This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement for the Validation of the Aerodynamic Simulation and Wind Tunnel Test for the FAW-VW T-ROC
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Owing to the advantages and the rapid development of CFD methods in recent decades, CFD has become one of the most widely used tools in the field of automotive aerodynamic development. To improve the credibility of simulation, benchmarking with experiment is necessary, for which a large variety of factors should be considered, including the accuracy of digital model for the vehicle, the replication of the experimental environment in the simulation, and others.
In the current aerodynamic development of passenger cars at FAW-VW, CFD models used for evaluation and optimization of aerodynamic performance replicate an open-road scenario with low blockage and full moving floor. In order to improve the benchmarking accuracy, the study of the influence of the wind tunnel geometry and ground system on simulation was carried out in this paper. The results show that with considering more factors of the experiment in the simulation, the agreement between wind tunnel test and CFD simulation is improved and can better meet the current design and optimization requirements.
CitationJiang, Y., Chen, Y., Xie, W., and Friz, H., "Improvement for the Validation of the Aerodynamic Simulation and Wind Tunnel Test for the FAW-VW T-ROC," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0960, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0960.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Kandasamy , S. , Duncan , B. , Gau , H. , Maroy , F. et al. Aerodynamic Performance Assessment of BMW Validation Models Using Computational Fluid Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0297 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0297
- Cyr , S. , Ih , K. , and Park , S. Accurate Reproduction of Wind-Tunnel Results with CFD SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0158 2011 https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0158
- Kelley , B. , Vigneron , R. , Bourdassol , C. , and Bélanger , A. Modeling the S2A Wind Tunnel Using Computational Fluid Dynamics Paper No. P39-2012, 3AF Conference March 2012
- Fischer , O. , Kuthada , T. , Wiedemann , J. , Dethioux , P. et al. CFD Validation Study for a Sedan Scale Model in an Open Jet Wind Tunnel SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0325 2008 https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0325
- Feng , Q. , Luo , B. , Zhang , H. , Peng , H. et al. Optimization of the Aerodynamic Lift and Drag of LYNK&CO 03+ with Simulation and Wind Tunnel Test SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0672 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0672
- Wang , F. , Yin , Z. , Yan , S. , Zhan , J. et al. Validation of Aerodynamic Simulation and Wind Tunnel Test of the New Buick Excelle GT SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10 1 195 202 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1512
- Sun , S. , Chang , Y. , Wang , X. , Fu , Q. et al. Validation Study for the Introduction of an Aerodynamic Development Process of Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2444 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2444
- Chen , Q. , Wu , H. , Zhou , J. , and Liu , J. A Combined Digital and Experimental Process for the Aerodynamic Optimization of the New Lavida SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0204 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0204
- Chen , Y. , Liu , J. , Jiang , Y. , and Chi , Q. Aerodynamic Development of the New FAW-VW Bora SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0664 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0664
- Liu , X.H. Correlation Test Report of the Shanghai Automotive Wind Tunnel Center Proceeding of SAWTC Users’ Conference Sep. 2011