This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Secondary Emission Control towards Post China 6 Legislation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
China 6 emission legislation was finalized in 2018 and the full implementation nationwide is postponed to 2021 due to COVID-19. It is foreseen that the post China 6 legislation will have more stringent primary and secondary emission requirements including further reduction of nitrous oxide (N2O) emissions and likely to include limits on ammonia (NH3) emissions.
This study investigated the secondary emissions (i.e. N2O and NH3) of a variety of China 6 production gasoline vehicles operating under the worldwide harmonized light vehicles test cycle (WLTC) and random test standardized aggressive (RTS 95) cycle. It was found that N2O emissions were less than 5 mg/km on all these vehicles, far below the current China 6 limit (20 mg/km), however NH3 emissions varied from 2 to 48 mg/km among the production vehicles.
The mechanisms of N2O and NH3 formation and their correlation with primary emissions were also investigated. Methods to reduce N2O and NH3 emissions were discussed from the perspective of catalyst system design, including substrate volume, platinum group metals (PGM), and washcoat loading. Finally, a gasoline ammonia slip catalyst (gASC) was proposed and tested on selected vehicles as an add-on device on targeting the reduction of NH3 emissions. NH3 emissions were reduced significantly reduced below 5 mg/km on the WLTC.
CitationLei, Z., Zhang, J., Zhou, M., Braun, C. et al., "Secondary Emission Control towards Post China 6 Legislation," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0580, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0580.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- 2016 2016
- Diesel Net https://dieselnet.com/standards/
- Hopwood , P. and Shalders , B.
- 2 https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legalcontent/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32019R0631
- Cadles , S.H. , and Mulawa , P.A. Low-molecular-weight Aliphatic Amines in Exhaust from Catalyst-equipped Cars Environmental Science and Technology 14 6 718 723 1980
- Lipman , T.E. , and Delucchi , M.A. Emissions of Nitrous Oxide and Methane from Conventional and Alternative Fuel Motor Vehicles Climate Change 2002 10.1023/A:1015235211266
- Ravishankara , A.R. , Daniel , J.S. , and Portmann , R.W. Nitrous Oxide (N 2 O): The Dominant Ozone-Depleting Substance Emitted in the 21st Century Science 326 123 125 2009
- Prigent , G. , Soete , D. , and Dozière , R. The Effect of Aging on Nitrous Oxide N 2 O Formation by Automotive Three-Way Catalysts Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis 71 425 436 1991 10.1016/S0167-2991(08)62994-8
- Graham , L.A. , Belisle , S.L. , and Rieger , P. Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Light Duty Vehicles Atmospheric Environment 43 2031 2044 2009 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.01.002
- Kim , D.S. , Ryu , J.H. , Yoo , Y.S. , Jung , S.W. , and Kim , D.W. Characteristics of N 2 O Emission Factor and Measurements from Gasoline-Powered Passenger Vehicles Journal of Environmental Science International 16 2 179 185 10.5322/JES.2007.16.2.179
- Borsari , V. , and Assunção , J.V.D. Nitrous Oxides Emissions from Gasohol, Ethanol and CNG Light Duty Vehicles Climatic Change 111 519 5311 2012 http://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-011-0203-9
- Ball , D. , Moser , D. , Yang , Y. , and Lewis , D. N 2 O Emissions of Low Emission Vehicles SAE Int. J. Fuels. Lubr. 6 2 2013 http://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1300
- Bishop , G.A. , and Stedman , D.H. Reactive Nitrogen Species Emission Trends in Three Light-/Medium-Duty United States Fleets Environ. Sci. Technol. 49 11234 11240 2015
- Link , M.F. , Kim , J. , Park , G. , Lee , T. et al. Elevated Production of NH4NO3 from the Photochemical Processing of Vehicle Exhaust: Implications for Air Quality in the Seoul Metropolitan Region Atmos. Environ. 156 95 101 2017
- Suarez-Bertoa , R. , and Astorga , C. Unregulated Emissions from Light-duty Hybrid Electric Vehicles Atmos. Environ. 136 134 143 2016
- Suarez-Bertoa , R. , Pavlovic , J. , Trentadue , G. , Otura-Garcia , M. et al. Effect of Low Ambient Temperature on Emissions and Electric Range of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles ACS Omega 4 3159 3168 2019
- Wang , K. , Fan , S. , Guo , J. , and Sun , G. Characteristics of Ammonia Emission from Motor Vehicle Exhaust in Beijing Environmental Engineering 36 3 Mar 2018
- Wang , B. , Yang , J. , Zhong , S. , Zhou , L. , Shuang , J. , Huang , Q. , and Feng , Q. Preliminary Study on the Emission Characteristics of Ammonia from Motor Vehicle Exhaust in Guangzhou The 18th China Conference on Atmospheric Environment, Science and Technology 2011
- Gandhi , H. , and Shelef , M. Ammonia Formation in the Catalytic Reduction of Nitric Oxide, III. The Role of Water Gas Shift, Reduction by Hydrocarbons, and Steam Reforming Industrial & Engineering Chemistry, Process Design and Development 13 1 1974 10.1021/i360049a016
- Suarez-Bertoa , R. , Zardini , A.A. , and Astorga , C. Ammonia Exhaust Emission from Spark Ignition Vehicles over the New European Driving Cycle Atmospheric Environment 97 43 53 2014 http://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2014.07.050
- Borsari , V. , and Assunção , J.V.D. Ammonia Emissions from a Light-Duty Vehicle Transportation Research Part D 51 53 61 2017 http://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2016.12.008
- Wang , X. , Ge , Y. , Gong , H. , Yang , Z. et al. Ammonia Emissions from China-6 Compliant Gasoline Vehicles Tested over the WLTC Atmospheric Environment 2018 http://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2018.11.027
- Pradhan , S. , Thiruvengadam , A. , Thiruvengadam , P. , Demirgok , B. et al. Development of an Ammonia Reduction Aftertreatment Systems for Stoichiometric Natural Gas Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 1 2017 http://doi.org/10.4271/2.17-26-0143
- Schoenhaber , J. , Richter , J. , Despres , J. , Schmidt , M. et al. Advanced TWC Technology to Cover Future Emission Legislations SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0999 2015 http://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0999
- Zhang , J. , and Richter , J.K. Catalysts for Post Euro 6 Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0354 2020 http://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0354
- Ball , D. , Meng , X. , and Gu , W. Vehicle Emission Solutions for China 6b and Euro 7 SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0654 2020 http://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0654