This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermodynamic and Chemical Analysis of the Effect of Working Substances on the Argon Power Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
The Argon Power Cycle engine is a novel concept for high efficiency and zero emission through the replacement of N2 by Ar. However, the higher in-cylinder temperature and pressure as by-products cause heavier knock. The anti-knock strategies, such as reducing compression ratio and retarding ignition time, offset the efficiency increased by the Argon Power Cycle. Therefore, knock control becomes the most urgent task for the Argon Power Cycle engine development. The anti-knock methods, including fuel replacement, ultra-lean combustion, high dilution combustion, and water injection, were considered. The simulated ignition delay times were used to evaluate the probability of knock. The Otto cycle, combined with chemical equilibrium, was utilized to confirm the effect on the thermal conversion efficiency and each in-cylinder thermodynamic state parameter. The results show that the ignition delay times increase by a factor of two when the Ar dilution ratio increases from 79% to 95%. With a compression ratio of nine and an Ar dilution ratio of 95%, the thermal conversion efficiency of the H2-fueled Argon Power Cycle is 70%. At temperature ranging from 800 to 1200 K, the ignition delay times increase by a factor of two when the excess oxygen ratio increases from 1.0 to 3.0. The autoignition inhibiting effect of fuel replacement rises with the increasing temperature. At 1200 K, the ignition delay times increase by a factor of 100 with H2 replaced by either CH4 or NH3. Additive steam has a negligible effect on ignition delay times. The H2-fueled Argon Power Cycle engine with a dilution ratio higher than 95% and an excess oxygen ratio of 3.0 seems to be the best design. CH4 and NH3 both have excellent anti-knock quality but should be applied with dedicated methods to eliminate CO, CO2, and NOx emissions introduced into Argon Power Cycle engines.
CitationJin, S., Deng, J., and Li, L., "Thermodynamic and Chemical Analysis of the Effect of Working Substances on the Argon Power Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0447, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0447.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Li , L. , Gong , Y. , Deng , J. , and Gong , X. CO 2 Reduction Request and Future High-Efficiency Zero-Emission Argon Power Cycle Engine Automotive Innovation 1 1 43 53 2018 10.1007/s42154-018-0007-y
- Jin , S. , Deng , J. , Gong , X. , and Li , L. Thermodynamic Analysis on Factors Influencing the Thermal Conversion Efficiency of the Argon Power Cycle Engine Transactions of CSICE 38 4 351 358 2020 10.16236/j.cnki.nrjxb.202004046
- De Boer , P.C.T. , and Hulet , J.-F. Performance of a Hydrogen-Oxygen-Noble Gas Engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 5 4 439 452 1980 10.1016/0360-3199(80)90024-5.
- Ikegami , M. , Miwa , K. , and Shioji , M. A Study of Hydrogen Fueled Compression Ignition Engines International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 7 4 341 353 1982 10.1016/0360-3199(82)90127-6
- Kuroki , R. , Kato , A. , Kamiyama , E. , and Sawada , D. Study of High Efficiency Zero-Emission Argon Circulated Hydrogen Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0581 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0581
- Sierra-Aznar , M. , Pineda , D.I. , Cage , B.S. , Corvello , J.P. et al. Experimental Investigation of Port and Direct Injection Strategies for Internal Combustion Engines with Argon as the Working Fluid presented at European Combustion Meeting Dubrovnik, Croatia 2017 10.17605/OSF.IO/PT67Q
- Mohammed , A.M. , Masurier , J.-B. , Elkhazraji , A. , Dibble , R. et al. A Path Towards High Efficiency Using Argon in An HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0951 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0951
- Chourou , F. , Sierra-Aznar , M. , Chen , J.-Y. , and Dreizler , A. A New Efficient Model for Multicomponent Membrane Separation and Application to the Argon Power Cycle presented at 2017 Fall Technical Meeting of the Western States Section of the Combustion Institute Laramie, Wyoming, USA 2017 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320173100_A_new_efficient_model_for_multicomponent_membrane_separation_and_application_to_the_Argon_Power_Cycle
- Killingsworth , N.J. , Rapp , V.H. , Flowers , D.L. , Aceves , S.M. et al. Increased Efficiency in SI Engine with Air Replaced by Oxygen in Argon Mixture Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33 2 3141 3149 2011 10.1016/j.proci.2010.07.035.
- Killingsworth , N.J. , Rapp , V.H. , Flowers , D.L. , Aceves , S.M. et al. Characteristics of Knock in Hydrogen-Oxygen-Argon SI Engine presented at 2010 Spring Technidal Meeting of the Western States Section of the Combustion Institute Boulder, Colorado, USA 2010 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241963083_Characteristics_of_Knock_in_Hydrogen-Oxygen-Argon_SI_Engine
- Deng , J. , Gong , X. , Zhan , Y. , Gong , Y. et al. Experiment on combustion characteristics of natural gas in cylinder under Ar-O 2 atmosphere Transactions of CSICE 35 1 38 43 2017 10.16236/j.cnki.nrjxb.201701006
- Hafiz , N.M. , Mansor , M.R.A. , and Mahmood , W.M.F.W. Simulation of the Combustion Process for a CI Hydrogen Engine in an Argon-Oxygen Atmosphere International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43 24 11286 11297 2018 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.05.022.
- Liu , C. , and Karim , G.A. A Simulation of the Combustion of Hydrogen in HCCI Engines Using a 3D Model with Detailed Chemical Kinetics International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 14 3863 3875 2008 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.04.028
- Mansor , M.R.A. , and Shioji , M. Investigation of the Combustion Process of Hydrogen Jets Under Argon-Circulated Hydrogen-Engine Conditions Combustion and Flame 173 245 257 2016 10.1016/j.combustflame.2016.07.032
- Elkhazraji , A. , Mohammed , A. , Jan , S. , Masurier , J.-B. et al. On Maximizing Argon Engines’ Performance via Subzero Intake Temperatures in HCCI Mode at High Compression Ratios SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1133 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1133
- Jan , S.M. , Mohammed , A. , Elkhazraji , A. , Masurier , J.-B. et al. The Road Towards High Efficiency Argon SI Combustion in a CFR Engine: Cooling the Intake to Sub-Zero Temperatures SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0550 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0550
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Second USA McGraw-Hill Education 2018 482 978-1-260-11610-6
- Shi , S. , Tomomatsu , Y. , Chaturvedi , B. , Aznar , M.S. , and Chen , J.Y. Engine Efficiency Enhancement and Operation Range Extension by Argon Power Cycle Using Natural Gas Applied Energy 281 116109 2021 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.116109
- Attar , A.A. , and Karim , G.A. Knock Rating of Gaseous Fuels Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 125 2 500 504 2003 10.1115/1.1560707
- Leiker , M. , Christoph , K. , Rankl , M. , Cartellion , W. , and Pfiefer , U. 1973
- Gersen , S. , Anikin , N.B. , Mokhov , A.V. , and Levinsky , H.B. Ignition Properties of Methane/Hydrogen Mixtures in a Rapid Compression Machine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 7 1957 1964 2008 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.01.017
- Donohoe , N. , Heufer , K.A. , Aul , C.J. , Petersen , E.L. et al. Influence of Steam Dilution on the Ignition of Hydrogen, Syngas and Natural Gas Blends at Elevated Pressures Combustion and Flame 162 4 1126 1135 2015 10.1016/j.combustflame.2014.10.005.
- Grannell , S.M. , Assanis , D.N. , Bohac , S.V. , and Gillespie , D.E. The Fuel Mix Limits and Efficiency of a Stoichiometric, Ammonia, and Gasoline Dual Fueled Spark Ignition Engine Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 130 4 1 8 2008 10.1115/1.2898837.
- He , X. , Shu , B. , Nascimento , D. , Moshammer , K. et al. Auto-ignition Kinetics of Ammonia and Ammonia/Hydrogen Mixtures at Intermediate Temperatures and High Pressures Combustion and Flame 206 189 200 2019 10.1016/j.combustflame.2019.04.050.
- Kang , Z. , Fu , L. , Deng , J. , and Wu , Z. Experimental Study of Knock Control in An Internal Combustion Rankine Cycle Engine Journal of Tongji University (Natural Science) 45 7 1030 1036 2017 10.11908/j.issn.0253-374x.2017.07.013.
- Khatri , J. , Sharma , N. , Dahlander , P. , and Koopmans , L. Effect of Relative Humidity on Water Injection Technique in Downsized Spark Ignition Engines International Journal of Engine Research 2020 10.1177/1468087420940854
- Das , A.K. , Sung , C.J. , Zhang , Y. , and Mittal , G. Ignition Delay Study of Moist Hydrogen/Oxidizer Mixtures Using a Rapid Compression Machine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37 8 6901 6911 2012 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.01.111
- Goodwin , D.G. , Speth , R.L. , Moffat , H.K. , and Weber , B.W. https://www.cantera.org 2018 10.5281/zenodo.1174508
- Glarborg , P. , Miller , J.A. , Ruscic , B. , and Klippenstein , S.J. Modeling Nitrogen Chemistry in Combustion Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 67 31 68 2018 10.1016/j.pecs.2018.01.002
- Kéromnès , A. , Metcalfe , W.K. , Heufer , K.A. , Donohoe , N. et al. An Experimental and Detailed Chemical Kinetic Modeling Study of Hydrogen and Syngas Mixture Oxidation at Elevated Pressures Combustion and Flame 160 6 995 1011 2013 10.1016/j.combustflame.2013.01.001.