This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Optimal Gear Ratio of BAJA SAE All-Terrain Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 25, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The final drivetrain ratio is an essential part of a vehicle. It is responsible for providing the desired torque to overcome obstacles while maintaining the speed and acceleration of a vehicle. A vehicle must have an optimum gear ratio to obtain the desired velocity and acceleration. To achieve this, four different approaches were used considering the input parameters of a BAJA All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV). The traction received from the ground is calculated and plotted against velocity on different terrains. Further, a drivetrain was modeled in Simulink to obtain different parameters like vehicle speed, acceleration, and wheel slip. A range of gear ratios was obtained by following a similar trend of vehicle parameters that were best suited for improving vehicle performance. Graphs were plotted to compare the effect of various vehicle parameters, and an optimum gear ratio was obtained. Based on the obtained results, it can be concluded that a gear ratio ranging from 7.5 to 8.5 will provide the optimum ratio and exhibit a consistent trend of results.
CitationPatel, S., Vashi, V., and Thomas, B., "Determination of Optimal Gear Ratio of BAJA SAE All-Terrain Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-5033, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-5033.
- Wong , J.Y. Theory of Ground Vehicle Third New York John Wiley & Sons 2001
- Tree , D. , Bowman , J. , Jones , M. , and Homer , E. 2016
- Almuflih , A. , Perryman , A. , Ming , C. , Zhu , Z. et al. 2013
- Khan , S. , and Dhongde , S. Mathematical Modeling of Continuously Variable Transmission for Small Scooter Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2861 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2861
- Kirtland , D. 2014 https://drc.libraries.uc.edu/handle/2374.UC/731831
- Payne , E.T. 2015
- Kumar , A. , Karmakar , S. , Malay , N. , and Lohia , N. Performance optimization of Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) using Data Acquisition Systems (DAQ) International Journal of Engineering and Technology 7 6 2144 2155 2016
- McCausland , M. , Watkins , M. , Masterson , I. , and Sommer , A.
- Ebsch , E. , Kudla , J. , O’Brian , C. , and Quick , B. 2012
- Bera , T.K. , Bhattacharya , K. , and Samantaray , A.K. Evaluation of Antilock Braking System with an Integrated Model of Full Vehicle System Dynamics Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 19 10 2131 2150 2011