Chen , H. , Wu , Y. , YibingLi et al. Introducing Composite Lattice Core Sandwich Structure as an Alternative Proposal for Engine Hood Composite Structures 201 2018 131 140
- Arregui-Dalmases , C. , Carmen Rebollo-Soriac , M. , Sanchez-Molinad , D. , Velazquez-Ameijide , J. et al. Pedestrian Head Injury Biomechanics and Damage Mechanism. Pedestrian Protection Automotive Regulation Assessment[J] Neurocirugía (English Edition) 28 1 2017 41 46
- Thunder Power Hong Kong LTD Patent Issued for Pedestrian Protection System for Hood Contact (USPTO 9511741) Journal of Engineering 2016 6912
- Binyamin , B. Redesign of Outer Hood Panel of Esemka R2 Car to Improve Pedestrian Protection Using Finite Element Modeling Media Mesin 17 2 2016