This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology for Parameter Estimation of Nonlinear Single Track Models from Multibody Full Vehicle Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
In vehicle dynamics, simple and fast vehicle models are required, especially in the framework of real-time simulations and autonomous driving software. Therefore, a trade-off between accuracy and simulation speed must be pursued by selecting the appropriate level of detail and the corresponding simplifying assumptions based on the specific purpose of the simulation. The aim of this study is to develop a methodology for map and parameter estimation from multibody simulation results, to be used for simplified vehicle modelling focused on handling performance. In this paper, maneuvers, algorithms and results of the parameter estimation are reported, together with their integration in single track models with increasing complexity and fidelity. The agreement between the multibody model, used as reference, and four single track models is analyzed and discussed through the evaluation of the correlation index. The good match between the models validates the adopted simulation methodology both during steady-state and during transient maneuvers. In a similar way, this method could be applied to experimental data gathered from a real instrumented car rather than from a multibody model.
CitationGalvagno, E., Galfrè, M., Mari, G., Velardocchia, M. et al., "A Methodology for Parameter Estimation of Nonlinear Single Track Models from Multibody Full Vehicle Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0336, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0336.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Galvagno , E. , Galfrè , M. , Velardocchia , M. , Morello , A. et al. Experimental-Numerical Correlation of a Multibody Model for Comfort Analysis of a Heavy Truck SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0768 2020
- Mavros , G. A Study on the Influences of Tyre Lags and Suspension Damping on the Instantaneous Response of a Vehicle Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Autom. Eng. 222 4 485 498 2008
- Mosconi , L. , Farroni , F. , Sakhnevych , A. , Timpone , F. , Capobianco , A. and Gerbino , F.S. Identification of Tire Transient Parameters from Vehicle Onboard Sensors Data Niola , V. , Gasparetto , A. Advances in Italian Mechanism Science 91 2021
- Guiggiani , M. The Science of Vehicle Dynamics 2nd Springer 2018
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 4138:2004 Passenger cars - Steady-state circular driving behavior - Open-loop test method 2004
- Galvagno , E. , Mauro , S. , Pastorelli , S. , Servetti , A. , and Tota , A. A Smart Measuring System for Vehicle Dynamics Testing SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1066 2020 10.4271/2020-01-1066
- Selmanaj , D. , Corno , M. , Panzani , G. , and Savaresi , S.M. Robust Vehicle Side Slip Estimation Based on Kinematic Considerations IFAC-PapersOnLine 50 1 14855 14860 2017
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 7401:2003 Road Vehicles - Lateral Transient Response Test Methods - Open-loop Test Method 2003
- Bracewell , R. The Fourier Transform & Its Applications 3rd CT: McGraw-Hill Stanford 1999
- ADAMS/Tire Manual 2005
- Ozer , D.J. Correlation and the Coefficient of Determination Psychol Bull. 97 2 307 315 1985