This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of eFuel Formulation on Post Oxidation and Cold Start Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
The goal of reducing the impact of road transportation on the environment can be reached by different approaches. The use of non-fossil synthetic fuels from renewable energy sources in the entire fleet of internal combustion engine vehicles is only one promising pathway to minimize the vehicle’s carbon footprint during the use phase. The steadily tightening emissions legislation confront the developers of future combustion engines with major challenges: Historically, the chemical and physical improvement of the combustion process, tail pipe emissions reduction and the development of optimized after-treatment systems were linked to improvements in fuel quality. In order to further decrease exhaust gas emissions, the optimization of the chemical composition of renewable fuels are a basic requirement.
Due to the fact that the majority of the cycle emissions are generated during the cold start and the warm up phase, the operation before the light-off of the three-way catalyst plays a decisive role. One way to reduce the emissions before light-off is inducing a post-oxidation of the pollutants by secondary air introduction. The exothermic reaction oxidizes the pollutants and thereby increases the enthalpy of the exhaust gas. Besides the design influences, the engine operation and raw emissions determine the quality of the oxidation.
The influence of different fuel composition was investigated under cold start conditions on a research single cylinder engine and a flat six Porsche engine. Two flat six engines with different combustion designs and secondary air configurations were used to further evaluate the fuel composition influence on post oxidation. To indicate the dependencies of fuel parameters, variations of the influencing factors were undertaken.
Significant improvements of cold start emissions were obtained with different fuel compositions compared to existing types of market fuels. Beside the increase in post oxidation rates, a reduction of raw emissions was achieved.
CitationVillforth, J., Kulzer, A., Weißhaar, A., Deeg, H. et al., "The Influence of eFuel Formulation on Post Oxidation and Cold Start Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0632, 2021.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Kulzer , A.C. , Deeg , H.P. , Villforth , J. , Schwarzenthal , D. et al. Sustainable Mobility Using Fuels with Pathways to Low Emissions SAE Int. J. Advances & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2 4 1870 1892 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0345
- Siemens Energy and Porsche, with Partners https://assets.siemens-energy.com/siemens/assets/api/uuid:9dc96d99-7dac-4fec-8979-394a9fd9f0f9/2020.12.02-Joint-Press-Release-Siemens-Energy-and-Porsche-with-partners-advance-climate-neutral-e-fuel-development.pdf
- Borland , M. , and Zhao , F. Application of Secondary Air Injection for Simultaneousely Reducing Converter-In Emissions and Improving Catalyst Light-Off Performance SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2803 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2803
- Reif , K. Ottomotor-Management Wiesbaden Springer Fachmedien 2014 978-3-8348-1416-6
- Schatz , A. , Knorr , T. , and Ellmer , D. Elektrischer Heizkatalysator zur Optimierung der Emissionen von Mildhybridsystemen MTZ 02 46 52 2016
- Pritchard , J. , and Cheng , W. Effects of Secondary Air on the Exhaust Oxidation of Particulate Matters SAE Int. J. Engines 8 3 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0886
- Kumar , M. , Moeeni , S. , Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. et al. Investigation of H2 Formation Characterization and Its Contribution to Post-Oxidation Phenomenon in a Turbocharged DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2188 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2188
- Heimrich et al. On-Board Hydrogen Generation for Rapid Catalyst Light-Off SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1841 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1841
- Kärcher , V. , Hellier , P. , and Ladommatos , N. Effects of Exhaust Gas Hydrogen Addition and Oxygenated Fuel Blends on the Light-Off Performance of a Three-Way Catalyst SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2329 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2329
- BSI EN 228:2012+A1 Automotive Fuels - Unleaded Petrol - Requirements and Test Methods 2017
- Menrad , H. , and König , A. Alkoholkraftstoffe Springer Vienna 1982
- Wasserbäch , T. , Brandl , T. , Wessels , M. , Martiny , M. et al. Die 6-Zylinder Boxermotoren im neuen Porsche 911 Wiener Motorensymposium 40 2019
- Wasserbäch , T. , Brandl , T. , Schmidt , R. Die Sechszylinder-Boxermotoren im Porsche 911 MTZ - Motortechnische Zeitschrift 16 24
- Herrin , R.J. The Importance of Secondary Air Mixing in Exhaust Thermal Reactor Systems SAE Technical Paper 750174 1975 https://doi.org/10.4271/750174
- Koehlen , C. , Holder , E. , and Vent , G. Investigation of Post Oxidation and Ist Dependency on Engine Combustion and Exhaust Manifold Design SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0744 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0744
- Kollmann , K. , Abthoff , J. , Zahn , W. , Bischof , H. , and Göhre , J. Secondary Air Injection with a New Developed Electrical Blower for Reduced Exhaust Emissions SAE Technical Paper 940472 1994 https://doi.org/10.4271/940472
- Versa06 FTIR Analyzing System https://www.iag-ng.at/versa06-FTIR-Analyse-System.html
- Kee , R.J. , Coltrin , M.E. , Glarborg , P. , and Zhu , H. Chemically Reacting Flow: Theory and Practice 2nd John Wiley and Sons 2017
- Andrae , J.C.G. , and Head , R.A. THCCI Experiments with Gasoline Surrogate Fuels Modeled by a Semidetailed Chemical Kinetic Model Combustion and Flame 156 4 842 851 2008
- Hernandez , J. A Study of the Thermochemical Conditions in the Exhaust Manifold using Secondary Air in a 2.0 L Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1676 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1676
- Serrano , D. , Lavy , J. , Kleemann , A. , Zinola , S. et al. Post Oxidation Study During Secondary Air Injection for Fast Catalyst Light-Off SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2706 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2706
- Bockhorn , H. Soot Formation in Combustion: Mechanisms and Models Springer Berlin 1994