This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Influence of Air Suspension Levelling Valve Charging and Discharging Characteristics on Heavy Truck Roll Stability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Roll stability is an important attribute which must be accounted for in heavy trucks. In order to analyze the anti-roll performance of the suspension in the early period of development, engineers will generally use Multi Body Dynamics (MBD) simulation software which can save time in the product development cycle. However, air suspension employs levelling valves to adjust the height by charging and discharging air springs. The air spring is typically modeled as a closed container in the simulation; the stiffness change of the air spring caused by the levelling valve is not considered. In this paper, an air suspension with levelling valves model integrated into the multi-body dynamic model of a 6�4 heavy truck is built with a co-simulation technique to investigate the influence of three types of levelling valves arrangement on the roll performance of the suspension under two typical conditions. Type 1 air suspension is equipped with two levelling valves which are respectively arranged on the middle axle and rear axle. Type 2 air suspension is equipped with two levelling valves which are respectively arranged on the left and right sides of the middle axle. Type 3 air suspension is equipped with three levelling valves which are respectively arranged on the middle axle and the left and right sides of the rear axle. Additionally, the influence of the levelling valves' orifice size on the anti-roll performance of the suspension is analyzed. The results show that Type 2 provides better anti-roll performance, and increasing the size of the orifice is beneficial for the levelling valve to act more quickly.
- Kang Yin - South China University of Technology
- Yu Huang - South China University of Technology
- Wenbin Shangguan - South China University of Technology
- Ran Zhen - Shandong Meichen Industry Group Co.，Ltd.
- Minghui Wang - Shandong Meichen Industry Group Co.，Ltd.
- Yongfeng Jiang - Shandong Meichen Industry Group Co.，Ltd.
CitationYin, K., Huang, Y., Shangguan, W., Zhen, R. et al., "Study on the Influence of Air Suspension Levelling Valve Charging and Discharging Characteristics on Heavy Truck Roll Stability," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0980, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0980.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Naoteru , O.D.A. , and Seiichi , N. Vibration of Air Suspension Bogies and Their Design Bulletin of JSME 13 55 1970 10.1299/jsme1958.13.43
- Woodrooffe , J. Heavy Truck Suspension Dynamics: Methods for Evaluating Suspension Road Friendliness and Ride Quality SAE Transactions 105 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/962152
- Power , Andrew Impact of Suspension Design on the Strain Field in a Truck Auxiliary Axle SAE Technical Papers 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2715
- Winkler , C.B. , Karamihas , S.M. , and Bogard , S.E. Roll-stability Performance of Heavy-vehicle Suspensions Proceedings of the International Truck & Bus Meeting & Exposition 2013 10.4271/922426
- Laird , L.A. Measurement of Heavy Vehicle Suspension Roll-Stability Properties, and A Method to Evaluate Overall Stability Performance SAE International Truck and Bus Meeting and Exposition 1988 https://doi.org/10.4271/881869
- Hengjia , Z. , James , Y. , and Yunqing , Z. Modeling and Optimization for Pneumatically Pitch-interconnected Suspensions of a Vehicle Journal of Sound and Vibration 432 2018 10.1016/j.jsv.2018.06.043.
- Jingmei , Z. , and Jianling , S. Optimization of Suspension Parameters Based on Vehicle Roll Stability and Road Friendliness Manufacturing Engineering 15 3 84 91 2017
- Perseguim , O.T. , Costa , N.A. , and Argentino , M.A. Comfort and Vibration Study of a Tractor and Trailer Combination Using Simulation and Experimental Approaches: the Jumping Ride Behavior SAE Technical Papers, 2000-01-3517 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3517
- Eriksson , P. , and Friberg , O. Ride Comfort Optimization of a City Bus Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 20 1 2000 10.1007/s001580050137
- Chen , Y. , Peterson , A.W. , and Ahmadian , M. Achieving Anti-roll Bar Effect Through Air Management in Commercial Vehicle Pneumatic Suspensions Vehicle System Dynamics 57 12 2019 10.1080/00423114.2018.1552005.
- Haitao , D. , Amir , K. , and Yanjun , H. A Novel Tripped Rollover Prevention System for Commercial Trucks with Air Suspensions at Low Speeds Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 232 11 2018 10.1177/0954407017731987
- White , D.L. Parametric Study of Leveling System Characteristics on Roll Stability of Trailing Arm Air Suspension for Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Papers, 2000-01-3480 2000
- Xia , J.J. , and Hu , C. Analyze of Vehicle Active Rollover Control on Air Spring Advanced Materials Research 2011 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.383-390.2618
- et al. Dynamic Rolling Stiffness Characteristic of Laterally Interconnected Air Suspension Huazhong Keji Daxue Xuebao (Ziran Kexue Ban)/Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition) 45 09 76 82 2017 10.13245/j.hust.170914.
- Asami , T. , Yokota , Y. , Ise , T. et al. Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of the Nonlinear Characteristics of an Air Spring With an Orifice Journal of Vibration & Acoustics 2013 10.1115/1.4007677
- Asami , T. , Yokota , Y. , Ise , T. et al. An Approximate Formula to Calculate the Restoring and Damping Forces of an Air Spring With a Small Tube Asme Pressure Vessels & Piping Conference 2012 10.1115/PVP2012-78481
- Zhu , H. , Yang , J. , Zhang , Y. et al. A Novel Air Spring Dynamic Model with Pneumatic Thermodynamics, Effective Friction and Viscoelastic Damping Journal of Sound and Vibration 2017 10.1016/j.jsv.2017.07.015
- Holtz , M.W. , and Niekerk , J.L. Modelling and Design of a Novel Air-spring for a Suspension Seat Journal of Sound & Vibration 329 21 2010 10.1016/j.jsv.2010.04.017
- Mullins , L. Effect of Stretching on the Properties of Rubber Rubber Chemistry & Technology 21 2 281 300 1948 10.5254/1.3546914
- Karaoglan , M.U. , and Kuralay , N.S. Determination of Dynamic Axle Load Using Suspension Deflection Method for the Load Distribution Optimisation of Multi-axle Vehicles Int. J. Vehicle Design 2019 10.1504/IJVD.2019.10032289
- Yin , Z. , Khajepour , A. , Cao , D. et al. Pneumatic Suspension Damping Characterisation with Equivalent Damping Ratio International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 2012 10.1504/IJHVS.2012.047919