This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cylinder Head Gasket Leakage Trouble Shooting Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 21, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The present paper describes a CAE analysis approach to evaluate the transient cylinder head gasket sealing performance of a turbo charged GDI engine in the bench test development. In this approach, both transient gasket sealing force and gasket wear work are calculated to allow design engineers to find out the root cause of cylinder head gasket leakage failures.
In this paper, the details of the method development are described. Firstly how to use and get the cylinder head gasket property are described, which is the basic theory and data for the gasket sealing analysis. A transient heat transfer calculation for accurately simulating the engine thermal shock test is established, which is mapped to the transient gasket sealing calculation as pivotal boundary. The transient gasket sealing calculation which considering the cylinder pressure change, transient thermal load change, bench installation, fretting wear of gasket coating in cycling thermal shock conditions, is different from the traditional steady sealing analysis, it can reflect the comprehensive influence of various factors and simulate the test more truly.
The simulation results show that the local gasket regions with low gasket pressure and high wear work were identified accurately, and the simulation results were consistent with the experimental leakage area.
The scheme of adding the limiting gasket stopper rib locally in the leakage area is proposed. Through local structural shape optimization of gasket, the simulation results show that the gasket sealing pressure is effectively improved and wear work in the leakage area are greatly reduced, finally the optimized gasket has passed the thermal shock test successfully.
CitationWang, Y., yang, s., and Xu, Z., "Cylinder Head Gasket Leakage Trouble Shooting Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1234, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1234.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Liu , Y. and Xiang , J. Measurement of Engine Cylinder Head Gap Amplitude and Sealing Performance of Cylinder Head Gasket Design and Manufacture of Diesel Engine 25 1 2019 19 22 10.3969/j.issn.1671-0614.2019.01.005
- Dadam , S. , Jentz , R. , Ienzen , T. , and Meissner , H. Diagnostic Evaluation of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System on Gasoline Electric Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Papers 2020-01-0902 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0902
- Wei , Y. , Yang , S. , Shi , X. , Li , J. et al. Finite Element Analysis of Cylinder Gasket under Cylinder Pressure and Structural Optimization of the Cylinder Gasket SAE Technical Papers 2017-01-1080 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1080
- Kandreegula , S.K. , Gupta , U. , and Vyas , S. Investigation of Gasket Sealing Behavior of Cylinder Head and Block under Engine Operating Conditions and Its Experimental Verification SAE Technical Papers 2015-26-0029 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0029
- Shanmugam , M. , Setty , S. , and Revoo , S. Simulation Driven Design and Development of MLS Gasket Assembly SAE Technical Papers 2018-01-0978 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0978
- Brewer , T. and Chen , X. Cylinder Head Gasket Fretting/Scrub Mechanism Investigation and Analysis Procedure Developments SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1091 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1091
- Sangle , D.R. , Ozarde , A. , and McNay , G. Cylinder Head Gasket Fretting Simulation for High Horse Power Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0305 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0305
- Ye , R. , Han , Y. , Sun , X. , Shi , J. et al. Fretting Damage Analysis and Predicting of Engine Head and Block SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1167 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1167
- Han , Y. , Ye , R. , Liang , C. , Wang , Y. , et al. The Importance of Transient Temperature Field on the Analysis of Cylinder Head Gasket 2019
- Zhu , D. , Pritchard , E.G.D. , and Silverberg , L.M. A New System Development Framework Driven by a Model-Based Testing Approach Bridged by Information Flow IEEE Systems Journal 12 3 2016 2917 2924 10.1109/JSYST.2016.2631142
- Tang , J. and Wu , B. Research on Sealing Technology of Metal Cylinder Gasket and its Trial Manufacture Technology of Gasoline Engine Auto Sci-Tech 1 2017 88 92 10.3969/j.issn.1005-2550.2017.01.014
- ABAQUS Analysis User’s Guide Computer Software, Dassault systemes Waltham, Massachusetts 2014
- Chen , T. , Zwick , J. , Tripathy , B. , and Novak , G. 3D Engine Analysis and MLS Cylinder Head Gaskets Design SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0663 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0663
- Chen , M. , Wang , Y. , Wu , W. , Cui , Q. et al. Thermal-Mechanical Fatigue Prediction of Aluminum Cylinder Head with Integrated Exhaust Manifold of a Turbo Charged Gasoline Egine SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1085 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1085
- Liang , X. , and Wang , H. Applied Finite Element Analysis Bei Jing Tsinghua University Press 2010 164 166
- Xing , Y. , and Li , M. Principles and Methods of Computational Solid Mechanics Bei Jing Beihang University Press 2011 289 291