This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pre-ignition Detection Followed by Immediate Damage Mitigation in a Spark-Ignited Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Pre-ignition remains a significant bottleneck to further downsizing and downspeeding technologies employed for reducing CO2 emissions in modern turbocharged spark-ignited engines. Pre-ignition, which occurs rarely, may lead to high peak pressures that auto-ignite the entire charge before TDC. The resulting high-pressure oscillations are known as super-knock, leading to sudden and permanent hardware damage to the engine. Over the years, numerous researchers have investigated the stochastic phenomenon’s source and concluded that there is a role of lubricant additives, deposits, gasoline properties, and hot surfaces in triggering pre-ignition. No single source has been identified; the research continues. Here, we take a different approach; rather than continue the search for the source(s) of super-knock, we explore mitigating super-knock by detecting pre-ignition early enough to take immediate evasive action. Such evasive action is expected to suppress knock intensity, thereby saving the engine from any permanent damage.
In this regard, the current work offers ways to detect pre-ignition (using ion sensors) and then mitigate engine damage by using immediate fuel enrichment. We present three related explorations.
In exploration #1, we explore if the occurrence of ions products from the exhaust can warn that the next cycle has a high probability of pre-ignition. For this next cycle, the intake fuel injection can be suspended or increased to operate engine fuel-rich. We find strong ion activity on every cycle. However, there is a weak correlation between the ion signal and pre-ignition occurrence.
In exploration #2, an in-cylinder ion-current sensor is used to discover pre-ignition event unfolding during the compression stroke. When such a rare event is detected, more fuel is immediately injected, making the end gas far less reactive and avoiding autoignition and knock. These explorations #1 and #2 were conducted with a DC-based ion sensor. These explorations showed exciting and promising findings. However, our DC-based ion sensors are prone to low signal-to-noise ratio SNR, leading to false positives (unacceptably high number of false positives.)
In Exploration #3, the signal-to-noise ratio improvement is explored by replacing the DC-based system with a novel AC-based system. We find the bandpass filtering of the ion signal is key to improved SNR.
CitationSingh, E. and Dibble, R., "Pre-ignition Detection Followed by Immediate Damage Mitigation in a Spark-Ignited Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0437, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0437.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York Mcgraw-hill 1988
- Dadam , S.R. , Jentz , R. , and Meissner , H. Diagnostic Evaluation of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System on Gasoline Electric Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0902 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0902
- Singh , E. , Ali , M.J.M. , Ichim , A. , Morganti , K. , and Dibble , R. Effect of Mixture Formation and Injection Strategies on Stochastic Pre-Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1678 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1678
- Hitomi , M. , Hayashi , T. , Sumida , K. , Yamakawa , M. , Matsuzaki , S. , and Maeda , H. 2005
- Kuzhagaliyeva , N. , Thabet , A. , Singh , E. , Ghanem , B. , and Sarathy , S.M. Using Deep Neural Networks to Diagnose Engine Pre-ignition Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2020
- Bogin , G. Jr. , Chen , J.-Y. , and Dibble , R.W. The Effects of Intake Pressure, Fuel Concentration, and Bias Voltage on the Detection of Ions in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32 2 2877 2884 2009
- Henein , N.A. , Bryzik , W. , Abdel-Rehim , A. , and Gupta , A. Characteristics of ion Current Signals in Compression Ignition and Spark Ignition Engines SAE International Journal of Engines 3 1 260 281 2010
- Stoddard , E.J. 1902
- Mcmullin , F.R. 1901
- Downs , D. , and Pigneguy , J. An Experimental Investigation Into pre-ignition in the Spark-ignition Engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Automobile Division 4 1 125 149 1950
- Downs , D. , and Theobald , F. The Effect of Fuel Characteristics and Engine Operating Conditions on Pre-ignition Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Automobile Division 178 1 89 108 1963
- Melby , A. , Diggs , D. , and Sturgis , B. An Investigation of Preignition in Engines SAE Technical Paper 540219 1954 https://doi.org/10.4271/540219
- Butt , R. , Chen , Y. , Mack , J. , Saxena , S. et al. Improving Ion Current of Sparkplug Ion Sensors in HCCI Combustion Using Sodium, Potassium, and Cesium Acetates: Experimental and Numerical Modeling Proceedings of the combustion institute 35 3 3107 3115 2015
- Saxena , S. , Chen , J. , and Dibble , R. Increasing the Signal-to-noise Ratio of Sparkplug Ion Sensors through the Addition of a Potassium Acetate Fuel Additive Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33 2 3081 3088 2011
- Tong , S. , Yang , Z. , He , X. , Deng , J. et al. Knock and Pre-ignition Detection Using Ion Current Signal on a Boosted Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0792 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0792
- Wang , J. et al. Cycle Pre-Ignition Diagnosis and Super-Knock Suppression by Employing Ion Current in a GDI Boosted Engine SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1148 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1148
- Kumano , K. , Akagi , Y. , Matohara , S. , Uchise , Y. , and Yamasaki , Y. Using an Ion-current Sensor Integrated in the Ignition System to Detect Precursory Phenomenon of Pre-ignition in Gasoline Engines Applied Energy 275 115341 2020
- Cavina , N. , Rojo , N. , Poggio , L. , Calogero , L. , and Cevolani , R. Investigation on Pre-ignition Combustion Events and Development of Diagnostic Solutions Based on ion Current Signals SAE International Journal of Engines 10 4 1518 1523 2017
- Haenel , P. , Kleeberg , H. , de Bruijn , R. , and Tomazic , D. Influence of Ethanol Blends on Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged, Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 10 95 105 2017
- Wilstermann , H. , Greiner , A. , Hohner , P. , Kemmler , R. et al. Ignition System Integrated AC Ion Current Sensing for Robust and Reliable Online Engine Control SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0553 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0553
- Singh , E. , Morganti , K. , and Dibble , R. Knock and Pre-Ignition Limits on Utilization of Ethanol in Octane-on-Demand Concept SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0108 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0108
- Singh , E. , Morganti , K. , and Dibble , R.W. Dual-fuel operation of Gasoline and Natural Gas in a Turbocharged Engine FUEL 2018
- Singh , E. , Hlaing , P. , and Dibble , R.W. Investigating Water Injection in Single-Cylinder Gasoline Spark-Ignited Engines at Fixed Speed Energy & Fuels 2020
- Singh , E. , Hlaing , P. , Shi , H. , and Dibble , R. Effect of Different Fluids on Injection Strategies to Suppress Pre-Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0257 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0257
- Singh , E. , and Dibble , R. Mechanism triggering Pre-Ignition in Turbo-charged Engines SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0255 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0255
- Singh , E. , and Dibble , R. Effectiveness of Fuel Enrichment on Knock Suppression in a Gasoline Spark-Ignited Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1665 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1665
- Khosravi , M. , Ruhland , H. , Lorenz , T. , and Weber , C. Investigation into Occurrence of Megaknock and Auto-Ignition in GTDI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0690 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0690
- Costanzo , V.S. , Yu , X. , Chapman , E. , Davis , R. , and Haenel , P. Fuel & Lubricant Effects on Stochastic Preignition SAE International Journal of Advances and Current Practices in Mobility 1 259 277 2019
- Cairns , A. , and Koupaie , M.M. The Competing Chemical and Physical Effects of Transient Fuel Enrichment During Heavy Knock in an Optical SI Engine Using Ethanol Blends SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0665 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0665
- Design , R. CHEMKIN-PRO San Diego, CA Reaction Design 2008
- Sarathy , S.M. et al. Compositional Effects on the Ignition of FACE Gasolines Combustion and Flame 169 171 193 2016
- Singh , E. , and Dibble , R. Knock, Auto-Ignition and Pre-Ignition Tendency of Fuels for Advanced Combustion Engines (FACE) with Ethanol Blends and Similar RON SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0613 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0613