This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology Development for Multibody Simulation to Understand Shift Shock Behaviour
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
One of the critical challenges for transmission design is to predict the gear shift dynamics accurately and to ensure smooth gear shift quality for different driver behaviors while shifting. This calls for detailed understanding of the RWUPs. Through prototype testing, understanding the influence of different parameters is costly and time consuming. Also, the testing does not provide necessary visualization of exact physics and the identification of issues is difficult. One of such typical concerns is shift shock while shifting the gear. Sudden gear engagement or disengagement leads to impact torque in drivetrain during shifting of gears, which in turn results in winding and unwinding of powertrain due to vehicle Inertia. This induces noise and vibration that affects driver comfort. The paper presents, the methodology to frontload prediction of dynamics of gear shifting that leads to shift shock behavior. A multi-body dynamics model of transmission with synchronizer is modeled in MSC ADAMS VIEW. The paper details out the high-fidelity multibody simulation modeling in terms of different connections, contact parameters, gear modelling, appropriate discretization of driveline systems - stiffness and inertia modelling, damping and friction considerations. Different model fidelity levels are discussed in the paper and the influence of different parameters on the shift shock phenomenon is presented. Three different numerical integrators HHT, GSTIFF and Newmark are studied, and results are presented. It is observed that the simulation results with HHT integrator are in good agreement with the test result.
CitationRATHORE, V., Gandhi, v., and Yadav, V., "Methodology Development for Multibody Simulation to Understand Shift Shock Behaviour," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0714, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0714.
- Londhe , A. , Yadav , V. , Kannaiyan , S. , Karthikeyan , K. et al. Virtual Drivetrain Simulation Using Adams View and Correlation with Test SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1361 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1361
- Milan , S.K. , Radko , S.K. The Role of the Stiffly Stable Integrators in Nonlinear Dynamic Simulations 15th Conference on Applied Mathematics - Aplimat 2016
- Negrut , Dan , Rampalli , Rajiv , Ottarsson , Gisli , and Sajdak , Anthony On the Use of the HHT Method in the Context of Index 3 Differential Algebraic Equations of Multibody Dynamics ASME 2005 Technical Conference California, USA September 24–28 2005 207 218
- Gavrea , B. , Negrut , D. , and Potra , F.A. The Newmark Integration Method for Simulation of Multibody Systems: Analytical Considerations ASME 2005 IMECE Orlando, Florida, USA Nov 5–11 2005 1079 1092
- Furch , J. and Tran , C.V. Dynamics Simulation of Mechanical Gearbox Vibration MATEC Web of Conferences 234 02002 EDP Sciences 2018