This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Control of Commercial Vehicle’s Speed Using Disturbance Observer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
This paper proposes a speed controller using a disturbance observer to regulate the speed of a commercial vehicles, and presents vehicle test results to evaluate the performance of the proposed controller. Most ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System) and automated driving systems need to reliably regulate the vehicle's speed under any circumstances. A conventional PID controller is commonly used to control the vehicle speed, but performance of it varies depending on changes in external conditions. Commercial vehicles are even more susceptible to these changes than passenger cars and more difficult to obtain an accurate plant model. Considering these features, a speed controller using a disturbance observer is designed for commercial vehicles. The proposed controller treats changes in external conditions as disturbances. The modeling uncertainty is also treated as a disturbance. The disturbance observer estimates these disturbances by using the nominal plant model to compensate for the control input. The proposed controller doesn’t depend on the precision of the plant model and is resistant to unexpected disturbances. To evaluate the proposed controller through vehicle testing, it is integrated into the embedded hardware. The test results show that the proposed controller is much more robust and consistent than a mass-produced PID controller when the vehicle is subjected to unexpected disturbances due to road slope. In addition, the proposed controller is robust against vehicle’s weight change, which is required for the commercial vehicles.
CitationBang, K., Kim, S., KIM, D., and KIM, I., "Robust Control of Commercial Vehicle’s Speed Using Disturbance Observer," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0966, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0966.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Christidis , P. , Leduc , G. 2009 10.2791/12276 .
- Mayne , D.Q. , Rawlings , J.B. , Rao , C.V. , and Scokaert , P.O.M. Constrained Model Predictive Control: Stability and Optimality Automatica 36 789 814 2000 10.1016/s0005-1098(99)00214-9
- Morari , M. , and Lee , J.H. Model Predictive Control: Past, Present and Future Computers and Chemical Engineering 23 667 682 1999 10.1016/s0098-1354(98)00301-9
- Hung , J.Y. , Gao , W. , and Hung , J.C. Variable Structure Control: A Survey IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 40 2 22 1993 10.1109/41.184817
- Young , K.D. , Utkin , V.I. , and Ozguner , U. A Control Engineers Guide to Sliding Mode Control IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology 7 328 342 1999 10.1109/87.761053
- Ohishi , K. , Ohnishi , K. , and Miyachi , K. Torque-speed Regulation of DC Motor Based on Load Torque Estimation Method IEEJ/Int. Power Electron. Conf. 1209-1218 1983
- Ohnishi , K. , Shibata , M. , and Murakami , T. Motion Control for Advanced Mechatronics IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 1 56 67 1996 10.1109/3516.491410
- Schrijver , E. and van Dijk , J. Disturbance Observers for Rigid Mechanical Systems: Equivalence, Stability, and Design ASME Journal of Dynamics Systems, Measurement, and Control 124 4 539 548 10.1115/1.1513570
- Sariyildiz , E. , Sekiguchi , H. , Nozaki , T. , Ugurlu , B. et al. A Stability Analysis for the Acceleration-based Robust Position Control of Robot Manipulators via Disturbance Observer IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics 23 5 2369 2378 2018 10.1109/tmech.2018.2854844
- Sun , L. , and Zheng , Z. Disturbance Observer-based Robust Saturated Control for Spacecraft Proximity Maneuvers IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 26 2 684 692 2018 10.1109/tcst.2017.2669145
- Bohn , C. , Cortabarria , A. , Hartel , V. , and Kowalczyk , K. Active Control of Engine-Induced Vibrations in Automotive Vehicles Using Disturbance Observer Gain Scheduling Control Engineering Practice 12 8 1029 1039 2004 10.1016/j.conengprac.2003.09.008
- Dong , W. , Guo-Ying , G. , Zhu , X. , and Ding , H. High-Performance Trajectory Tracking Control of a Quadrotor with Disturbance Observer Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 211 67 77 2014 10.1016/j.sna.2014.03.011
- Zheng , Q. , and Tomizuka , M. A Disturbance Observer Approach to Detecting and Rejecting Narrow-band Disturbances in Hard Disk Drives Proceedings of 2008 IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control 254 259 2008 10.1109/amc.2008.4516075
- Liang , C.Y. , and Peng , H. Adaptive Cruise Control with Guaranteed String Stability Vehicle System Dynamics 32 4/5 313 330 1999 10.1076/vesd.32.4.313.2083