This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulating Bonnet Flutter - Unsteady Aerodynamics and Its Structural Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Government regulations and consumer needs are driving automotive manufacturers to reduce vehicle energy consumption. However, this forms part of a complex landscape of regulation and customer needs. For instance, when reducing aerodynamic drag or vehicle weight for efficiency other important factors must be taken into account.
This is seen in vehicle bonnet design. The bonnet is a large unsupported structure that is exposed to very high and often fluctuating aerodynamic loads, due to travelling in the wake of other vehicles. When travelling at high speed and in close proximity to other vehicles this unsteady aerodynamic loading can force the bonnet structure to vibrate, so-called “bonnet flutter”. A bonnet which is stiff enough to not flutter may be either too heavy for efficiency or insufficiently compliant to meet pedestrian safety requirements. On the other hand, a bonnet which flutters may be structurally compromised or undermine customer perceptions of vehicle quality.
This work demonstrates a one-way coupled CFD to FEA analysis that is capable of predicting bonnet flutter during pre-prototype development, providing an approach which can allow engineers to balance the many demands made on this structure. This is accomplished using a combination of a Lattice-Boltzmann based Very Large Eddy flow simulation tool combined with finite element analysis. Both the unsteady surface pressures and subsequent structural response of the bonnet are compared to measurements made during track testing.
This demonstrates that by reproducing the real-world unsteady flow environment we can capture this effect, which raises the possibility of undertaking design actions to avoid this issue, while at the same time minimizing structural complexity and weight.
CitationGaylard, A., Gargoloff, J., Jilesen, J., and Arata, J., "Simulating Bonnet Flutter - Unsteady Aerodynamics and Its Structural Response," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0946, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0946.
- Gaylard , A. Bonnet Flutter Test figshare https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.13238933.v1 2020
- Gupta , A. , Gargoloff , J. , and Duncan , B. Response of a Prototype Truck Hood to Transient Aerodynamic Loading SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 1 75 87 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1156
- Gaylard , A. , Beckett , M. , Gargoloff , J. , and Duncan , B. CFD-Based Modelling of Flow Conditions Capable of Inducing Hood Flutter SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 3 1 675 694 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1011
- Gaylard , A. , Gargoloff , J. , Beland , O. , and Jilesen , J. In the Wake of Others: Unsteady Bonnet Surface Pressure Predictions and Measurements SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0676 2020 10.4271/2020-01-0676
- Li , Q. , Dai , W. , Yang , Z. , and Jia , Q. Investigation on Aerodynamic Characteristics of Tailing Vehicle Hood in a Two-Vehicle Platoon Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Part D 234 1 283 299 2020 10.1177/0954407019857430
- Auza-Gutierrez , R. Prediction of Aerodynamically Induced Hood Vibration of Trailing Vehicles 2019
- Gaylard , A. Bonnet Flutter Track Test Schematic figshare https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.13238951.v2 2020
- Chen , H. , Kandasamy , S. , Orszag , S. , Shock , R. et al. Extended Boltzmann Kinetic Equation for Turbulent Flows Science 301 633 636 2003 10.1126/science.1085048
- Chen , S. , and Doolen , G.D. Lattice Boltzmann Method for Fluid Flows Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech . 30 1 329 364 1998 10.1146/annurev.fluid.30.1.329
- Kotapati , R.B. , Shock , R. , and Chen , H. Lattice-Boltzmann Simulations of Flows Over Backward-Facing Inclined Steps Int. J. Mod. Phys. C . 25 1 1340021-1 1340021-14 2014 10.1142/S0129183113400214
- Chen , H. , Chen , S. , and Matthaeus , W.H. Recovery of the Navier-Stokes Equations Using a Lattice-Gas Boltzmann Method Phys. Rev. A . 45 8 R5339 R5342 1992 10.1103/PhysRevA.45.R5339
- Ferziger , J.H. , and Kaper , H.G. Mathematical Theory of Transport Processes in Gases Amsterdam North-Holland 1972 ISBN: 044410352X
- Gaylard , A. Measured and Computed Surface Pressure Distributions over the Bonnet of a Range Rover at Zero Yaw figshare https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.13238972.v2 2020
- Gaylard , A. Measured and Simulated Unsteady Aerodynamic Bonnet Loads for a Vehicle Following Another - Time History and Spectra figshare https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.13337252.v1 2020
- Gaylard , A. The Computed Total Pressure Distribution over a Range Rover Bonnet with the Vehicle 10 m behind a Lead Car figshare https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.13238975.v1 2020
- Newbon , J. , Dominy , R. , and Sims-Williams , D. CFD Investigation of the Effect of the Salient Flow Features in the Wake of a Generic Open-Wheel Race Car SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8 1 217 232 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1539