This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automatic Emergency Collision Avoidance of Four-Wheel Steering Based on Model Following Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 15, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to improve the performance of automatic emergency steering and collision avoidance of intelligent vehicle, two automatic steering control methods under ideal model following control are proposed. The two ideal reference models are the reference model with zero sideslip angle of vehicle gravity center and the reference model with no phase-lag in vehicle lateral acceleration. The control system adopts the combination of outer loop and inner loop. In the design of the outer loop controller, the optimal control is used to get the steering wheel angle needed to avoid collision. The inner loop controller uses feedforward and feedback control to get the required front and rear wheel steering angles. Taking vehicle two degrees of freedom (DOF) lateral dynamics model as the research object, the vehicle collision avoidance reference trajectory is obtained through the fifth-degree polynomial. The simulation test of automatic emergency steering and collision avoidance for vehicles equipped with the above control system is carried out on high and low adhesion roads respectively. The comparison with the control system without reference model is also carried out. The results show that the collision avoidance effect of the control systems with reference model are better than those without reference model. When avoiding collision on a high adhesion road, the reference model control system with zero sideslip angle has the best effect. While when avoiding collision on a low adhesion road, the reference model control system with no phase-lag in lateral acceleration has the best effect.
- Fei Lai - Chongqing University of Technology
- Chaoqun Huang - Chongqing Technology and Business Institute
- Hua Chen - State Key Lab. of Vehicle NVH and Safety Technology
- Yu Tang - State Key Lab. of Vehicle NVH and Safety Technology
- Hui Yang - Chongqing University of Technology
- Xiaoyu Wang - Chongqing University of Technology
CitationLai, F., Huang, C., Chen, H., Tang, Y. et al., "Automatic Emergency Collision Avoidance of Four-Wheel Steering Based on Model Following Control," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-7015, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-7015.
- Yurtsever , E. , Lambert , J. , Carballo , A. et al. A Survey of Autonomous Driving: Common Practices and Emerging Technologies IEEE Access 8 2020 58443 58469
- Eiichi , O. , Shigeyuki , H. , Hoang , D. et al. Bifurcation in Vehicle Dynamics and Robust Front Wheel Steering Control IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 6 3 1998 412 420
- You , S. and Jeong , S. Controller Design and Analysis for Automatic Steering of Passenger Cars Mechatronics 12 2002 427 446
- Neil , E. and Mohamed , B. Steering Fuzzy Logic Controller for an Autonomous Vehicle IEEE. International Conference on Robotics & Automation Detroit 2482 2488 1999
- Youssef , S. , Mahmoud , A. , Walid , O. et al. Fuzzy Control of Autonomous Intelligent Vehicles for Collision Avoidance Using Integrated Dynamics SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 11 1 2018 5 21
- Kim , E. , Kim , J. , and Sunwoo , M. Model Predictive Control Strategy for Smooth Path Tracking of Autonomous Vehicles with Steering Actuator Dynamics International Journal of Automotive Technology 15 7 2014 1155 1164
- Carrie , G. , Craig , E. , John , C. et al. Vehicle Control Synthesis Using Phase Portraits of Planar Dynamics Vehicle System Dynamics 57 9 2019 1318 1337
- He , X.K. , Liu , Y.L. , Lv , C. et al. Emergency Steering Control of Autonomous Vehicle for Collision Avoidance and Stabilisation Vehicle System Dynamics 57 8 2019 1163 1187
- Yakub , F. and Mori , Y. Comparative Study of Autonomous Path-Following Vehicle Control Via Model Predictive Control and Linear Quadratic Control Proc IMechE Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 2015 10.1177/0954407014566031
- Hiraoka , T. , Nishihara , O. , and Kumamoto , H. Automatic Path-Tracking Controller of a Four-Wheel Steering Vehicle Vehicle System Dynamics 47 10 2009 1205 1227
- Bevan , G. , Gollee , H. , and O’reilly , J. Automatic Lateral Emergency Collision Avoidance for a Passenger Car International Journal of Control 80 11 2007 1751 1762
- Isermann , R. , Schorn , M. , and Stahlin , U. Anticollision System PRORETA with Automatic Braking and Steering Vehicle System Dynamics 46 S 2008 683 694
- Tavan , N. , Tavan , M. , and Hosseini , R. An Optimal Integrated Longitudinal and Lateral Dynamic Controller Development for Vehicle Path Tracking Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures 2014 10.1590/1679-78251365
- Mashadi , B. , Ahmadizadeh , P. , Majidi , M. et al. Integrated Robust Controller for Vehicle Path Following Multibody System Dynamics 2014 10.1007/s11044-014-9409-8
- Hang , P. , Chen , X.B. , and Luo , F.M. LPV/H∞ Controller Design for Path Tracking of Autonomous Ground Vehicles Through Four-Wheel Steering and Direct Yaw-Moment Control International Journal of Automotive Technology 20 4 2019 679 691
- Yuan , H.L. , Sun , X.W. , and Gordon , T. Unified Decision-Making and Control for Highway Collision Avoidance Using Active Front Steer and Individual Wheel Torque Control Vehicle System Dynamics 57 8 2019 1188 1205
- Alleyne , A. A Comparison of Alternative Obstacle Avoidance Strategies for Vehicle Control Vehicle System Dynamics 27 1997 371 392
- Pacejka , H. and Besselink , I. Magic Formula Tyre Model with Transient Properties Vehicle System Dynamics 27 S 1997 234 249
- Abe , M. Vehicle Handling Dynamics: Theory and Application 2nd Edition Butterworth-Heinemann 2015 978-0-08-100390-9.