This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of the MeFo and DMC Content in the Fuel on the Gasoline DI Spray Characteristics with the Focus on Droplet Speed and Size
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 21, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
E-fuels are proven to be a major contributing factor to reduce CO2 emissions in internal combustion engines. In gasoline engines, C1 oxygenate are seen as critical to reach CO2 and emission reduction goals. Their properties affect the fuel injection characteristics and thus the fuel mixture formation and combustion emissions. To exploit the full potential of e-fuels, the detailed knowledge of their spray characteristic is necessary. The correlation between the fuel content of C1 oxygenates and particulate emissions do not appear to be linear. To understand this correlation, the spray characteristics have to be investigated in detail. The reduced stoichiometric air requirement leads to an increase of the injected fuel mass, which has to evaporate. This can lead to a changed fuel film interaction within the combustion chamber walls and therefore a change of particle formation. On the other hand, the oxygen content in the fuel can suppress soot formation, support soot oxidation and reduce particle emissions. The fuel components which are investigated in this paper are dimethylcarbonate (DMC) and methylformiat (MeFo). Both are added to the base fuel RON95 different concentrations. This paper focuses on the spray properties droplet speed, size and spatial distribution. The influence of MeFo- and DMC-content on the spray droplets is characterized with a phase doppler anemometry. Several experiments are performed with varying fuel compositions, temperatures and pressures. The spray is characterized in multiple distances to the nozzle and in a grid of 2mm inside the spray jacket. Both fuels change the spray characteristics similarly, although the influence by MeFo is usually more pronounced. Above all, it can be observed that fuel evaporation is improved by blending DMC/MeFo. However, droplet decomposition is slower and thus leads to larger SMD. The droplet velocity increases significantly with increasing DMC/MeFo content.
CitationMaliha, M., Kubach, H., and Koch, T., "Influence of the MeFo and DMC Content in the Fuel on the Gasoline DI Spray Characteristics with the Focus on Droplet Speed and Size," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1191, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1191.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Kumar , B.R. and Saravanan , S. Partially Premixed Low Temperature Combustion Using Dimethyl Carbonate (DMC) in a DI Diesel Engine for Favorable Smoke/NOx Emissions Fuel 180 2016 396 406
- Chan , J.H. , Tsolakis , A. , Herreros , J.M. , Kallis , K.X. et al. Combustion, Gaseous Emissions and PM Characteristics of Di-Methyl Carbonate (DMC)-Gasoline Blend on Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine Fuel 263 2020 116742
- Wen , L. , Xin , C. , and Yang , S. The Effect of Adding Dimethyl Carbonate (DMC) and Ethanol to Unleaded Gasoline on Exhaust Emissions Applied Energy July 2009
- Härtl , M. , Stadler , A. , Backes , F. , Wachtmeister , G. et al. MTZ 2017
- Jacob , E. , Stark , M. , Härtl , M. , Wachtmeister , G. C1-Oxygenate Als Zukünftige Kraftstoffe 11. Tagung Einspritzung und Kraftstoffe 2018 Springer Vieweg 2018
- Maier , T. , Haertl , M. , Jacob , E. , and Wachtmeister , G. Dimethyl Carbonate (DMC) and Methyl Formate (MeFo): Emission Characteristics of Novel, Clean and Potentially CO2-Neutral Fuels Including PMP and Sub-23 nm Nanoparticle-Emission Characteristics on a Spark-Ignition DI-Engine Fuel 256 2019 115925
- Blochum , S. , Gadomski , B. , Retzlaff , M. , Thamm , F. et al. Potential Analysis of a DMC/MeFo Mixture in a DISI Single and Multi-Cylinder Light Vehicle Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0561 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0561
- Blochum , S. , Ruch , F. , Bastuck , T. , Härtl , M. et al. Identification of In-Cylinder Aerosol Flow Induced Emissions due to Piston Ring Design in a DISI Single Cylinder LV Engine Using Oxygenated Synthetic Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0625 2021 https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0625
- Steele , W.V. , Chirico , R.D. , Knipmeyer , S.E. , Nguyen , A. et al. Thermodynamic Properties and Ideal-Gas Enthalpies of Formation for Dicyclohexyl Sulfide, Diethylenetriamine, Di-n-octyl Sulfide, Dimethyl Carbonate, Piperazine, Hexachloroprop-1-ene, Tetrakis(dimethylamino)ethylene,N,N-Bis-(2-hydroxylethyl)ethylenediamine, and 1,2,4-Triazolo[1,5-a] pyrimifine Journal of Chemical Engineering Data 42 1997 1037 1052
- Sundberg , A.T. , Uusi-Kyyny , P. , Pakkanen , M. , and Alopaeus , V. Vapor-Liquid Equilibirum for Methoxymethane+Methyl Formate, Methoxymethane+Hexane, and Methyl Formate+Methanol Journal of Chemical Engineering Data 56 2011 2634 2640
- Schück , C. Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT) 22.12.2020
- Albrecht , H.E. , Damaschke , N. , Borys , M. , and Tropea , C. Laser Doppler and Phase Doppler Measurement Techniques Springer 2002 978-3-642-08739-4
- Bauckhage , K. Gleichzeitige Erfassung von Partikelmerkmalen und Eigenschaften Mehrphasiger Strömungen mit Hilf der Phasen-Doppler-Anemometer Chemie Ingenieur Technik 68 1996
- https://www.dantecdynamics.com/solutions-applications/solutions/spray-and-particle/phase-doppler-anemometry-pda/ 05.05.2021
- Bachalo , W.D. and Houser , M.J. Phase/Doppler spray analyzer for simultaneous measurements of drop size and velocity distribution Optical Engineering 23 5 1984
- Araneo , L. and Tropea , C. Improving Phase Doppler Measurements in a Diesel Spray SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2047 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2047
- Kowalczuk , P.B. and Drzymala , J. Physical Meaning of the Sauter Mean Diameter of Spherical Particulate Matter Particulate Science and Technology 34 2016
- Plaß , A. , Maliha , M. , Kubach , H. , Koch , T.
- Leick , P. , Schmitt , M. , Gawalica , T. , Kubis , T. et al. Impact of Flash-Boiling on Gasoline Sprays: From Fundamental Physical Insights to Engine-measured PN emissions 13th International AVL Symposium on Propulsion Diagnostics 26.06.2018
- Reddemann , M.A. TH Aachen 30.04.2015