This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Intelligent Auxiliary Battery Control - A Connected Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 21, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As vehicles are getting electrified and more intelligent, the energy consumption of the auxiliary system increases rapidly. The auxiliary battery acts as the backbone of the system to support the proper operation of the vehicle. It is important to ensure the auxiliary battery has enough energy to meet the basic loads regardless the vehicle is in park or running. However, the existing methods only focus on auxiliary energy management when the vehicle is in a dynamic event. To fulfill the gap, we propose an intelligent strategy that detects the low state of charge (SOC) condition, temporarily turns down the auxiliary loads based on their priorities and charges the auxiliary battery at the maximum efficiency of the auxiliary power unit. In addition, the proposed strategy allows the vehicle to get the park duration update and make intelligent decisions on charging the auxiliary battery. Simulation results indicate that our strategy closes the technology gap that is not addressed by the existing methods. As a result, the energy consumption remains low while the SOC of the auxiliary battery is sustained.
CitationKumar, V., Zhu, D., and Dadam, S., "Intelligent Auxiliary Battery Control - A Connected Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1248, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1248.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Zhu , D. and Pritchard , E. NCSU Year Three Final Technical Report SAE Technical Papers 2014-01-2907 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2907
- Zhu , D. , Pritchard , E. , Dadam , S.R. , Kumar , V. et al. Optimization of Rule-Based Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Vehicles using Dynamic Programming Combustion Engines 184 1 2021 3 10 10.19206/CE-131967
- Pritchard , E. , Mackey , L. , Zhu , D. , Gregory , D. , et al. Modular Electric Generator Rapid Deployment DC Microgrid Presented at 2017 IEEE Second International Conference on DC Microgrids (ICDCM) Germany 2017 10.1109/ICDCM.2017.8001030
- Sonnenberg , M. , Pritchard , E. , and Zhu , D. Microgrid Development using Model-Based Design Presented at 2018 IEEE Green Technologies Conference (GreenTech) USA 2018 10.1109/GreenTech.2018.00019
- Kabisch , M. , Heuer , M. , Heideck , G. , and Styczynski , Z.A. Energy Management of Vehicle Electrical System with Auxiliary Power Unit Presented at 2009 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference USA 2009 10.1109/vppc.2009.5289826
- Simoes , M.G. , Blunier , B. , and Miraoui , A. Fuzzy-Based Energy Management Control: Design of a Battery Auxiliary Power Unit for Remote Applications IEEE Industry Applications Magazine 20 4 2014 41 49 10.1109/mias.2013.2288375
- Farjah , A. , Bagheri , E. , Seifi , A.R. , and Ghanbari , T. Main and Auxiliary Parts of Battery Storage, Aimed to Fast Charging of Electrical Vehicles Presented at 2018 9th Annual Power Electronics, Drives Systems and Technologies Conference (PEDSTC) Iran 2018 10.1109/pedstc.2018.8343809
- Berzi , L. , Delichristov , D. , Favilli , T. , Pierini , M. , et al. Smart Energy Management of Auxiliary Load for Electric Vehicles Presented at 2020 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2020 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC/I&CPS Europe) Spain 2020 10.1109/eeeic/icpseurope49358.2020.9160762
- Yuhimenko , V. , Baimel , D. , Sitbon , M. , Averbukh , M. et al. Hybrid Internal Combustion Engine based Auxiliary Power Unit Micromachines 11 4 2020 438 10.3390/mi11040438
- Dellermann , M. , Gehring , M. , and Zirn , O. Optimal Control of a Multi Voltage Powernet with Electrified Auxiliaries in Hybrid-Electric Trucks Presented at 2020 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2020 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC/I&CPS Europe) Spain 2020 10.1109/eeeic/icpseurope49358.2020.9160600
- Dadam , S. , Jentz , R. , Lenzen , T. , and Meissner , H. Diagnostic Evaluation of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System on Gasoline Electric Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Papers 2020-01-0902 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0902
- Dadam , S. , Ravi , V. , Jentz , R. , Kumar , V. et al. Assessment of Exhaust Actuator Control at Low Ambient Temperature Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0681 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0681
- Zhu , D. , Pritchard , E.G.D. , and Silverberg , L.M. New System , A. Development Framework Driven by a Model-Based Testing Approach Bridged by Information Flow IEEE Systems Journal 12 3 2917 2924 2016 10.1109/JSYST.2016.2631142
- Cui , W.H. , Wang , J.S. , and Chen , Y.Y. Equivalent Circuit Model of Lead-acid Battery in Energy Storage Power Station and its State-of-Charge Estimation based on Extended Kalman Filtering Method Engineering Letters 26 4 2018 504 517