This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application Controlled Secure Dynamic Firewall for Automotive Digital Cockpit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Automotive digital cockpit is growing multi-dimensionally through multiple numbers of applications for driver assistance and user activities. The exponential growth of diverse applications provides global connectivity to the vehicles, but it equally provides a passage for the global security threats to reach the automotive surface by increasing the attack surfaces on the vehicles. The controlled interaction of the vehicular applications with the external digital world protects vehicular confidentiality and integrity, where the violation of which affects the automotive safety and security. The controlled interaction of the applications is achieved through a firewall system either to pass or block traffic through the networking interface. The opening and closing of ports using static and dynamic firewall suffer from their own shortcomings, where those instances provide open ports for the attackers to launch the attacks by accessing the ports. Here a novel firewall mechanism is proposed to resolve the shortcomings of the traditional static and dynamic firewalls, where the application mapped IP table allows the interaction and communication through the network firewall manager. In the proposed approach, the network firewall manager provides bi-directional interface between ports and applications for requests and responses using the IP table. The application requests are routed to the specific applications through their uniquely assigned ID after validating the request in the firewall database which contains the application-specific firewall rules. The network firewall manager allows the applications to release or drop rules by the controlled communicationT with the intended applications using the assigned applications IDs by achieving multithreading. The approach handles the requests and responses through an application-specific control to eliminate the shortcomings of both static and dynamic firewalls by also maintaining a list of suspicious access.
- Anu Jawahar - Harman International India Pvt, Ltd.
- Anu Gupta - Harman International India Pvt, Ltd.
- Asadullah Ansari - Harman International India Pvt, Ltd.
- Rabindra Paikaray - Harman International India Pvt, Ltd.
- Sabarinathan Ravi - Harman International India Pvt, Ltd.
- Muthukumar Alagesan - Harman International India Pvt, Ltd.
CitationJawahar, A., Gupta, A., Ansari, A., Paikaray, R. et al., "Application Controlled Secure Dynamic Firewall for Automotive Digital Cockpit," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0140, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0140.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Navarikuth , M. , Neelakantan , S. , Sachan , K. , Singh , U.P. et al. A Dynamic Firewall Architecture Based on Multi-source Analysis CSI Transactions
- Alshamrani , A. , Chowdhary , A. , Mjihil , O. , Myneni , S. et al. Combining Dynamic and Static Attack Information for Attack Tracing and Event Correlation 2018 IEEE Global Communications Conference
- Sharma , R.K. , Kalita , H.K. , and Issac , B. Different Firewall Techniques: A Survey Fifth International Conference on Computing, Communications and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT)
- Cho , Y.H. , Navab , S. , and Mangione-Smith , W.H. Specialized Hardware for Deep Network Packet Filtering International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications 2002
- Feldman , A. and Muthukrishnan , S. Tradeoffs for Packet Classification IEEE INFOCOM 2000 2000
- Smith , B. and Garcia-Luna-Aceves , R. Efficient Policy-Based Routing without Virtual Circuits The First International Conference on Quality of Service in Heterogeneous Wired/Wireless Networks 2004
- Lakshman , T. , and Stiliadis , D. High-Speed Policy-Based Packet Forwarding Using Efficient Multi-Dimensional Range Matching Computer Commun. Rev. 28 4 203 214 Oct. 1998
- Grout , V. and McGinn , J. Optimization of Policy-Based Internet Routing Using Access Control Lists Proceedings of IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management May 2005
- Pesé , M. , Schmidt , K. , and Zweck , H. Hardware/Software Co-Design of an Automotive Embedded Firewall SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1659 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1659