This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development Work for a New Damping Standard SAE J3130
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 31, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Standards organizations develop standards depending on the need in the market place. With the change in vehicle design, lightweighting structures, and body panels made out of aluminum and composites, SAE’s Acoustical Materials Committee is developing a new damping standard. This standard is also very suitable in determining the damping performance of materials used in the off-highway applications, where the thickness of the steel body panel is much greater than in the automotive application. The general methodology of this standard is based on the mechanical impedance measurement method and has been developed with the general consensus of automotive engineers, suppliers, and independent test laboratories. This method is essentially based on the fact that a bar is excited at the center by a shaker. The force exerted by the shaker and the corresponding vibration is measured at that point to determine the frequency response function of the mechanical impedance signal. This paper discusses the need and challenges in developing this standard including differences between the proposed and other current damping standards. The paper also discusses the round robin data analysis that have been done so far to understand the consistency of the data for complete analysis.
CitationSaha, P., "Development Work for a New Damping Standard SAE J3130," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-1122, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-1122.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Dudek , T.J. Damping-Material Effectiveness Measured by the Geiger-Plate and Composite-Beam Tests The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 46 1969 1384 https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1911864
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Vibration Damping Materials and Underbody Coatings SAE Standard J671 199705
- Acoustical Society of America 80 1986 https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2024052
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice 1993
- Saha , P. Mechanical Impedance Based Vibration Damping Test SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1879 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1879
- Wojtowickia , J.-L. , Jaouen , L. , and Panneton , R. New Approach for the Measurement of Damping Properties of Materials Using the Oberst Beam Review of Scientific Instruments, American Institute of Physics 75 8 2004 10.1063/1.1777382
- Japanese Standards Association
- ISO Standard
- ASTM Standard