This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Optimized Design of Multi-Chamber Perforated Resonators to Attenuate Turbocharged Intake System Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
The turbocharger air intake noise during transient conditions like wide open throttle and tip-in/out affects the passenger ride comfort. This paper aims to study an optimized design of multi-chamber perforated resonators to attenuate this noise. The noise produced by a turbocharger in a test vehicle has been measured to find out the noise spectral characteristics which can be used to design the acoustic targets including the amplitude and frequency range of transmission loss (TL). The structural parameters of the resonators are optimized based on genetic algorithm (GA) and two-dimensional prediction theory of the resonator TL. The optimized resonators are installed on the test vehicle to verify the actual noise reduction effect. The results suggest that the broadband noise has been eliminated, and subjective feelings are greatly improved.
CitationGuo, R. and Luo, R., "An Optimized Design of Multi-Chamber Perforated Resonators to Attenuate Turbocharged Intake System Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0669, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0669.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Evans , D. , and Ward , A. The Reduction of Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for Diesel Powertrains 8th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging London, United Kingdom 2006
- Evans , D. , and Ward , A. Minimising Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for Diesel Powertrains SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2485 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2485
- Lee , I. , Selamet , A. , Kim , H. , Kim , T. et al. Design of a Multi-Chamber Silencer for Turbocharger Noise SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1339 1344 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2048
- Kolhe , V. , Veeramani , K. , Thakur , P. , Tiwari , A. et al. Optimization of an Air Intake System to Reduce Multiple Whoosh Noises from an Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1714 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1714
- Figurella , N. et al. Effect of Inlet Vanes on Centrifugal Compressor Acoustics and Performance Noise Control Engineering Journal 62 4 232 237 2014
- Sharma , S. et al. Effects of Ported Shroud Casing Treatment on the Acoustic and flow Behaviour of a Centrifugal Compressor International Journal of Engine Research 21 6 998 1011 2020
- Guo , R. , and Zhu , W.-w. Acoustic Attenuation Performance of a Perforated Resonator with a Multi-Chamber and Its Optimal Design Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 228 9 1051 1060 2014
- Guo , R. et al. A Two-Dimensional Approach for Sound Attenuation of Multi-chamber Perforated Resonator and Its Optimal Design Applied Acoustics 127 105 117 2017