This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Vehicle Lane Change Based on Vehicle Speed Planning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Lane changing manoeuvers is an essential rudiment in vehicle driving and has a significant impact on the characteristics of traffic flow. In the case of traditional cars, the driver operates the vehicle to complete the lane change whilst for autonomous vehicles, completing the lane change requires planning the lane change trajectory and controlling the vehicle speed during the lane change. Unreasonable lane change trajectory and vehicle speed may cause the vehicle to lose stability, threaten driving safety, increase energy consumption and waste energy. This paper considers the safety and economy of the lane changing process, and proposes a new lane changing method for vehicles. Firstly, use the existing virtual driving scene model in the laboratory to connect to the virtual driving instrument and use Unity3D to collect the driver’s lane-changing trajectory data, compare and analyze the lane-changing time and longitudinal average speed of different vehicles, establish the vehicle lane-changing trajectory model, and based on the obtained lane change the trajectory model is used to plan the lane change trajectory route. Then optimize the lane-changing trajectory model by adding constraints, and use the quadratic programming algorithm to make the lane-changing model more accurate. Secondly, when a vehicle needs to perform a lane-changing task, based on the vehicle dynamics model and the lane-changing model, a dynamic programming algorithm is used to plan the speed of the vehicle during the lane-changing process to achieve the optimal decision, mainly by taking the curvature of any point on the lane-changing trajectory as The disturbance is introduced into the calculation to discretize the curvature of the lane-changing trajectory at any stage k, so as to obtain a safe and economical vehicle speed trajectory during the lane-changing process. After the vehicle speed planning proposed in this paper, the fuel economy can be greatly improved, which can save about 7.63% of fuel and reduce the fuel consumption rate by 12.5%. Eventually, driverless cars will change lanes as needed to ensure lane-changing efficiency and safety while improving fuel economy. The research in this article provides a certain reference for the planning of vehicle lane change.
CitationLiu, L., Tan, G., Ling, H., Zeng, P. et al., "Research on Vehicle Lane Change Based on Vehicle Speed Planning," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0162, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0162.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Edition Department of China Journal of Highway and Transport A Review of Academic Research on Traffic Engineering in China China Journal of Highway and Transport 29 6 1 161 2016
- Meng , X. , Ma , Y. , and Sun , J. Cause Analysis of Traffic Accidents at Signalized Intersections of Urban Roads Traffic Engineering 20 03 1 6+13 2020
- Alia , C. , Reine , T. , and Ali , C. 2017 10.1109/ITSC.2017.8317856
- Hossein , T. , Kenji , M. , Keisuke , Y. , and Seiichi , M. Evaluating Human & Computer for Expressway Lane Changing IEEE 2014 10.1109/IVS.2014.6856522.
- Li , W. , Wang , J. , and Duan , J. Trajectory Planning of Intelligent Vehicle Lane Changing Based on Polynomial Computer Engineering and Applications 48 03 242 245 2012
- Yan , Y. , Li , C. , and Tang , F. Autonomous Vehicle Lane Changing Trajectory Planning Based on Fifth Degree Polynomial Model Machinery Design 36 08 42 47 2019
- Yang , Z. , Qi , Z. , and Huang , Y. Trajectory Planning of Lane Changing for Intelligent Vehicles Journal of Chongqing Jiaotong University (Natural Science) 32 3 520 524 2013
- Shim , T. , Adireddy , G. , and Yuan , H. Autonomous Vehicle Collision Avoidance System Using Path Planning and Model-Predictive Control-Based Active Front Steering and Wheel Torque Control Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 226 6 767 778 2012
- Pan , B. and Wang , Y. A Lane-Changing Trajectory model for Passenger Cars Based on Hyperbolic Tangent Function Journal of Jiangsu University (Natural Science Edition) 41 04 419 425 2020
- Zhang , X. , Xia , B. , and Zhang , F. Multi-Objective Planning of High-Speed Lane Changing Trajectory Based on V2V Journal of Jiangsu University (Natural Science Edition) 41 02 131 137 2020
- Zhang , G. , Zhu , M. , Chen , Y. et al. Three-Dimensional Trajectory Optimization of SAR Imaging Seeker Based on SQP Algorithm Computer Engineering and Science 34 4 145 150 2012
- Zhang , J. , Li , K. , Xu , B. , and Li , H. Vehicle Transient Fuel Consumption Estimation Based on Least Square Method Automotive Engineering 40 10 1151 1157 2018
- Jin , H. and Ding , F. Research on Economic Speed of Intelligent Vehicles Changing Lanes Automotive Engineering 40 05 542 546+553 2018
- Frberg , A. , Hellstrm , E. , and Nielsen , L. Explicit Fuel Optimal Speed Profiles for Heavy Trucks on a Set of Topographic Road Profiles SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1071 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1071
- Bellman , R. Dynamic Programming Princeton University Press 1957
- Li , P. , Wei , M. , and Hou , X. Modeling and Co-Simulation of Adaptive Cruise Control System Automotive Engineering 34 07 622 626 2012
- GB 5768.2 2017