This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Modeling and Analysis Method of Dynamic Contact Stress Inside an Automotive Ball Joint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
A ball joint is an important component of the automotive drive shaft system, as well the contact stress inside the ball joint is an important optimization goal in the design of ball joints. At present, the analysis of the contact stress inside the ball joint mainly focuses on the static contact stress analysis. The static contact stress analysis, however, cannot reflect the change of the contact stress inside the ball joint. In order to analyze the contact stress of the ball joint more effectively, a hybrid flexible and rigid bodies dynamics (HFRBD) model of the ball joint for studying the dynamic contact stress inside the ball joint is proposed. In the HFRBD model, the balls are regarded as the rigid body, while the cage, the inner race and the outer race are regarded as the flexible body. The contact parameters of the contact pairs in the model are determined on the basis of Hertz contact theory. Through the destruction test of the ball joint and the numerical example, the effectiveness of the HFRBD model and the method for the analysis of the dynamic contact stress inside the ball joint is verified. Based on the proposed HFRBD model, the stress distributions of the cage, the inner race and the outer race under different rotation angles are analyzed subsequently. The presented modeling and analysis methods for the dynamic contact stress inside the ball joint in this paper have an important reference for the design of a ball joint.
CitationFeng, H. and Xihua, L., "A Modeling and Analysis Method of Dynamic Contact Stress Inside an Automotive Ball Joint," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0708, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0708.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Ryu , I. , Lim , Y. , and Nobuhiko , O. FEM Analysis of Quasistatic Fracture in CVJ Under Full-Turn and Full-Throttle Conditions International Journal of Automotive Technology 12 2 199 205 2011
- Chen , J. , and Shi , W. Contact Stress Analysis of Ball-Cage Type Constant Velocity Joint by Finite Element Method Journal of Mechanical Strength 28 6 937 943 2006
- Wang , L. , Lu , Q. , Peng , Y. et al. Contact Stress Analysis and Calculation of Ball-Cage Tape Constant Velocity Joint Vehicle Technology 3 12 21 1999
- Tang , S. , Hu , H. , and Fan , J. Raceway Contact Stress Analysis of Ball-Cage Type Constant Velocity Joint by Finite Element Method Machinery Design & Manufacture 3 49 51 2011
- Liu , H. , Zhang , L. , and Shi , Y. Dynamic Finite Element Analysis for Tapered Roller Bearings Applied Mechanics and Materials 533 21 26 2014
- Wang , C. , Zhang , X. , Zhou , J. , Wang , H. et al. Calculation Method of Dynamic Stress of Flexible Ring Gear and Dynamic Characteristics Analysis of thin Walled Ring Gear of Planetary Gear Train Journal of Vibration Engineering & Technologies 2020 https://doi.org/10.1007/s42417-020-00259-6
- Xu , F. , Wei , X. , Zhang , M. , and Nie , H. Meshing Analysis of Rigid-Flexible Coupled Model for Rack and Pinion Based on ADAMS Machinery Design & Manufacture 7 200 202 2016
- Flores , P. , Machado , M. , Silva , M.T. et al. On the Continuous Contact Force Models for Soft Materials in Multibody Dynamics Multibody System Dynamic 25 357 375 2011
- Johnson , K.L. Contact Mechanics University of Cambridge 1985
- MSC 2010
- Luo , Y. Personal Communications Ningbo, China Zhejiang Xianglong Machinery Co., Ltd 2020
- Marques , F. , Flores , P. , Claro , J.C.P. et al. Modeling and Analysis of Friction Including Rolling Effects in Multibody Dynamics: A Review Multibody System Dynamic 45 223 244 2019