This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Definition Map Based Motion Planning, and Control for Urban Autonomous Driving
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
This paper presents motion planning and control algorithm for urban automated driving using high-definition(HD) map. Many automakers have developed and commercialized advanced driver assistance system(ADAS) based on vision-only lane extraction in motorway environments. Compared to the motorway environments where the lane is continuous and clearly visible, however, in urban roads, degradation of the lane quality such as lane occlusion and lane loss occurs frequently. This leads to the poor quality of the local guide path for the autonomous vehicles with vision-only lane extraction. Global HD map is used to provide the lane information continuously instead of vision-only lane extraction. With the existence of global position of host vehicle and the HD map, the proposed sequential algorithm performs the lane keeping and lane changing decision and control with safety margin in multi-vehicle situation. The perceived surrounding vehicles are classified according to their road belonging and their future states are estimated based on probabilistic prediction. The motion planning algorithm determines the lane keeping or lane changing decision and corresponding reference states for control algorithm. The control algorithm determines the steering angle and longitudinal acceleration for the desired behavior with model predictive control(MPC) approach . The proposed algorithm has been validated via vehicle tests. The results show that the proposed motion planning and control method guarantees adequate safety distance with surrounding vehicles and appropriate ride quality in urban multi-vehicle traffic scenarios.
CitationYoon, Y., Chae, H., and Yi, K., "High-Definition Map Based Motion Planning, and Control for Urban Autonomous Driving," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0098, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0098.
- Mayne , D.Q. , Rawlings , J.B. , Rao , C.V. , and Scokaert , P.O. Constrained Model Predictive Control: Stability and Optimality Automatica 36 6 789 814 2000 10.1016/S0005-1098(99)00214-9
- Qureshi , K.N. , and Abdullah , A.H. A Survey on Intelligent Transportation Systems Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 15 5 629 642 2013 10.5829/idosi.mejsr.2013.15.5.11215.
- Ferguson , D. , Howard , T.M. , and Likhachev , M. Motion Planning in Urban Environments Journal of Field Robotics 25 11-12 939 960 2008 10.1002/rob.20265
- Kuwata , Y. , Teo , J. , Fiore , G. , Karaman , S. et al. Real-Time Motion Planning with Applications to Autonomous Urban Driving IEEE Transactions on control systems technology 17 5 1105 1118 2009 10.1109/TCST.2008.2012116
- Kim , J. , and Kum , D. Threat Prediction Algorithm based on Local Path Candidates and Surrounding Vehicle Trajectory Predictions for Automated Driving Vehicles Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2015 IEEE 10.1109/IVS.2015.7225849
- Seo , J. , and Yi , K. Robust Mode Predictive Control for Lane Change of Automated Driving Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 0148-7191 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0317
- Hillel , A.B. et al. Recent Progress in Road and Lane Detection: A Survey Machine Vision and Applications 25 3 727 745 2014 10.1007/s00138-011-0404-2
- Lefèvre , S. , Laugier , C. , and Ibañez-Guzmán , J. Exploiting Map Information for Driver Intention Estimation at Road Intersections Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2011 IEEE 10.1109/IVS.2011.594045
- Jian , Z. , Zhang , S. , Chen , S. , Lv , X. , and Zheng , N. High-Definition Map Combined Local Motion Planning and Obstacle Avoidance for Autonomous Driving Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2019 IEEE 10.1109/IVS.2019.8814229
- Kim , B. , and Yi , K. Probabilistic and Holistic Prediction of Vehicle States Using Sensor Fusion for Application to Integrated Vehicle Safety Systems IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 15 5 2178 2190 2014 10.1109/TITS.2014.2312720
- Mobileye mobileye.com https://www.mobileye.com/our-technology December 29, 2020
- Chae , H. , and Yi , K. Virtual Target-Based Overtaking Decision, Motion Planning, and Control of Autonomous Vehicles IEEE Access 8 51363 51376 2020 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2980391
- Domahidi , A. , and Jerez , J. http://embotech.com/FORCES-Pro 2014