This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Study of the Effective Contact Area of Suction Cup
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
As the industry moves further into the automotive age, the failure of the cup during the transportation of the parts during the assembly process is costly. Among them, the effective contact area of the suction cup could influence the significant availability of the pressure, which is necessary to investigate the truth. The essential objective for this research is trying to improve the effectiveness of the suction cups during gripers work in company’s industry. In this research, the real work condition is simulated by the experimental setup to find the influence of the effective contact area. In this paper, the proper methodology to measure the effective area by testing different size cups under different conditions is described. The results are verified by the digital image correlation (DIC) technique. It proves that the DIC method is a precise way to measure the effective contact area of the suction cup and determine the angle between the cup membrane and contact surface in the vacuumed cup. The objective of this project is to improve the suction cup design by investigating the effective contact area.
CitationGuo, B., Zhang, B., Fang, S., Yang, L. et al., "The Study of the Effective Contact Area of Suction Cup," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0298, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0298.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Xu , W. , Zhang , B. , Wang , R. , Ma , W. et al. Measurement and Evaluation of Vacuum Suction Cups Using Digital Image Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0542 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0542
- Barber , J.R. Contact Mechanics (Solid Mechanics and Its Applications) Springer 2018
- Tiwari , A. , and Persson , B.N.J. Physics of Suction Cups Soft Matter 15 9482 9499 2019 doi.org/10.1039/C9SM01679A
- Dapp , W.B. , Lücke , A. , Persson , B.N.J. , and Müser , M.H. Self-Affine Elastic Contacts: Percolation and Leakage Phys. Rev. Lett. 108 244301 2012
- Tramacere , F. , Follador , M. , Pugno , N.M. , and Mazzolai , B. Octopus-Like Suction Cups: From Natural to Artificial Solutions Bioinspiration & Biomimetics 10 3
- Ge , D. , Matsuno , T. , Sun , Y. , Ren , C. et al. Quantitative Study on the Attachment and Detachment of a Passive Suction Cup ScienceDirect 116 13 20 June 2015 doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2015.02.013
- Castany , P. , Diologent , F. , and Rossoll , A. Influence of Quench Rate and Microstructure on Bendability of AA6016 Materials Science & Engineering A 559 558 565 2013
- Tong , W. Plastic Surface Strain Mapping of Bent Sheets by Image Correlation Society for Experimental Mechanics 44 5 502 510 2004
- Davidkov , A. et al. Strain Localization and Damage Development during Bending of Al-Mg Alloy Materials Science & Engineering A 550 395 407 2012
- Guo , B. , Zheng , X. , Zhang , B. , Wang , R. et al. Tracking Panel Movement during Stamping Process Using Advanced Optical Technology SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0541 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0541
- Chen , X. , Xu , N. , Yang , L. , and Xiang , D. High Temperature Displacement and Strain Measurement Using a Monochromatic Light Illuminated Stereo Digital Image Correlation System
- Xu , W. , Yang , G. et al. A New Measurement of Aluminum Alloy Edge Stretching Limit Based on Digital Image Correlation Method SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0364 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0364
- SCHMALZ https://www.schmalz.com/en/vacuum-technology-for-automation/vacuum-components/vacuum-suction-cups/suction-cups-for-handling-sheet-metal/bell-shaped-suction-cups-sax