This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Control Strategies on Voltage Inconsistency for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFC) is considered the most promising alternative vehicle power in the future owing to its highly power density and zero carbon emission. However, Voltage inconsistency of PEMFC is an essential issue that influences the performance of a PEMFC. It is affected by flow-rate and relative humidity of the inlet air. It’s necessary to establish a control strategy to ensure air supplied timely. A PEMFC system bench with 30 cells (the cells are numbered 1-30 in the direction from near to far from the air intake port) assembled in series was established to investigate the control strategy of air supply system. According to fuel cell’s position of the lowest voltage and the corresponding air flow rate, there are three different operations as follows. When it appears not in the low numbered area and the air flow rate is high, it indicates that humidity of the cell is insufficient and it needs to reduce power of the blower or close the bypass-valve. While the lowest voltage occurs not in the low numbered area and the air flow rate is low, the cell is flooded, which needs to increase power of the blower and open the bypass-valve of the humidifier. Keep the operation as before in other cases. The experimental results show that the exhaust gas entering the humidifier is a main factor at high current condition, but Cv is mainly affected by air flow-rate at low current condition. The control strategy decreased Cv by 0.3% and increased the lowest voltage of cells by 0.06V when the current was greater than 120 A.
CitationZhang, B., Gong, D., Wang, X., Liu, P. et al., "Experimental Investigation of Control Strategies on Voltage Inconsistency for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0736, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0736.
- Peighambardoust , S.J. , Rowshanzamir , S. , and Amjadi , M. Review of the Proton Exchange Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 17 9349 9384 2010 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.05.017.
- Wang , Y. , Chen , K.S. , Mishler , J. et al. A Review of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells: Technology, Applications, and Needs on Fundamental Research Applied Energy 88 4 981 1007 2011 10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.09.030.
- Hu , Z.Y. , Xu , L.F. , Li , J.Q. et al. A Novel Diagnostic Methodology for Fuel Cell Stack Health: Performance, Consistency and Uniformity Energy Conversion and Management 185 611 621 2019 10.1016/j.enconman.2019.02.031.
- Huang , F.X. , Qiu , D.K. , Lan , S.H. , Yi , P.Y. et al. Performance Evaluation of Commercial-Size Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stacks Considering Air Flow Distribution in the Manifold Energy Conversion and Management 203 2020 ARTN 11225610.1016/j.enconman.2019.112256
- Zeng , T. , Zhang , C.Z. , Huang , Z.Y. , Li , M.X. et al. Experimental Investigation on the Mechanism of Variable Fan Speed Control in Open Cathode PEM Fuel Cell International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44 43 24017 24027 2019 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.07.119.
- Sreeram , V. , Gebrehiwot , B. , Sathyanarayan , S. , Sawant , D. , et al. Factors that Affect the Performance Characteristics of Wet Cooling Pads for Data Center Applications 2015 31st Annual Semiconductor Thermal Measurement, Modeling & Management Symposium (Semi-Therm) 195 202
- Li , Y.K. , Zhao , X.Q. , Liu , Z.X. et al. Experimental Study on the Voltage Uniformity for Dynamic Loading of a PEM Fuel Cell Stack International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40 23 7361 7369 2015 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.04.058.
- Zhao , Y.Q. , Fu , Y. , Dai , C.H. , et al. The Dynamic Voltage Uniformity of the Commonly-Controlled kW-Class Air-Cooled PEMFC Proceedings of the 35th Chinese Control Conference 2016 8607 8611
- Yuan , M.W. , Rui , L. , Wen , C. Development of Individual Cell Voltage Uniformity of Fuel Cell Stack Chinese Journal of Power Sources
- Bang , J.W. , Kim , H.S. , Lee , D.H. et al. Study on Operating Characteristics of Fuel Cell Powered Electric Vehicle with Different Air Feeding Systems Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 22 8 1602 1611 2008 10.1007/s12206-008-0417-6.
- Chang , Y.A. and Moura , S. Air Flow Control in Fuel Cell Systems: An Extremum Seeking Approach Proceedings of the American Control Conference July 2009 1052 1059
- Li , M. , Dai , C.H. , Guo , A. , and Chen , W.R. Experimental Study on Dynamic Voltage Uniformity of a 2-kW Air-Cooled PEMFC Electrical Engineering 100 4 2725 2735 2018 10.1007/s00202-018-0733-5.
- Pei , P.C. and Chen , H.C. Main Factors Affecting the Lifetime of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells in Vehicle Applications: A Review Applied Energy 125 60 75 2014 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.03.048.
- Perez-Page , M. and Perez-Herranz , V. Effect of the Operation and Humidification Temperatures on the Performance of a PEM Fuel Cell Stack Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells 25 1 733 745 2009 10.1149/1.3210625
- Li , Y. , Zhao , X. , Liu , Z. et al. Experimental Study on the Voltage Uniformity for Dynamic Loading of a PEM Fuel Cell Stack International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40 23 7361 7369 2015 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.04.058.
- Dubau , L. , Castanheira , L. , Chatenet , M. , Maillard , F. et al. Carbon Corrosion Induced by Membrane Failure: The Weak Link of PEMFC Long-Term Performance International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39 36 21902 21914 2014 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.07.099.
- Giddey , S. , Ciacchi , F.T. , and Badwal , S.P.S. Design, Assembly and Operation of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Stacks to 1 kW e Capacity Journal of Power Sources 125 2 155 165 2004 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.08.026.
- Zhu , W.H. , Payne , R.U. , Cahela , D.R. , and Tatarchuk , B.J. Uniformity Analysis at MEA and Stack Levels for a Nexa PEM Fuel Cell System Journal of Power Sources 128 2 231 238 2004 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.09.074.
- Dai , C. , Shi , Q. , and Chen , W. A Review of the Single Cell Voltage Uniformity in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells China Academic Journal Electronic Publishing House 36 544(05) 119 132 2016 10.13334/j.0258-8013.pcsee.2016.05.014