This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Analytical Method for Calculating the Hysteretic Behavior of an Asymmetry Tensioner
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
An automatic tensioner with an asymmetric damping structure used in an engine front end accessory drive system is analyzed. An analytical model is established to calculate the hysteretic behavior of the tensioner. The contact characteristics of contact pairs are modeled and investigated for disclosing relation between contact pair, friction and hysteretic loop of an automatic belt tensioner. The presented models are validated by a torque measurement versus angular displacement of a tensioning arm. The errors between the calculation and the measurement are analyzed. The working torques of the tensioner during loading and unloading process are described by a bilinear hysteretic model and are written as a function with a damping ratio. The influence of damping structure parameters on the hysteretic torque is investigated. The method presented in this paper can be used for predicting the nonlinear characteristics of a tensioner before prototyping.
CitationDeng, Z., Zhen, R., Li, R., Sun, Y. et al., "The Analytical Method for Calculating the Hysteretic Behavior of an Asymmetry Tensioner," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0655, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0655.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Shangguan , W.B. , and Zeng , X.K. Modeling and Validation of Rotational Vibration Responses for Accessory Drive System-Part II: Simulations and Analyses ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics Transactions 135 3 031003(1-13) 2013 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4023140
- Gerbert , B.G. Power Loss and Optimum Tensioning of V Belt Drives J Eng Ind 96 877 885 1974 10.1115/1.3438456
- Zhao , J. , Barker , C. , Oliver , L. et al. Experimental Testing and Modeling of Automotive Automatic Belt Tensioners SAE Technical Paper 980839 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980839
- Michon , G. , Manin , L. , and Dufour , R. Hysteretic Behavior of a Belt Tensioner: Modeling and Experimental Investigation Journal of Vibration and Control 11 9 1147 1158 2005 10.1177/1077546305055539
- Bastien , J. , Michon , G. , Manin , L. et al. An Analysis of the Modified Dahl and Massing Models: Application to a Belt Tensioner Journal of Sound and Vibration 302 (4-5) 2007 10.1016/j.jsv.2006.12.013
- Chatelet , E. , Michon , G. , Manin , L. et al. Stick/Slip Phenomena in Dynamics: Choice of Contact Model, Numerical Predictions & Experiments Mechanism and Machine Theory 43 10 1211 1224 2008 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2007.11.001
- Zhu , F. , and Parker , R.G. Influence of Tensioner Dry Friction on the Vibration of Belt Drives with Belt Bending Stiffness Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 130 1 011002(1-9) 2008 10.1115/1.2775510
- Chowdhury , S. , and Yedavalli , R.K. Dynamics of Belt-Pulley-Shaft Systems Mechanism and Machine Theory 2016 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2015.11.011
- Hao , Z. , Yumei , H. , Yangjun , P. et al. Hysteretic Damping Characteristics of a Mechanical Tensioner: Modeling and Experimental Investigation Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 4 1 13 2018 https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407018792666
- Long , S. , Zhao , X. , Xu , P. et al. Modeling and Validation for the Hysteretic Behavior of an Automatic Belt Tensioner SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1546 1 9 https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814019890228
- Kobelev , V. Durability of Springs Berlin Springer 2017 8 10
- Michon , G. , Manin , L. , and Dufour , R. Hysteretic Behavior of a Belt Tensioner: Modeling and Experimental Investigation Journal of Sound and Vibration 11 9 1147 1158 2005 10.1177/1077546305055539